slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
one thing I have learned

Is that everyone can benefit from watching their intake and practicing good habits, just like on the bike. My biggest problem with anything is DISCIPLINE. :think I made it through the BFL program with some good results. It taught me what I should look toward, but too often I miss the good ol' Tex-Mex food, the kind that is a no-no on everone's diet. Now I have made the decision to make another go at it, but this time I can use all the information and good habits I learned from the last round. The hardest thing is sticking to it.:(

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
slo'mo

Your absolutely right that it takes good habits and discipline, but don't completely restrict yourself of all that you love. Find that perfect balance of healthy eating habits, and "Tex-Mex goodies; the diet will be useless if you can't live with it for the rest of your life. Make your diet a life-style not a life sentence.

Good Luck

skmcbride

May 16, 2001
A friendly warning:
Make sure Body for Life does not = EAS customer for life.
Consider what are the motives for these authors sharing their wealth of information. Some in the name of science, but many in the name of the all mighty dollar. Don't want to attack Bill Phillips, I have his latest supplement review on my book shelf and I am sure he wrote it! It is a great reference for many good articles.
Good Luck, Keith

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by skmcbride
A friendly warning:
Make sure Body for Life does not = EAS customer for life.

Even if it did, would that be so bad? I would gladly provide Mr. Phillips with some more wealth if his supplements really helped me. I think that if you are the least bit wary, you will see through the product endorsement in his writing (since he practically declares it explicitely).

Yes, I agree with you, but I also think that EAS is one of the good guys in this field compared to most of the other snake oil merchants.

PS. I've never bought an EAS supplement.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Hi,

My problem was the opposite but this might help. I have Lupus and go through bouts once a year or so. i was down to 139 pounds and looked like a crack addict with a gut. No muscle at all. I decided it was time to try something new. A good freind of mine, a girl who happens to be the most in shape person I know gave me a little pamphlet on how and why our metabolism works and how to keep it going especially after 30. I eat 5 times a day!! No drugs nothing! This has changed my whole attitude towards my eating and exercise habits. I would gladly mail you a copy of this if you will send me your address and to anyone else who would like a copy. It costs nothing and will give you all of the necessary info to stay fit no matter what your age. After 30 we all need help. I feel and look better than ever I am now 168 lbs still weak but better than I have been in the last two years. I am 30 too. I just got back into riding and I am having fun. I promise you this will make all the difference. Knowledge is power.

Let me know,

Sincerely,

Riz

oabike

May 15, 2001
Fitness is more about lifestyle and habits then about a specific workout or diet. I say get out and try anything. You'll find something that works for you. You just have to get out and do something.
I was a Cat 1 bicycle racer for almost 20 years and just recently stopped racing in 1999. I had some of my best years from age 33-36(1997-1999). Most of it was due to lifestyle. Training was never a problem. I rode as much as 400-500 miles a week for months on end cause I just loved it. I still ride 2-4 hours a day 5-6 times a week.
Just start,have fun and before you know it you'll feel really good.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
While this thread is getting long, I'm new to this area so here's my .02 worth:

Now 40 years old, 160 pounds for the last 4 years, blood pressure and cholesterol normal and feel great.

About 5 years ago, weight near 190, normal pressure and cholesterol and suddenly saw blood pressure shoot up 20 points. Tried every diet, low salt, high grain, pyramid, etc diet and saw weight go up, as well as blood pressure and cholesterol. Throughout and before all diets, have been on my mountain bike for around 50-75 miles per week, riding hard. Not a couch potato at all, but definitely carrying too much weigh despite the exercise and "pyramid diet". Heart ultrasounds ekg's, ecg's, etc all showed everything perfectly normal.

So as a last ditch effort before taking pressure med's, my doctor suggested Atkins. He had seen rare cases of carb reactions/allergies and figured it was worth a shot. We were monitoring everything very closely, so why not.

Within a week, blood pressure down to normal, cholesterol down below 200, weight dropping so fast my kidneys hurt. Within a month, had lost over 20 pounds while eating like a pig. To deal with the kidneys, I started eating way more veggies, and all was fine. After losing 30 pounds, I started looking like I was from a warcamp, so introduced more carbs, but only natural (more veggies, fruits, potatoes, etc) and found that I could stay at 160 without any effort, and felt great. So I'm not really on Atkins hardcore at this point, but all processed sugar is out, as are most grains. Grains, especially whole wheat, give me such bad stomach aches, that I believe they were the culprit of my problems. Even when I sneak a slab of birthday cake I feel fine, but a slice of wheat bread and I want to get sick.

