WR400 Clutch Problems? Help...

rv_red

Jun 3, 2001
'00 WR400F
I'm not sure, but I think I'm having a clutch problem. I discovered this today. When I start the clutch engages, (with less power than usual) if I put power on the bike rev's and then it seems to start hooking up slowly.

I have played with the clutch cable adjuster, but I have run out of threads to move the cable tension.

Does this mean I have worn clutch plates? I'm thinking about doing the repair myself, so does anyone have any advise?

-----
rooster -
Riverton, Utah

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
I can't quite follow your description. Are you saying that the clutch drags now when you have the lever pulled in(disengaged) all the way? The bike tends to creep forward as you rev the engine a little with the lever in?

By the way, there is another adjuster at the actuator lever on top of the engine case.

Last edited:

rv_red

Jun 3, 2001
The clutch doesn't catch or hookup (it slips) when fully let go. I have adjusted the minute adjuster on the clutch lever and on the left engine side. Both have been taken in all the way to get the correct freeplay in the lever.

When I have the clutch diengaged and rev the engine the bike doesn't creek forward. I think if this were the case, I could get it to repsond to adjustments.

The other adjustment you are talking about, where is it. The service manual doesn't show anything other on the clutch lever and the left engine side on the clutch pull rod.

rv_red

Jun 3, 2001
Problem Fixed

I just picked up 8 new friction plates and installed them. I adjusted the cable back and I'm back in business. The friction plates in the middle were severly worn, so that must have been the problem.

Can anyone tell me what causes this? I don't abuse the clutch, I mostly ride trail and some hound and hare races, but I use the clutch for start and stop only. Can over heat cause this?

Anyway, it's an easy job to do as long as you don't have to remove the clutch boss.

-
Rooster
Riverton, Utah
'00 Yamaha WR400

Top Bottom