XR250 leak by kickstarter, can I fix it??

nkd

Mar 3, 2000
It never ends, I had gotten my 95 XR250 running really great,
even took it to work the other day (dualsport kit). Anyway,
I now notice a leak by the kickstarter, is that easy to fix??
Also, I had asked awhile back about changing my springs in
the front forks, I loosened everything and they still won't come out. Any suggestions?? I followed the manual's directions.
Thanks,
Nancy;)

John K

Feb 22, 2000
Replace the seal. I've heard of people using certain "liquids" to swell the seal up and get a little more life out of it, but that pretty much seems like a waste of time. I replaced the kickstarter seal on an old XR6 ('88) I used to have. from memory I took the clutch cover off and then removed the seal. Thinking about it now it's quite possible that if you laid your bike down on its side and VERY carefully removed to old seal (this could be a little tricky) it wouldn't be real hard to put the new one on. If you do it this way lube up the kicstarter shaft to avoid damaging the seal while replacing it. I'd probably do this even if you take the cover off when you slide it back on. I'm assuming the 95 250's are similar. Anyone else know?

djcash2000

Jun 25, 2000
XR seal

If it is any thing like my XR600 (96) then it is simple. I just ordered a side plate gasket when I ordered the new bearing and seal. I dont believe that you access through a clutch cover since the XR ususally dont have a separate cover for the clutch. You remove that whole side plate being careful do loosen and tighten eveningly so as to not bend the cover. Clean off the gasket material before putting it all back together. On the XR6 there is also a screen to clean at the bottom of the engine that is convenient to clean since you have it a part. I ended up leaving it on its side for a couple of weeks due to time constraints and ended up getting dirt in the carb from the gas tank. That was more of a hassle.
Dave

John K

Feb 22, 2000
I wasn't implying that it had a seperate clutch cover, merely using "clutch cover" and "flywheel / stator cover" as descriptions as to which side I'm talking about. When I did mine I only replaced the seal. I was merely commenting that the seal may be able to be done without removing the "side plate". I can as I said remember removing the, "side plate" however.

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
Nancy,
Do you mean that you can't lift the fork caps off after loosening them? If this is the case...do you have the front end completely off of the ground? Anyway, if you do, you need to slightly lower the front wheel on the ground to allow the caps to push up. Don't lower it too much cause it will just keep going down! Then you can slide a wrench in the top of the spring to hold the nut at the top of the damper rod (maybe 17mm?). While holding the damper nut, unscrew the fork cap from the damper rod.

Hope this is of some help.

Top Bottom