So, due to regular check ups and some effort, I've found what makes my body happy. I've fought weight gain all my life, ranging from 150-190. Not anymore. Had I not gone for my regular checkup and had a willing open minded doctor, I'd probably still have high blood pressure, cholesterol, weight and feel like crap. People are constantly telling me that Atkins will kill me, but as soon as I switch off it, pressure, cholesterol and weight go back up within a week. Everyone is different here, but if something doesn't seem to be working, chances are it just isn't right for your body type.

Typical meals now..breakfast: 2 eggwhite omelette, bacon, lunch: big spinach salad, tuna, chicken, roast beef, whatever meat I'm in the mood for. Dinner: more salad, veggies, some meat and cheese 'til I can eat no more.

Mark

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
Interesting post about your personal experience, mark. I'm curious, have you had a fasting blood sugar test? Your experience with whole wheat and other grains is exceptional. Do you know if there is a medical/nutritional relationship with this? The reason I ask is that I have substituted whole wheat in place of processed white flour products and never noticed a difference except in improved blood sugar, cholesterol, BP and weight maintenance.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Boit,

I don't know if this is tested when they do my 3 month cholesterol test, which is after 12 hour fast. Going in next week for my next checkup, so will ask about it. What does the fasting blood sugar test reveal or look for?

I seem to be able to handle white flour much better than wheat products. But I still stay away from all flour as much as possible. On a side but related "note", when avoiding wheat, let's just say the air is much fresher around me. Something else that had bothered me as long as I can remember, but now the only gas I've got is in my gastank.
My 7 year old exhibits the exact same thing. When I cut him back on wheat and other carbs, his stomach flattens, gas goes away, and he looks and feels better. Hard to do with a kid, but he is getting used to it and doesn't like the gut he gets when eating wrong. He is very allergic to many things(peanuts and eggs the worst), and it appears that carbs fall in the same category for him.

Sorry to be so wordy about all this, but I find it fascinating what a difference the right diet can make. :cool:

Mark

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
Mark, that test would indicate a blood sugar metabolism problem...i.e, diabetes. In your case, I would be interested in ruling out type II diabetes. Actually, I doubt you have this problem but it would be in your interest to make sure. Type II diabetics need to regulate their carb intake to avoid blood sugar spikes and hence, the spikes in energy followed by the lethargy. From what you've posted, I don't think this is a factor, but it would be a good thing to rule it out. It appears to me that you have an allergy issue. Whole wheat grains should be fairly easy to digest. These grains should NOT cause you a problem at this extreme.. If I were you, I would pursue this inquiry.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Boit,

Thanks for the additional info. My grandfather was diabetic, and this is something the doctor has been watching. Before changing my diet, I had serious spikes in energy, and tons of naps. Sort of a family joke, but I really couldn't keep my eyes open at times. I no longer nap at all, so it follows what you're saying. Will definitely bring it up next week at the doc. As for the wheat, I have heard of many people with related digestion problems. I can't recall the name, but there is some allergy related to it that gives serious gastro problems.:scream:

And again, thanks for the concern and information. I'll post what I find out from next weeks blood tests and whatever comments the doc has related to this. Everytime I go in, he shakes his head in disbelief on how things turned around for me, so he is quite interested on exactly what is going on and why.

Mark

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Before I went on the Atkins diet, I had what I assumed was lactose intolerance. Since I started, I can eat all the dairy that I want and no more problems. Maybe it really was a "carb" intolerance? Also, no more tired spells midday, I don't even need to drink coffee anymore.
:)

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Maybe it's just that you're riding a KLX too. Me too on the lactose thing. Used to give serious heartburn, but not an issue now. I eat a ton of dairy now, and have zero problems with it. None of the low fat stuff either, just real cheese and other dairy products.

Mark

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Yes, it definitely must be the bike. That's about as good as the advice that the "nutrition experts" will give you. :D
People just won't understand this until they try it I think. Maybe it isn't for everyone but I am so glad that I found it, and gave it a try.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
LIkewise for me. People are convinced that I'm going to die soon doing this, but I'm quite sure that if I don't, all my vitals will head in the wrong direction quickly.

