Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Conclusion-
I did as complete analysis as I could with the three plungers I had (original, new Honda and MDK). All three are very different from each other. I also included the two weights in question (original and new Honda).

I could bore you with all the weights and measurements of each down to the milli-gram and micro-inch but I won't bore you any more than I already have (not sure anyone is listening anyway). If anyone wants data including pictures I can help.

I interviewed the Honda tech support rep and the MDK rep and decided to use the new weight and the MDK pin as I originally intended. It's scary how little knowledge is known with these matters. The MDK mechanical engineer quit without documenting the design to the folks that answer technical questions and the Honda tech folks know nothing really technical. He did ask me how I got the parts and his phone number though.

The installation was simple. I did not like tightening the cam cap bolts to just 10 lbs but I did (after using engine oil on the threads as required). The bike fired up on the fourth kick after four priming strokes with the kill button pressed. Those of you who care, the tank was emptied for over a week (after sitting idle for months) and I did not have to pressurize the fuel line with the $100 'tool'. I did, however, use the Honda cam chain tensioner tool for the cam chain. That was sweet but perhaps the trick is a manual tensioner in the end. I havn't seen one that I would buy yet.

Anyway, bike runs great. I set the idle to my calibrated 1800 RPM ear. Hopefully there won't be a problem since the repair probably won't be guaranteed by anyone. The price you pay for doing it yourself I guess.

Hope this has been helpful to you.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Pretty technical for me. I just brought my bike in today and said "fix that s**t...for free!!!" and they were like "okay." Problem solved. :) Maybe I'll start ripping the top end apart when I finish paying it off. :think: Good info though. For now though, I think I'll let Honda fix their own mistakes.

Brian.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Well, took the bike in two weeks ago and got the sucker fixed finally. Dropped it off Monday evening, got it back wednesday morning. Haven't had a chance to ride, but hopefully no more decomp pin failures. :nener:

B

biglou

I've noticed mine starts a bit better since the fix. A couple easy kicks to charge the capacitor, and I can make it light off at will now. Before it was a 2-3 kick affair.

And I will say it again: "It needs to STOP RAINING!!!" :pissed:

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Lou, I think you just need to accept the fact and just ride in the rain. When I lived in Tacoma, WA area, if I let the rain stop me from riding, I'd only ride maybe once a month, if that. ;)

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
magneto said:
Are you seriously stating that a new CRF450 is going to cost the same to maintain properly as a CR500 (or 250 for that matter) when the work is done by the owner? I would think that the maintenance intervals would be approximately equal with the 4 stroke needing many many more parts over the long term.

x2 ive had many two and four stroke bikes and the two strokes are much cheaper to maintain......the four stroke parts even pistons are so much more expensive and those ti valves should be thrown in the trash.....

Top Bottom