Yelling at slow riders

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
Some guys have ponytails too so that isn't the best gender identifier out there.

The riders that are yelling at you as a means to intimidate you need a lesson in sportsmanship. At best fate will determine which ones get a lesson.

When I'm riding well, I barely notice distractions other than my compitition and the track/trail. I'll notice sound but won't even register what is said. It's just a sound like another bike reving. I now its hard but try to ride your own race, focus your mental energies on riding loose, relaxed and look as far ahead as you can. At the next race you may notice someone yelling at you but won't hear what they said.

Basically they are jerks, every sport has them. Ignore them and concentrate on riding and having fun. Oh by the way, practice brake sliding into corners then power sliding out. I think these generate the most roost so the next time one of these idiots yells at you then crashes, give them a face full of roost!

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Great idea but I'd probably fall down if I tried. I must confess I'm a little spoiled. While I love tight stuff for riding, racing in it is a whole different story. My first 3 hare scrambles were in Spokane. There is a field with some rocks in it, and the mx track. They paint the big rocks orange. The most difficult part of the course is the part where you have to push your bike across the entrance road (the club doesn't want us tearing up their newly paved road :think ) then get back on since you're tired. But racing in it is so different since it's so open--you never have to worry about someone getting stuck behind. There are no bottlenecks except at checks.

I really need to work on my riding skills but now that I'm out for a month all I can do is think about it. I wish I could learn how to ride the same way Keanu learned kung fu in The Matrix!

EZ

Jul 18, 2001
Great advise from DKT735,
Some people will always be jerks.U have to learn to ignore them and ride your own race.Easier said than done I know.But he's right.When I get flustrated,I have to slow down and relax to go fast again.I try to forget about all the people racing and try to think of it as a trail ride for a while.

New bikes can take a long to to adapt to.Thats 1 reason I've been on CR500's since 1990.(thou I took a long,injury related break in there)Don't worry.U'll get it worked out.

BTW,I'm on a month long vacation from riding also.Broken&mashed finger(work).Just as I was getting some speed and conditioning back.It's flustrating.

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good thing Smitty already replied.

Smitty can really yell, he's fast too. Even though I've visited with him several times, I would not recognize his voice on the phone unless he yelled,"Hey,hey,hey". Some areas of trails are just not suited to pass. If you are a slower rider and you KNOW some faster riders are gaining on you look for convenient place to pull over. If you can't, then pull over the first chance you get. If they want to pass off of the main trail, fine. Don't put yourself at risk for the THEIR time but be courteous whether you are passing or being passed.
Actually, Smitty yells,"Moooove!"

Last edited:

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
<<Enduro rider. I think yelling Heh,Heh,Hehhhhhhhh works best. Usually an enduro rider will move a little to the right so you can past,although sometimes you wake them up alittle,and they speed up.Some people even whistle to get by. I think letting a slower rider knowing you are on his tail makes the sport safer for both riders involved:cool:

Last edited:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Passing and being passed is part of the race. Some guys are nice about it, some aren't . When the going gets tight, I pull over and stop, or slow down, at the next available open area after I hear someone come up behind me. I'd rather stop for a split second than have someone take me out while trying to get around me. It saves both of us a lot of effort.

When the trails are wider, I'll move to one side without stopping. The fast guys can always find a way around. Yeah, we're racing too, but it's race courtesy to let the faster riders by. I rarely have anyone swear at me. Most will yell HEY or rev their bike. Usually, I already know they are there, I'm just trying to get through a tight section or up a hill before I move over. Remember, that most of the others in your class will have to pull over or stop as well, so you're not losing that much time.

It does work. Last weekend, our harescramble race was on a short 4.5 mile course. I was getting passed all day, in tight sections and in more open sections. I would stop if necessary, and pull over for faster riders, dozens of times. I raced the trail, and myself, not the people behind me. I pulled off my best finish yet, 2nd place, and completed the same number of laps (5) as the leader of our class.

About the only thing that irritated me was when I'd pull over for one racer, and then 4 or 5 more would freght train along with the first! :think

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Lori - Excellent reply. In reading some of these posts I'm disgusted at the number of people who don't yield and claim to antagonize faster riders on the trail. There's nothing wrong with being courteous to other riders/competitors. You never know when you'll need the favor returned. I sure hope you don't run into your clone out on the trail someday. I guess that's why I prefer enduros over hare scrambles.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
I can't say I have ever been swore at on the track. I have been alerted to someone's presence before, which I appreciate. Usually it is in the form of yelling "On your left" or "On your right" which allows us to know which way to go. Even if I hear a faster rider coming up, even before he yells, I usually move my slow self over to the side. I have been T-Boned before by someone at a high rate of speed. Kind of like the Brown/Fonseca move. It hurts bigtime. I am out there for the fun of it. If it'll improve someone's elses enjoyment if I move over, so be it. Now if I made a living at it and I was not being lapped, it might be a whole different story.

