wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Id like some opinions on YZ timing for my WR. I have thought about this, but am hesitating because most of my riding is done in the woods. I love the quick revving that I will get for the track, but am not sure it will be as useful in the woods. Thanks for any opinions.

W-O

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Wayne, I'd suggest doing the gray-wire cut first if you haven't already. I noticed more difference doing this on my bike than on another WR I rode that had YZ timing and no clipped gray wire.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Wayne, my WR (a euro spec model), when I YZ timed it, developed much more torque in the low-mid to upper-mid range. Low end was a little softer and top end was about the same but the mid range was much better than with the WR timing.

I much prefer YZ timing in the tight woods, as I can run a gear higher in many woods terrain situations with the YZ timing. My guess is that you will greatly appreciate the YZ timing mod (once the grey wire mod is done as MWEISSEN points out) in most of your woods riding.

BTW I had to richen the main up a couple of steps (170 to 175) for the YZ timing.

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
I have to agree with Humai. I have the 250WR & not the 426 but the concept should be the same. I went to Colorado the first time with the grey wire mod but WR timing and the bike worked fine. The next time I went I changed to YZ timing and it was actually much easier to ride. Throttle response was much better, easier to get over logs & such. I didn't have to change my jetting but with the 426 I guess you might have to. Change it and have a blast. If you for some reason don't like it you can always change it back.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Thats funny Scott. :) "Better you than me" is one of my favorite sayings!

I have done the grey wire, 23mm throttle stop, trashed the airbox lid, and put in a UNI filter. I have ordered a YZ needle EBLN, and am re-jetting the bike next week. I went with a #168Main, 100PilotAir, 48Pilot, per James Dean. This bike should RIP thru the woods when done. Of course I will need to max out that power by going to YZ timing, as well. Wheel spin is great, but Id rather hook up with the earth, not just throw it. :cool:
I would love to ride a YZ timed bike, but the change seems simple enough to do, even for a guy like me. The other alternative for punchy power in the bark is going to the 52 rear. I have heard great things about this on the ThumperTalk boards. Guys swear by this. Any comments?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Wayne,
Do you have the 168M/100A/48P jetting now, or are you going to wait until you get the YZ needle? If it's in now, I'd appreciate a note on what happens when you put in the YZ needle.

Sounds like someone had better results on YZ timing than I did. I didn't change my bike, but rode a partner's bike that did, and I thought mine was stronger. I don't know how the YZ'd bike was jetted, and we know that these bikes don't like to be too lean!

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Mark-
I plan on doing the jetting with the new needle at the same time. I trust JD, and the results he has gotten for so many people. I also think the difference will be a substantial one. :D
Even after YZ timing, the jetting should be spot on. Jetting is soooo crucial in these beasts!

Top Bottom