stejh311

Apr 5, 2019
Very hard to kick start. Used to start right up, now takes a long time, lots of kicks.
Once started it idles fine with the choke on, but revs HIGH when choke is off.. I've played around with the idle screw, but didn't make much difference. Thought maybe a possible air leak? But couldn't find one.
Thoughts? Advice?
Think I'm gonna clean the carb and jets, and replace the spark plug. And give it another go...

Any advice welcomed!
Thanks!

nathanlayland

Mar 31, 2021
Im having the same issue except my bike starts no problem. So far youre the only person with this problem ive seen. Have you happened to figure out the problem yet?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Im having the same issue except my bike starts no problem. So far youre the only person with this problem ive seen. Have you happened to figure out the problem yet?
2 stroke or 4 stroke? If it idles fine with the choke on and revs high with it off, you have a very lean condition and if this is a new problem and you have an air leak someplace. The only way to test for a leak is to do a leak down test. It can be a leak that you can't see, like a leaky main crank seal on a 2 stroke.

nathanlayland

Mar 31, 2021
2 stroke or 4 stroke? If it idles fine with the choke on and revs high with it off, you have a very lean condition and if this is a new problem and you have an air leak someplace. The only way to test for a leak is to do a leak down test. It can be a leak that you can't see, like a leaky main crank seal on a 2 stroke.

Yea its a 1999 yz250. I think it may be the pilot jet so i will try that first but if not i will do a leakdown test and replace seals if needed

lakinco

May 11, 2023
When initiating the kickstarting process of your bike, ensure it's in a neutral position initially. In the case of a cold start, proceed by pulling the choke knob upwards; alternatively, for a hot start, employ the hot start lever.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Adjust the air screw first. If that doesn't help make sure your reed block rubber isn't cracked which would let air in.

Top Bottom