whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Man did this thread turn. Nice fishing Joe. Your reliable xr can be compared more to the kdx, Mr. they will go a longtime without issue! Apples to oranges. Rider fatigue, are you kidding me? You can set up any machine to suit your needs. Scared of the "power" of a 250 smoker, so get a 125? The hit is scarier on a 125, and it is a lot different to ride. Just like the thumpers. 250 vs 250f, with even riders, I will take the 250 to win any day. That 250 will always feel better in the air, puts out way more power, and you can move the power band around with the right mods to suit any needs. Number of moving parts, and price? A gummed up power valve causes 1500 dollars of damage, no way, maybe if it falls apart, or gets hooked by the piston. Thumpers have rewrote the book on catastrophic engine damage. The racers around, still need a few new bikes a year. 250 against a 450f, and you want to win, you get the thumper. The people who never hit sanctioned events and buy these things, its neet, new, a lazy riders dream, and its whats on tv? Some of the local sanctioning has finally lifted the gateway rule for the handicap, and 250's race with 250f's. Why are there not more 250's out racing? Who is going to sponsor a guy on a 2 stroke? Keylon has been racing a 250 on the west coast series, never seen him make a main. BUT, that was against 450's!!!!

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
^^^^ Thanks I dont think I could have said it better myself. They must put some happy sauce in the water they are drinking :coocoo: I enjoyed the debate guys and feel free to get the last word. :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Thumpers have rewrote the book on catastrophic engine damage.
Nah, that was the ignorant guys owning them.

I now digress, this has been hashed out too many times before. G'day boys.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Y'all should "bike fight" like they did in that movie Torque. HAHAHAHA! You know, like, wheelie smack each other and do burnouts in circles around each other to the beat of a Static-X song. 2-stroke on 4-stroke, wheeeeeweeeeee!

.....I'm retarded.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
_JOE_ said:
Ok, so if they're hard to start what's the advantage of EFI?

The Kawi and Zook 450's have a reputation for easier starting - I'd swear, when Reed stalled his Suzuki in a corner, it looked he just give it one half hearted kick in gear and the darn thing lit up. His bike is a finely tuned factory bike though.

But that was the first thing that came to my mind when EFI started showing up ... easier starting...but that's not always the case. Easier stalling maybe.

Maybe when the manufacturers get these things better tuned over the next couple of years, we'll be laughing at those old carbed bikes the same way we laugh at the old tickler Bings and Jikov's.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
TRexRacing said:
Does anyone know if the Honda system is speed density or Alpha n?

Based on the sensor package it looks like a Speed Density system, but I haven't seen the tuner kit yet so I'm unclear on the level of adjustability.

B

biglou

I propose an experiment: Tomorrow, I'll stall mine and see how easy it is to relight. I'll try it in neutral and in gear. I'll do it when it's very hot, right after a long pull or something. All in the name of science. :)

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
Based on the sensor package it looks like a Speed Density system, but I haven't seen the tuner kit yet so I'm unclear on the level of adjustability.

That oughta make it a bit easier to tune w/o a dyno.Ya never know Honda may have a killer interface that makes tuning as easy as changing jets.It could happen.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The EFI tuning kit they are showing on the HRC site looks pretty complete, and very trick. Pricing seems reasonable as well. It should be fun.

Last edited:

B

biglou

biglou said:
I propose an experiment: Tomorrow, I'll stall mine and see how easy it is to relight. I'll try it in neutral and in gear. I'll do it when it's very hot, right after a long pull or something. All in the name of science. :)
did not make it out today. still too wet for me. the bikes still new enough that i don't want to trash it yet.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
biglou said:
did not make it out today. still too wet for me. the bikes still new enough that i don't want to trash it yet.

LOL....Sounds like me. Conditions where good here, I got to ride my new bike this Sat & Sunday, hehe. :nener:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It was muddy as all heck here. Still snow in alot of areas. You can actually ride on top of a foot of snow because it's been warmed and refrozen so many times it's like a rock. My bike likes the mud. :)

B

biglou

Good thing my shop likes me, cuz my alzheimer's is killin' me! Got a call today, my bike is recalled. They have parts. Should be ready next day. I think I'll take it over tomorrow after work (50 mile drive).

I may get flogged when they see 1.2 hours on the meter though! ;)

Also, coincidentally, got a thing in the mail from Honda about reimbursement of costs incurred due to failure of said decompressor. Gotta like that. :cool:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
biglou said:
Good thing my shop likes me, cuz my alzheimer's is killin' me! Got a call today, my bike is recalled. They have parts. Should be ready next day. I think I'll take it over tomorrow after work (50 mile drive).

I may get flogged when they see 1.2 hours on the meter though! ;)

Also, coincidentally, got a thing in the mail from Honda about reimbursement of costs incurred due to failure of said decompressor. Gotta like that. :cool:

Wonder if they'll pay for your gas money to and from the dealer???

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
I've been watching this issue for a while now. I picked up the decomp kit from the dealer (no charge) a couple weeks ago but I've decided to not use their plunger - just their weight. I have the MDK re-designed plunger on order and it should be in tomorrow.

The plan is to install the MDK plunger with the Honda weight this weekend. MDK (guy on the phone) told me yesterday that they had customers whose Honda replacement kit plunger had failed but no reports of theirs failing. Not sure if he is accurate.

The MDK plunger has relieved edges in its cut notch that doesn't invite cracking/shearing. Conversely, the new Honda plunger's notch is still cut with right angles at the edges so I'm not sure if the new kit has the old plunger in it or some newer one.

Anyway, if the MDK plunger fits with the new weight I figure that's the best setup for me. In case your wondering, the story is that the weight was modified (increased mass?)so that the plunger retracts at a lower RPM thereby limiting the occurance of impacting the exhaust rocker while the engine is running at a low RPM. I'm sure it will still hit at times (which is pretty poor if you ask me) but I figure that's where the strength and design of the MDK plunger comes in. Four stroke fun I guess.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Well , in case anyone was wondering (or cares) how it went here is an update. I spend all day Saturday cleaning the corner of the basement to get the bike down there for disassembly (still too brisk to have fun working on the bike). Can't believe the junk and dirt down there. Anyway, I did get the bike set up in a decent work area with lots of room and light.

I removed all the shroud plastic and flipped and drained the gas tank. Removed the valve cover and saw that the stock plunger was intact in the cam. I then discovered that the cap that has to be removed to align the crank for TDC requires a 10mm allen that I did not have. Spent most of Sunday finding one.

I then measured the valve clearances. The exhausts were .001" tighter than ideal and therefore just within spec. The intakes were also .001" tighter than ideal and therefore just within spec. The intake valve clearance measurement is accomplished by touch only and requires quite a contortion to accomplish with any real accuracy.

By the time I got around to removing the cam cap bolts I decided to hold off. At least everything is ready and the initial measurements are taken. The MDK pin and the new Honda pin are night and day different. They are different lengths, levels of polish and tip dimensions. The MDK pin does indeed have chamfered edges in the cut notch.

Since I missed this weeks opener, I'm not going to sweat getting the bike set up. I'm late and that's just all there is to it. I did discover that this bike is heavy and large. It is beast-like and taunts me. I believe it intends to hurt me.

Top Bottom