Strach

Nov 22, 2000
I'm in the process of breaking in my new WR;) I can start the bike first kick hot or cold almost all the time. I'm concerned about a weird burble or miss I'm experiencing which seems to be getting worse. Has anyone else experienced this during the breakin period? It almost feels like its not getting gas sometimes:think The jetting is all stock (I've removed just the snorkel) and I'm @ normal elevations. I don't want to start tearing into the bike yet I've only had it a week! Any info you can provide to a newbie to the wonderful WR world would be greatly appreciated!
Strach

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
If the bike is going
fire,fire,fire, duh and then pauses, fire,fire,fire, duh and then pauses
Most of the four-stroke's i've been around do this. I guess it's normal. Check your plug. White= lean Rich= Black,Carbon etc Tan= Perfecto

Chugger

Nov 7, 2000
Why did you remove the snorkel? Did you change the jetting when you removed the snorkel? Did it do this before you took off the snorkel?

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Broke in Two

Strach:
Where is the "miss" or Burble or hesitation coming on.....?
I have broke in two of these bikes and not sure where you are in Jetting with the Can models.....I had the same thing....(hesitation around 3000 or so.....pulling right off idle.....started to get bad the more hours I had on it.......then from this forum....did the following and it is wonderful!!!

1. They like to idle fast....
2. I went 1/4 turn MORE out on the fuel jet.....than stock (big big help)
3. Needle is in stock position
4. Main is now one larger than stock.

Thats it.....we run at sea level, good pump gas 92-93 octane, all restriction garbage out (snorkle, exhaust, throttle limiter etc)
I understand that you dont have some of this....?
Hope this helps....would type longer but it is already in the lower 70s, and I am loaded and headed to go ride.....(real hot "82" here today is predicted ;) )
Good luck......
HR :cool:

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
Hello!
Thanks for your info! I'm @ 2800 above sea level. I checked the plug and it was black (rich) I went down to a 165 (170 stock) and its still missing at about 3000 RPM on. I did notice that its ok till it gets hot:think The Canadian models have a snorkel but no limiter or baffle in the exhaust. Are these things finicky? I'll try adjusting the pilot screw (fuel jet?) and see if that helps.
Any other suggestions please let me know! Thanks
Strach

marklb

Aug 5, 2000
I am breaking mine in and having a similar problem. I also have a yzf250 and once it was broken in it starts right up and it works great. Here is my dael. I am in Phoenix at about 1500ft. I have a yosh pipe w/ stock main, lowered the needle 1 clip and am fussing w/ the fuel screw. I went up to 3500 ft and it did not like to run good at 300rpm so try lowering the needle 1 clip. My problem is the hesitation at idle and right above idle, do you have this? I can't tell if it is rich or lean. I am also getting fuel from the overflow so I will ck the float level. I would suggest the needle move first! let me know if you are having any of the same problems! Thx Marklb

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
Hello!
Mine is fine off the bottom, but @ about 3000RPM or so it bogs and hesitates something awful all the way through the rpm range. I'm going to try the pilot screw (I'm assuming that's the fuel jet as Hawaii-rider called it?) The Canadian versions have the needle in position 4 (leaner) than the US models. It starts fine hot or cold. I'm puzzled why it would be fine until it gets hot:think Could it be a timing or valve problem:scream:
Strach

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
Hello!
I went stock on the main jet (170), went 1.5 turns out on the pilot screw and lowered the needle to position 3 and bike runs great! I was wrong that the Canadian version is 1 position leaner on the needle , when it was richer. :confused:

What can I expect with YZ timing? I'm getting mixed reports. More bottom less top and vice versa. Less midrange hit or more?:think
Strach

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
WR's are Trail/ enduro bike's. More bottom. YzF's are More supercross and they will have a Top Timing diagram from the factory but I wouldn't be suprised if the Factory Team's Run the WrF's timing to gain some bottom for the supercrosses tight track.

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Feels like Warm Apple Pie.........

oops wrong forum.......:eek:
Strach......here is a link to a post I made after I did the timing change.
Bottom line both my son and I prefer the bike with the change for a lot of reasons. I have been riding for a few years (no comments) and my son is a beginner. IMHO.....with the change it is just overall better.......and the way the motor should have shipped. my $ .02 worth.....($.04 Canadian I think ??)
Hope this helps........if not, give me an email.
be good, ride warm up there!!!!
HR :cool:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=12769[/URL]

Last edited:

Top Bottom