Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Got to ride the 'lil 2 hunny around the neighborhood today. Holee shift lever bat man! A lot more shifting! It's gonna take a little getting used to but the the lil devil is pretty fun, definately a good bike when traction is good, she rips but ya godda spool 'er up and be agressive. Set the sag, spun a few clickers so I won't kill my self and it's ready to give a serious go with it now..

Rode the 2 fiddy too, set the sag and tested the new suspension, ahhhh it's cushy and controlled. :cool: Good job Troy.

Felt good to be on a bike even if it was just for a few minutes. :cool:

Just about all the snow was gone.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'll bet the scrambles area in Gladwin with the studded tires may be fun next weekend.
Maybe next Friday?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
SGJ_Johansen said:
what gearing are ya running?

stock 14/48. I'll wait until real conditions to try 14/46

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
SGJ_Johansen said:
what gearing are ya running?

Don't forget Fred has an xc which is semi-close or half-way between wide and close. Not wide like you're exc or a xcw.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
TCTrailrider said:
I,m running 14/24. Only way to tame the beast. A little gappy in the woods but I make up alot of time in transfer sections.

Try 14/14 and just leave it in first. :cool: OH by the way I did get a 6.6 stock on the bike and thats what it says in the manual, not a 6.3. :nener: So I have a 7.2, 6.9 and 6.6.

I rode around on the lawn again today, getting some nice berms made. :nod: The lil 200 will definately wheelie, thats for sure. I got a hardparts low seat so I had to test it out, it's lower and hard. Guess I'll just have to stand more. :yikes:

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
I rode around on the lawn again today, getting some nice berms made. :nod: The lil 200 will definately wheelie, thats for sure. I got a hardparts low seat so I had to test it out, it's lower and hard. Guess I'll just have to stand more. :yikes:[/QUOTE]
Will it really matter?

(This of course coming from someone, that when he stands you still can't see any light between him and the seat.)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
HeidiB said:
FredT,
Are you planning on putting a Rekluse on your new beauty?

It came in it when I bought it, so yes. It pulls the clutch just fine, plenty of motor.

HeidiB

Mar 7, 2006
Fred T said:
It came in it when I bought it, so yes. It pulls the clutch just fine, plenty of motor.
I have been contemplating getting one for my 200. Some people say it's not good for the 200 and others say it is.

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
HeidiB said:
I have been contemplating getting one for my 200. Some people say it's not good for the 200 and others say it is.

I love the Rekluse Pro on my '08 200. The clutch action on the 200 is IMO better than on a 250 with a Pro [read '04 & '08]. I've been told auto clutches will have better action on smaller bores due to less flywheel and crank mass. I'm running stock gearing and an aggressive PV engagement.

HeidiB

Mar 7, 2006
salgeek said:
I love the Rekluse Pro on my '08 200. The clutch action on the 200 is IMO better than on a 250 with a Pro [read '04 & '08]. I've been told auto clutches will have better action on smaller bores due to less flywheel and crank mass. I'm running stock gearing and an aggressive PV engagement.
That's great to hear. Gets the wheels turning again on getting one.

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
Freddy,
Why the XC instead of the xcw? When I bought my 02
I bought an MXC. After I wished I had bought an EXC. So I
split it and installed the wide ratio 5th and 6th gears in the tranny. (the stock exc tranny gears) Then I went one tooth bigger on the rear sprocket. That made the thing bark and still has plenty of top end speed. it seems if you go smaller on the rear it would make the 200 tranny gappy. Since I just bought an XCW I hope I am not missing something.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
wyatt said:
Freddy,
split it and installed the wide ratio 5th and 6th gears in the tranny. (the stock exc tranny gears) Then I went one tooth bigger on the rear sprocket. That made the thing bark and still has plenty of top end speed. it seems if you go smaller on the rear it would make the 200 tranny gappy. Since I just bought an XCW I hope I am not missing something.
Greg, Lots of guys running 14-45 or 46 on the XCW. Mine is 14-46 and real happy with the spacing. I felt 14-48 was between gears most of the time. DW went the other way., 14-50.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
I have a 09 200 XCW, last year I had an 08 200 XC (could not find a XCW) The only mods I have done is add a Gnarly pipe and shorty silencer. I plan to wait until I ride the W prior to changing any gearing and at that time I will discard the o-ring chain. I am looking for more worthy modifications. I am considering the auto clutch. any sugestions would be appreciated. What is an aggressive PV? I assume this is power valve and I was unaware of any adjustments. I found on the 08 that in order to go fast you must be on the pipe at all times. It does not "chug" well like my 07 300. I like all the low end power I can get even at the expense of top end.

Fred B.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Fred B, PV is powervalve and is adjustable on the 200. The adjuster is under the big nut on the clutch side of cases. You can set powervalve to open early, late or anywhere in between. The difference is amazing. Mine opens sooner than stock setting. The hit is earlier and adds to bottom. Strong but linear in the woods. Do a search on KTMtalk, lots of info.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
TCTrailrider said:
Greg, Lots of guys running 14-45 or 46 on the XCW. Mine is 14-46 and real happy with the spacing. I felt 14-48 was between gears most of the time. DW went the other way., 14-50.
I went 14-50 because it does a nice job with 5th & 6th gear as it pulls really nice through the whoops. I never use 1st gear on the W modles anyways - 2nd & 3rd are excellent in the really tight knarly stuff. And I like the added snap off the bottom. This set up is not for everyone, so don't run out and buy a 50T because you think it is a "Must have"....I know of another AA rider that prefers the 14-46 over the 14-50, so there you have it.

