Yelling at slow riders

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
I guess it's different in different parts of the country. I've ridden NETRA, VCHSS, FTR and Mid South harescrambles. In most cases they cover this at the riders meeting. "If someone comes up behind you it's because they are going faster than you. Get out of the way." Sure there are exceptions. Sometimes there are long sections of single track woods trails where you just can't get by. I was in front of Scott Summers (being lapped of course) in a section like that. He yelled, I moved. Can you imagine me being so arrogant as to hold him up just because I was racing too?

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Common Sense!
Someone comes up behind you, get out of the way WHEN YOU CAN. No one has the right to expect for you to cut new trail in order to get out of the way.
If a faster guy comes up behind me I'll move every time, I consider it courtesy. I will not move if it means I am going to get in trouble. I'll wait for the first opening and then move. No one has showered me with profanities yet( I have never had the pleasure of being passed by MN Kdxer yet :p ) nor have I ever yelled at anyone else.
Hare Scrambles are different, no question, but still, on the tight trails the same rules apply, in my book anyways.
Common sense!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Part of my problem stemmed from the fact that one of these oh-so-impatient riders did NOT take advantage of the opportunity to use an alternate line more than once. He was a “throttle on brain off” rider and was faster than me, but also more all over the place. There were 2 or 3 places where the trail split and there were lines to the right and the left, and also wide corners where he could have gone inside me. But he didn’t. He didn’t have enough skill to pass me correctly and got pissed that I didn’t pull over. So that pissed me off. I don’t have a problem with faster riders—almost everyone else is faster than me right now—but I will not sacrifice my position (such as it was) nor my stability in bad conditions to let someone around me who can’t do it right. Why didn’t he take the other line when he could? The trails were wide, I stayed to the right. He probably had target fixation or something. But he started cussing me out and I pulled off and stopped because I was afraid he’d try to ram me or something. Now THAT pissed me off.

It IS all about respect. He didn’t respect my right to be there. It may or may not have anything to do with my gender—it might have looked like I just had a mud glob stuck to the back of my jersey. I doubt he noticed or cared. Riders like him scare me.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
Sorry to bust the bubble but coming from a really slow rider (me) I have to agree with MN Kdxer on this, as much as it pains me to do so :)
While I agree that one should do their best to get out of the way, I don't think "parking" someone is good policy. All I'm saying is that if a guy tries to park me, he's gonna be on the ground with me. It's happened before, and it'll happen again. I do what I can to get out of the way, and I appreciate those who get out of my way as well.

You gotta remember, it is just a shiny piece of plastic . . .:D

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
One thing that I want to make clear is I dont hold up pros or very fast riders in a HS, I will not however pull over for some one that might be in my class, who is slightly faster. That is racing, they have to earn it. The last HS I did a guy did swear at me when he got by, I got lucky and re passed him and gave him the bird, racing mx or hs is a aggresive and emotional sport.

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Whoa!! Looks like I need to run my posts thru the DRN PC filter next time. Looks like some grundies got the full 360 out of my reply. :eek:

XR P & W, you guys really don't need to take this soooo personally; what I am referring to, is that the slower rider is going to get run into the timber if he tries to keep the passing rider at bay. Let me explain- Typically, at least in MN, the C riders ride an earlier + shorter race, and aren't even on the course during the AA, A & B race. (good thing, IMO; sometimes they make us look bad) ;) The AA & A riders usually start ahead of the B riders. Therefore, unless the faster rider had some bike trouble, the most common pass will be a lapping situation. (of course, there are B riders catching the A riders as well. I hated that; especially when it was my 13 yr kid being the first B rider passing me.) But anyways, when the lapping rider meets the slower rider, it is COMPLETELY futile for the lapped rider to resist; he/she is GOING to get passed. (I've been on both ends of the equation, btw) Of course, this submissive behavior can be an advantage for a late race charge; all those guys who were tough guys early in the race will easily cave, surrendering the position they defended for the past 2 hours. Been there and done that!!! :p

& BTW, I'm a bit surprised that you two are so quick to downgrade my riding skills. Ask Grunk250R, MN Baja, Magoo, or JEB if you are interested in how well/poorly I ride. Or check www.armca.org And, while you're there, give a little applause for that 14 yr old who just won the 200A Enduro championship and is headed to AA next season.

Lastly.... Ivan agrees with ME!!!!????? :scream: Just how cold is it today?? :)

So, party on guys! XR Wolf, perhaps you'll be at Millville HS on 9/16 and we'll compare skills?

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Ive onyl read FC 22's post so bare with me. As for people yelling at others, i dont bother with that, usually just hit into there back tyre and they get the message, or other way is to t-bone. If someone infornt of you is slower and they dont move over and hold you up its the only way.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by MN KDXer
....XR Wolf, perhaps you'll be at Millville HS on 9/16 and we'll compare skills?

I have no doubt that you are smokin'fast. Even more reason not to have to resort to parking and profanities. That is my only point.
I was wound a little tight yesterday, I'll lay off the coffee today, that should fix it.;)
Milville is on my schedule, if I get my new mount by then.

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
XRW-

Nah, I'm not exactly fast, at least not compared to AA riders. I usually finish mid to upper-mid A class. My KID is the smokin' fast rider in our house.

Get that new bike, and we'll see you at Millville HS. Look for an RM250 #441; no yelling when you pass me, now you hear? :eek:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by firecracker22
What do you mean? How did you take it? The point is, I don't have a problem getting out of the way, I just don't want some idiot behind me calling me names because he doesn't have the skill to pass without me pulling off the course entirely.

Suggestion: try enduros, FC22, and have a big friend on your row. You'll see the people in front and behind you again at the start, the long resets, and the gas stop. I agree with you that the profanity belongs elsewhere, regardless of the type of competition.

Personally I pull over if the rider behind me is faster than me. Chances are if they are faster then they are an experienced A or AA rider. These guys know how to make road pizza out of people and keep right on going. No thanks. I walk around at the start and look at the 3 rows behind me so I know whether or not to be looking out for fast guys and let them know that I'll get out of the way when I hear them, try to go to the right, and will raise my hand to acknowledge their presence in tight single track so they don't knock me down. I will pull into the brush and stop if that is the only way they can get around.

Anyway, back to the big friend. If you feel like you are being abused by some pissant, then make sure they know about it when you catch up to them at the gas. It does not belong in the sport.

When it comes to slower riders in front of me, again I try to address this at the start. Slow often means inexperienced at enduros, so if I see a rider of this type on the row in front of me I mention that me and my buds will be coming by at some time depending on the speed average. Chances are you'll get hung up behind them in say an 18 MPH section where they cannot keep up but you can make up the time if they hold you up. If they don't let you buy or contest you, then you can kindly talk to them at the next reset. If they block you again, particularly in a test section, then they are a road pizza candidate.

I feel for ya in the hare scrambles, FC. They are a popular form of riding, but not in the cards for me. The format I believe lends itself for more blocking and less cooperation. The mass start with you and your classmates by definition means that the guy behind you could be in your class. That mentality brings in the blocking tactics as part of the competition, and also the get-out-of-my-way-you-spode-I'm-faster BS.

Lappers are a part of all circuit-type of races. Take road racing for example. The stakes are much higher here due to the speeds and concrete. Two years ago at Daytona Nicky Hayden or Kurtis Roberts actually spouted off on national TV about safety and lappers. Unfortunately there is no amateur license requirements like there is for pro road racing. Just pay your money and line up at the start.

We are all amateurs here. I let safety and fun guide my actions, in that order.

Top Bottom