Ciderax

May 11, 2009
Hello, I've been using trail bikes all my life, my last one was an enduro DRZ400. finally got a 2008 RMZ450, and it takes more than 15 kicks to start, while some of those kicks make a loud backfire that sounds like a gunshot.

to me, this doesnt seem right. what am I doing wrong? btw it seems harder to start with the choke out.

Ciderax

May 11, 2009
ok, I definitely think somethings up with it, this week I took it out road it around for about 40 minutes took a minute break and it took like 20 kicks to start, even when using the hot start. what am I doing wrong? or it just because it's brand new?

kensworth193

Jun 12, 2009
Same Problem - Starting RM-Z450

Hi there,

I have also recently bought an RM-Z450 and having exactly the same problem as you... have you managed to solve the problem yet?

Regards :ride:

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Have you installed a pipe or is it stock?Big four stroke MX bikes do take some practice to start well.If you open the throttle at all it becomes difficult if not impossible to start especially hot.I hold the front brake master cylinder to keep from opening the throttle accidentally.

kensworth193

Jun 12, 2009
Thanks for the reply TexRexRacing.

For your info : Stock pipe and do not open throttle when starting. Choke has no effect, 15-20 kicks with 3 or 4 backfires.

Any ideas what to try next?

Cheers

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
kensworth193 said:
Thanks for the reply TexRexRacing.

For your info : Stock pipe and do not open throttle when starting. Choke has no effect, 15-20 kicks with 3 or 4 backfires.

Any ideas what to try next?

Cheers

like mentioned above, check the valve clearance. seen some tight from new.

Ciderax

May 11, 2009
thank you for all the replies, I guess the issue was the fact that it was so new, I can start it in 1-2 kicks. :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I have found that each of the four strokes I've owned all had their own procedure that needed to be followed to get them to start in 1 or two kicks. Some like a squirt or two of gas when cold, some like the throttle to be held slightly open, but most don't like any throttle at all.

dirtbike1

Jul 16, 2009
rmz450 hard to start

hello there..

i have an 08 rmz450 and also find it hard to start when it is cold...what is your procedure for starting the bike in 1 or 2 kicks.... do you give it a couple of shots of gas before you kick it over...??

tks
brad

Oct 20, 2021
Hello, I'm about 15 years old and got a 2006 rmz 450 about 3 or 4 months ago, all I have had are problems with it starting at any point, and it seems like no matter what I do with the throttle, choke, and hot start I cannot get it stared. I can only get the bike to start when it leaned up against a wall or I have something to put my left leg on. I know that I can kick the bike hard enough ( I weigh 124lbs) and its no that I'm to short cause I can have both of my feet on the ground. Someone please help me, I love riding the bike but I hate having to kick the bike over 50 times to get it to start.

iammargarette

Aug 2, 2018
Hello, I'm about 15 years old and got a 2006 rmz 450 about 3 or 4 months ago, all I have had are problems with it starting at any point, and it seems like no matter what I do with the throttle, choke, and hot start I cannot get it stared. I can only get the bike to start when it leaned up against a wall or I have something to put my left leg on. I know that I can kick the bike hard enough ( I weigh 124lbs) and its no that I'm to short cause I can have both of my feet on the ground. Someone please help me, I love riding the bike but I hate having to kick the bike over 50 times to get it to start.

I found a similar thread on Reddit, feel free to check it out:

Top Bottom