2nd Annual Clear Creek New Years Ride

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Jake!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!! Those pictures are great. I was dying laughing over your caption on the "Karna's Speech" pic. Thanks for taking the time to post all those pics.

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Thank you everyone for coming out and enduring the conditions! I guess there was a little more than 0.2 inches of rain, huh? Nonetheless, it was good mud practice. I guess I might have exagerated a little bit to make sure no one was able to chicken out...well, you had fun didn't you? :confused:

Thank you Natalie for the georgeous feast (I am still eating the leftovers you sent home with us) and thank you Jake and Kali for the great photos! I need to get a digitatl camera soon.

Thanks to Steve, Mike, and Jake for having the courage to come ride with a bunch of women!

Thank you John, Buddy, Mini and Mick for giving me a boost when Justin wasn't around. What can I say, mud can gobble you up when you least expect it.

Thank you Jake for coming to my rescue when I was going to ride down that cliff face...it seemed ok from the top...I guess your perspective was a little better ;) Oh, Justin says thanks too!

Thank you Belinda and Mick for the pumpkin pie and champagne!

Thank you Farmer John for helping lead us around on Tuesday! When can you do it again?

I had an absolute blast and can't wait to see everyone again!

Jake, we will be waiting for the invitation to try out some of those SoCal trails.

Karna
P.S. Thank you Kevin, John and Mick and ? for helping Justin with his bike. I would have been bummed if we would have had to pack up early if he couldn't have gotten it started!

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Jake,
Thanks for posting the pictures. :thumb: The bummer about having the camera is that you don't get your picture taken. :(

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Jake,

Those photos are great. I did not realize you took that many.
The photo we need of Jake, though, is of his little slide in the mud on In & Out trail. :debil:

As it turned out my 440's issues were not a wet ignition, but that little breather check valve thing on my fuel tank. Apparently my bike sucks gas faster than that valve can move air.

Justin, did you ever solve your bikes problem? If you need I have a bunch of known good PWK parts we could swap out until it works...

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Thank you for the great photos, Jake!
I feel like that I enjoyed CC ride TWICE!!

I like the close-up picture of Buddy's feet going up in the air! Hahaha!
But you also posted some good pictures of him, so I don't think he minds that picture.

Thanks again for all the work you have done.
I hope you will come up north to ride with us often from now on.

Mini

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
Wow, great pictures, thanks for taking and sharing them. :worship:
I am so bummed I missed the great company, riding and food! :(
I an so not bummed I missed camping in that, even though I know Jonala is exaggerating the conditions to make me feel better. :)

ktmchick

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2002
Trust me on this, Jonala was not exaggerating the conditions at all. We thought we were going to be blown away, or at least have something blown into us. But the company and riding definately made it all worth it. :)

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Frank,
I far as I can remember I have not exaggerated conditions, in any of my reports. The dust at the Sawmill, Cow Bell, the cold night at the TW were all true.

Descriptions of my pathetic riding well that's another matter. :p

Is your bike still out of commission? There is a Honda XR250 for sale that would fit you just perfect. (see GETMETOCA sig.)

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
It was my pleasure and the least I could do. I really enjoy taking pictures while riding and we had ample opportunity up at CC. I wish I could have gotten some pics of the really gnarly trails, but I was too busy trying to get out alive!:p

I hope none of the captions were offensive to anyone. (i.e. Kevin's Alfalfa hair and Buddy's legs akimbo) All in good fun.:)

Originally posted by Karna&Justin
Jake, we will be waiting for the invitation to try out some of those SoCal trails.
It's in the mail.:confused: Maybe after the Quicksilver or Piglet? I'd love to ride with you all again.

Jake

p.s. Hey Natalie, can you give me some info about the MX class up at Hollister? Thanks. ohiklee@yahoo.com

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
A question to Jake......

How could you keep your camera dry when you went swimming?

Mini

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by FireLily
A question to Jake...... How could you keep your camera dry when you went swimming?

I don't think his bag ever touched water.
He just kinda slid along the rut on his shoulder & side.