As far as power valve - carb jetting and other mods...Mums the word. ;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
wyatt said:
Freddy,

Well all Steve had was the XC, and it was a smoking deal so I got it. I wanted to try something different, and this bike has the CC forks and the closer ratio tranny. It's a play bike anyway and HS bike so I think the XC will be good for that. I don't plan to enduro it as far as I know unless conditions dictate it's the better bike for them. This bike is going to need good traction to ride the way it needs to be ridden IMHO. (Drop the hammer and let her eat!)

Ck out this graph I had some one make me to show the difference between the XC and XCW with stock gearing.

Now according to this 1st is just a tad taller (Which I hear is a good thing) , 2nd, 3rd and 4th are identical and 5th and 6th are shorter on the XC. (What DW likes) so this may be pretty good other than I know it ain't gonna scream down the roads fast, but that's OK. The new law dictates i should only be going 25MPH anyway. :nod: Most HS situations won't allow for much more top speed than 50 anyway.

Attachments

• 200xc.JPG
    200xc.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 171

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Good graph. The 200's are different than the other KTM's. The W has a lower 1 and taller 6. 2-3-4 are basically identical and 5 is very close. Only time you would know what bike you are riding is in dead slow or road sections. Either is a great bike.

HeidiB

Mar 7, 2006
Great info.
Can anyone suggest an ideal gearing for doing enduros on my 200 which is an 02 MXC? It's a pretty feisty abrupt motor. More nasty than the newer years. It also has the stock jetting which is extremely spoogy.

I like the idea of the Rekluse because of all the clutching I have to do. Me wimpy hand gets tired. :(

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
HeidiB said:
Great info.
Can anyone suggest an ideal gearing for doing enduros on my 200 which is an 02 MXC? It's a pretty feisty abrupt motor. More nasty than the newer years. It also has the stock jetting which is extremely spoogy.

I like the idea of the Rekluse because of all the clutching I have to do. Me wimpy hand gets tired. :(

A straight taper needle will calm the motor down and smooth it out quite a bit. CCK and CCL are available from Sudco, start in clip 3 with a 42p and a 168mj. This is all from research i have done and I obviously have not used them, but the straight taper needles won't have the "hit" that the triple taper stock needles have.

EDIT: Your bike has the 38 MM carb so this main and pilot may be wrong, keep what you have in it and just stick a needle in it if you desire to smooth out the hit. Jetting will make the biggest difference.

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
QUOTE=HeidiB]Great info.

I like the idea of the Rekluse because of all the clutching I have to do. Me wimpy hand gets tired. :([/QUOTE]

Heidi - my son has a 03 200 MXC - very similar to your 02. When we first set it up for him it was his first bike (he came from a quad finally!) - we installed a 9 oz flywheel weight, G2 Throttle cam with the least agressive cam, dialed in the jetting with a straight taper needle etc. (I totally forget what we ended up with - if you are interested I can see if we took any notes), and adjusted the powervalve to the "langston setting", and ended up with a FMF Gnarly pipe on it. It also has some mototassarini reeds in it. End result was very tractable and managable power delivery. As his skill improved we ended up going to a more agressive cam on the G2 (the middle cam), and set the powervalve to a more agressive setting. We toyed with removing the flywheel weight, but ended up leaving it on as it really helps with the stalling in tight slow rocky rooty stuff, without totally killing the rev on the motor (it does slow it down and smooth out the hit though).

Getting the jetting right was very important - if it is rich down low, then clears its throat, and that fiesty motor hits it can get ya... plus as Fred said, the straight taper needle helps smooth things out a great deal as well. The rest of our mods really worked out well as they are easy to tweek to more or less agressive, or back to stock. The G2 throttle is fantastic - very easy to swap from standard cam (just like a stock throttle), back and forth to the more agressive cams. The different cams allow for a more progressive throttle feed in - makes throttle control much easier to manage. Very helpful to control the hit, and to manage traction in slick conditions. As the throttle opens further, it becomes more and more like stock - so it takes nothing away from what the motor can do - just makes it easier to work with and use. Likewise the powervalve adjustment is very quick and easy to do - and has a big impact on power delivery - and again, you can easily go back to stock. The flywheel weight is not quite so easy to tweek - it is either there or not! I was concerned the weight would kill the zip in the motor - it really does not, it along with our other mods makes that one sweet bike. I wont be suprised if next year Mitch takes the weight off though just to see. If he does that, my guess is he would go to a less agressive G2 cam, or tweek the powervalve a tad.

As to gearing - he started out running 14/48 (stock). Last spring we did the MCCCT ride with Young Ted, so he wanted a bit more top speed for the road sections, so we went to a 45 rear sprocket. We assumed he would end up wanting that removed for enduros or tight woods - ended up leaving it on as he really liked it. With the taller gearing he found that first was much more useable (it was a bit to low before) and it pulled the gaps between gears just fine.

Actually, after spending more time riding Mitch's 200, I have been seriously considering a 200 for my next bike (long before the current "fad" among the MTR riders here! :cool: ). Maybe once the kid heads off to college next year I may have to give his bike some regular "exercise" - you know - to keep it ready to ride etc. just letting a bike sit in the garage is not good for it after all... :p

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mike, i believe the "old" MXC had a tighter transmission sequence than the newer XC's do. With out some motor mods the newer ones may not like -3 T on the back sprocket. But maybe it will, I'll try stock and then a 46 on the rear to see what I like best. I've got 2-3 needles to try too. N1EI, NOZG and "New" JD red designed for the 200.

Top Bottom