Last edited:

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
I wouldn't stereotype all MXers as bad! Until 2 years ago, I never even seen
an enduro. I give alot of credit to enduro riders. Any body can go fast around an MX track for 4-5 laps. Enduro riders go fast for 2-3 hours:eek: The one thing that surprised me and impressed me was the thank you's as I was being passed:cool: I don't agree with yelling profanities, etc at slower riders, if your a decent rider, you will be able to get by the slower rider, it may take a turn or two, but trying to take the guy out in front of you probably will cost you more time then just hanging on till the person in front gives a foot or two for you to pass. (by the way, usually if some one hits me in the back tire, HE is going down, not me) I give a lot of credit to anyone, guys, girls and kids that ride enduros. I think that it is great that they are out there even trying. And since I don't make my living on dirtbikes, I will not endanger someone to pass them, and anybody that does is an idiot:scream:
On the other hand, people in front do need to head riders coming up from behind, when possible. Not as soon as the rider catches up, but as soon as safely possible. The gives and takes of enduro riding :D

ANGIE

May 29, 2001
Idiots

That is what I call some of these people. I had an incident with a person like that this past weekend. And it wasn't the kind of pass like I want to go faster. It was the chick thing. All day long a friend of mine and I were catching these comments relative to females and we go too slow. It wasn't a race it was a leisure ride in the woods. We decided to go one certain area which they exclaimed they had already been to twice that day. We thought good no a$$----- to tag along. Before you knew it here they come. In order to finally pass me he had to slam it sideways in a corner to do it. Now I had slowed down several times to let this guy pass, but I guess he just had to make an "impression". He did I don't want to ride the same piece of dirt with him again!!!! At the end of the day my friend said he came over to apologize. Luckily, for him, I was still out riding.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Just out of curiosity, what area was that Angie? Most people down here are great to ride with, but every now and then....

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
I try to move out of the way when being passed and several times I've crashed when trying to move over, so I've learned not to try so hard that I take myself out. If I come up behind someone, I don't yell. They know I'm there and they'll move over when they can. If they don't, I'll get around them when I can, without knocking into them. If by accident, I do make contact with them, and they crash, I will stop and help if needed and apologize. The one that chaps me is during practice when I'm taking it easy trying to learn the trail and someone comes up wide open like the race is that day and gets mad at you. I've had it happen twice now and the next time it happens, I'll just slam on my brakes and after he picks himself up from running into the back of me, he can decide which side he wants to go around. :p

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22

The mx-ers seem to think all trail riders are old farts on rat bikes, and the off-road guys think mx racers are whiny punks with piercings who are afraid to get their bike dirty. Ever notice how here at DRN, there are more off-road riders in comparison to mx racers? And how the opposite is true at the ever contentious Dirtbike.com?

i must be some sort of dirt bike mutation. i am an old fart but i try to have nice equipment. i'm along way from being a whiny punk and i've never had nor never will have any piercings but i do try to keep my bike clean.
i've never been to dirtbike.com and probably won't ever go (i've heard too many negative things about it). i've raced in probably 500+ motos, two motorcycle rodeos and one enduro. maybe i'm a little different because i started out riding on trails then got into mx. so i've had a little experience from both sides.

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
When Guy Perrett (of Fox video fame) passed me at the Monkey Wrench a few months ago, he screamed "WOOOO HOOO!" It was pretty cool. Really nice guy.

As a beginner rider, I believe we should yield to the faster riders. By that I mean, we should get out of the way but they know we are racing, too. Just slow a bit and allow some room. I always verbally thank those who do it for me.

Now I don't know who is behind me usually. Is it someone in my class? Well, I could try and hold them off but chances are if they caught up to me they are faster and I'm just going to wear myself out and crash trying to keep them behind me. If they caught up to me because I made a mistake, I'll let them pass because I know that if I am faster, I'll pass them soon enough.

I was passed by a bunch of people at Toasted. They will get around me a lot faster if they give me a verbal signal or a motor rev. Personally, I don't care what they yell. Some people are jerks no matter what you do. If they want to get around me, I let them as quickly as I can. Then I can jump on their butts and ride them until they crash!

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
Sometimes after listening to my WR for 60 mile I can't here a bike coming up to me. When I hear a hey! or Yo! I will move to one side or pick up the pace until I get to a passable spot. Most of the time you get a thanks. If I'm stuck 3/4 the way up a steep hill I will try to move or tilt my bike and expect to be used for traction. Of course I will do the same if it means I'll make the crest. Now that my bike is Dual Sported I honk the horn to pass and yell a thanks. This is a race and I don't expect anyone to stop or crash on my account. I would rather go out and have fun than look at my bike for months with the injuries I use to get. I was lapped by all the top pro riders in a National Hare Scramble. They get by you in anything with ease. I think they have a sandwich in one hand and look like they are on pavement.

Oh Good Job Lori my best finish ever was a 3rd place.