Jake, I was right behind you, I just watched you crash & figured you were okay since you fell in the soft stuff. I rode on because I noticed Buddy & Mick were hiding in the bushes with cameras ready.

vipros

Nov 3, 2002
I just viewed the pictures of your New Years Clear Creek ride. As an off-road rider with over 30 yrs. of experience I was disappointed. Anyone who has had to fight to keep land open to ohv use would not be happy seeing the photos of your group riding in conditions that do nothing but tear up the land. I'm not perfect but I've learned over the years when to and not to ride. I'm glad you had a great time but I hope in the future you would use a little better judgement and not give the Sierra Club more ammunition. Been there, done that.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Vipros,
The area we were riding in was Clear Creek. This area has been an OHV area for over 25 years. If ridng in the muddy conditions is an issue that the BLM feel is detrimental to the area, they could temporaily close it. The BLM and Forest Service close other areas when the conditions will cause excessive errosion. Georgetown for example.

We rode established trails all day. The muddiest sections were the Jeep roads. There was BLM crew out there the same day. They didn't say anything about us not riding. So if the conditions would of been an issue I'm sure they would of said something to us.

Thanks for your efforts to keep areas open.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In addition to OHV use, Clear Creek has an extensive history of mining and logging to the late 1800's, and many of the roads date back to that period.

Per the BLM, "With the exception of the Desert, there is probably no place in California quite like Clear Creek for vehicle recreation. The old roads provide an infrastructure for exploring Clear Creek."

The area is far from pristine, though a large portion is closed to OHV's as the San Benito Natural Area. Anyone caught riding in there should be chastized.

IMO, Clear Creek is the kind of area the enviro's want to confine us to. It is covered with old asbestos, mercury and chromium mines, and also surrounds a superfund site. Not exactly the Desolation Wilderness.

Last edited:

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Vipros,
In your 30 years of OHV experience, have you ever raced in an enduro or hare scramble where you were the 500th+ rider to make it through a completely chewed out, rutted uphill in the middle of April when the conditions were perfect before take off? Believe me, I don't think the Sierra Club will give our small group much credance riding in the mud at Clear Creek when they have plenty more leverage with scenarios like I outlined above.

Justin and I do our part, though. Every time we go for a ride, we always pick up other ohv'ers trash left behind on various trails. I do appreciate your concern but unfortunately you are barking up the wrong tree.

Karna

CERAChris

May 22, 2002
Not to turn this 'feel good' thread into an anti-environmentalist rant, but the plan they have for us is to round us up into areas like Clear Creek - then close it. Clear Creek has been under siege from the enviro's for over ten years, for everything from water quality concerns to allegedly endangered plant life species. Groups like the Salinas Ramblers have worked tirelessly to keep the area and individual trails open.

Do not underestimate the greenies, they will not stop until there are no places to ride OHVs. Join a local club and the BRC to keep them frustrated.

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
(Justin's turn...)
You do have a valid point, riding in any ohv area that is somewhat saturated
is not ideal for the land. However, riding in any ohv areas regardless of the
conditions is not ideal for the land. I do agree that riding at Clear Creek when the soil is relatively dry will do less damage and give the "greenies" less
amunition, but I feel that your statement "tear up the land" is a bit presumptuous. We chose to remain clear of the "wet" hillclimbs, away from
the closed areas and on the "drier" western ridge. My wife and I make a point
every ride to pick-up at least one piece of litter off of the trail per ride, and leave our campsite cleaner than when we arrived.

I too believe in "riding responsibly" and I want to preserve our privelages for our son when he gets old enough. OHV use can be done responsibly regardless of the conditions. Clear Creek has been closed in the past due
to excessive rain and we didnt go. Riding Clear Creek when it's dusty isn't
the best either due to the potential of Asbestos being introduced into the atmosphere.

Justin, A Responsible Recrational Rider

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
vipros...I'm impressed, over 30 years of off road riding experience with no mud riding. Some of my best rides have been mud rides but then again we have trail maintenance programs here in Nor-Cal. But I do understand your point and it is well taken. Even in mud one can tread lightly.

Top Bottom