Last edited:

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Ok, I admit it. I yell at people. Sorry. But I don't cuss at them, or call them names. But if I'm in the heat of a battle, I'll yell to get their attention, distract them, whatever. And if they don't move, I'll keep yelling till they do. But I try not to be rude, which people think yelling in any form is, but thats racing. Sometimes though, if someone cuts over on me, and nearly hits me, well, my yelling might get alittle louder:p But personally, I find the best kind of yelling to un-nerve someone is to be a mellow yeller. More like talking to them. I remember once in a long battle with someone, I just kept going "I'm coming to get ya", "here I come" etc. I blew his mind, especially since it was a 25 minute moto. He pulled over. Unfortunately, I learned that from someone who did that to me, with equal results!:o

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Yelling.........

I do move to the side to let faster rider by...and i do try not to be a rolling roadblock....i think it's ok to yell to let somebody know your there (something polite is as efficient as obscenities ..) Some things needs to be clarified though...Mr WR with the ultranoisy Kaboompipe : how do i let you know i'm there without showing you a wheel when i ride a quiet ktm and yelling won't do ?? MR CR 500 :how can my friend on a 200 can pass you if on every straight you gas it hard to prevent him of doing so ???(friend have 58 sec faster average lap time on a 15 km track ?) Yeah, he yelled profanities at you...most off road rider i raced with where really courteous but there is a few ....GRRRR!!! The idea i think is to be courteous and to pass and let others pass safely,i did't yell to Mr Wr (it was of no use anyway)but i did take note of is number and politely thanked him for letting me by after the race ..he remembered me...he was very startled when i showed him a wheel in a corner (as safely as possible BTW), he was a little upset about that ,saying i could have downed him....what was i to do ? stay beind without doing anything ?i warned him the only way i could (i did't ram him ,just showed him my front wheel on the inside) and he moved over to let me by out of fear it seems...he said he will look over is shoulder more in the future...So be polite ,ride safe and roost on !!

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22
If I’m riding slower than whoever is behind me wants to go, then PASS and get it over with! I am not going to move! I am racing too and your job is to go around slower riders. That is the point of a race.
I would disagree with the above. If someone comes up behind you in a harescramble it's your job to get out of the way. The job of whoever comes up on you is to get by safely. I frequently come up on people who are just a little slower than I am. It's sometimes hard to safely get by these riders in the woods. By not moving out of the way you're putting yourself and the person trying to get by in danger not to mention holding them up and pissing them off. Odds are they aren't coming up behind you because they are slower.

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
Firecracker has it right

It's easier to catch the rider in front than pass him. If you're faster, then get past! If you can't, maybe it's because you can't. Backmarkers are the same problem for everybody. They usually don't try and hold up faster riders, but they don't have to run over themselves getting out of the way either. There's always some place to get by. Whether it's the patience of the rider behind getting to a passing zone, or the fear of the rider in front causing him to yield, well that's racing!

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Quadrunner,

You must have NO idea of what is going on in the woods. A lot of times, there simply is not room to pass, and to expect us faster riders to find a way around the slower riders is ridiculous. They should slide to side and let us by, at least if they don't enjoy being parked in the timber.

Consider this analysis of F-22's race. Most likely, the C class runs with the Women's group. Therefore, the riders who were passing, would be lapping riders. If I meet a lapper and he does not yield promptly, I will have to admit- the language is gonna get ugly.... ponytail or no ponytail. :eek:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by MN KDXer
. . . to expect us faster riders to find a way around the slower riders is ridiculous. They should slide to side and let us by, at least if they don't enjoy being parked in the timber.
We think pretty highly of ourselves, don't we?:silly:

Your lucky you don't ride around here, 'cause if you try to "park" me, you'll end up right on the ground next to me! There's always room if you have the skill you claim to have. You need to look beyond the end of your front fender once in a while.

Doofus :silly:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
This may be a bit brash, but ya know....kitchens are hot, and if one really doesn't care for all the heat it takes to cook the roast....they go to Arby's instead.:p

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by MN KDXer
Quadrunner,

You must have NO idea of what is going on in the woods. A lot of times, there simply is not room to pass, and to expect us faster riders to find a way around the slower riders is ridiculous.
......... If I meet a lapper and he does not yield promptly, I will have to admit- the language is gonna get ugly.... ponytail or no ponytail. :eek:

Ignorant little man. I invite you to park me. I think you'll enjoy the show. Pony tail or not.

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
If you ride enduros get out of the way if someone is behind you!!! I make a big point of getting out of the way for faster riders as I expect the same for those that are slower than me. If they move over I thank them, if it takes a while I normally say nothing, if they have some attitude about it then I will make the pass any way it can be done! If you dont like it go on a trail ride somewhere other than the enduro or ask for the last min. I have dealt with lots of butt heads that just wont get over, then when the trail opens up to a double track the idiot will try to race you. Its ok for some of us to take it seriously and if you dont go some where else!

Now a hair scramble is different, I dont let people by if they are only slightly faster, the real fast guys make the pass regardless. Out here in the west things are not as tight and you can normally make passes pretty easily. Dont expect the same courtesy as you would in a enduro, you got to work for it like a mx.

Top Bottom