Everyone reacts differently, and many people I know have felt horrible on it, while many feel great with results similar to mine. Fortunately, my "nutrition expert" is my doctor (who by the way, is skinny and thrives on a high carb diet) that listened and looked at my situation. If only he'd prescribed the KLX sooner.......

Mark

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Hmm. Interesting.
I use to eat ceral in the morning, but it gave me such bad gas I couldn't stand it myself. So I stoped. I thought I was lactose intolerent, but come to find out that I can drink Milk with no problem. I eat cheese with no problem and now I'm wondering if it's the ceral?
I've had a problem with my weight for the last 4 years.
Any suggestions on how to find whats right for me?;)

Last edited:

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Bones,

I love this. Talking motorcycles and gas. And my wife wonders why I'm always hitting this site. She won't talk about either subject, and just doesn't know what she's missing.

Go buy the Atkins Diet Revolution book and read it. Took me one evening to blow thru the whole thing. It gives some good profiles of people that are more likely to respond to his diet, and also explains why it won't kill you if done properly. As my doctur realized, all the symptoms I had related to the issues that Atkins addresses. I know it doesn't apply to everyone, but does to many. Gas is definitely one of them. Breakfast was the worst for me, and you had to stay clear of my office. Never a problem after lunch, as I usually wasn't eating the carbo stuff as heavily (unless it was pasta, yikes).

While I'm definitely consuming way more carbs than Atkins suggests, we athletic types can get away with a lot more than sedentary folks. It's just a matter of finding those that agree with you. For me, it's any veggies, legumes, melons, berries, etc. Pure sugary fruits (oranges,pineapple,etc) aren't so good for my stomach, but hey, you gotta live too.

I don't mean to sound preachy about this, but that damned diet along with my doctors guidance changed my life. I had suffered weight problems, gas, etc all my life. Now at 40, I feel better than ever, and my wife frequently reminds me that I look better than ever as well. While it may not be the one for you, chances are, based on what you said, something is off. Get a physical and see what your doctor says, of course, and give a new diet a serious try.

Mark

p.s. If you give Atkins a shot, let me know and I can give more detail on some tasty food out there that can be hard to find.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Same here, if anyone wants to have my list of favorite places to find Atkins related foods just send me your email address. This really is worth a try.:)

Marklx

May 24, 2001
In reference to my previous posts going with low carbs, due to the stress of the last few weeks, I ate more carbs that usual. Not a lot, but didn't hesitate to have that piece of bread, pasta, etc. Went in for my checkup, and surprise.....cholesterol up, weight up, blood pressure o.k. (phew) Back to low carbs, and after 2 days, feeling better, pants looser, and don't need my nap.

Guess I'm staying low carbs for awhile. (other than in 'n out after a hard ride)

Mark

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Hey Mark,

I've been on the Atkin's diet for ten days now and lost ten pounds. The only thing is, I haven't been able to get above a small reading with the ketostix even with cutting out the salad but I guess as long as I'm losing weight it doesn't matter much. What things have you tried that are tasty? I've tried the advantage bars but I don't like them because I can taste the artificial sweetener aftertaste. The best thing I've tried are the carbolite chocolate bars. They are great with no aftertaste but they are expensive about $2.00 a bar. Also I hear if you order a protien burger at in-and-out they give it to you wraped in lettuce instead of a bun.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Hello Tree,

Good for you. Don't sweat the ketostix if the weight is dropping. I lost weight whether they were purple or pink. Trader Joes has some great low carb bars, I believe called pure protein and protein plus. Personally like the peanut butter and jelly bars. There is also a yogurt product called carbolite that gets me thru the late night munchies. 1 carb per oz., and tastes pretty good. Call all the yogurt/donuts shops to see if they have it. It really is a life saver at night. Also constantly eating macadamia nuts from Trader Joes. Tasty, cheap, filling, and very low carb.

I've tried the in 'n out protein style, and it just isn't the same. Figure after a few hours of bouncing around, one hamburger bun won't kill me.

If I think of more stuff, I'll let you know,

Mark

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
You do bring up some excellent points. My wife did the Atkin's diet a few years back, & is slimmer than when we met 20 years ago, like the low 120 lbs (she's 5'7"). Funny how when we're out & about there's always other gals who check her out (guys too :anger)

She is now on the maintenance thing where eggs, meat, dairy (yes: whole milk, cheese, butter) are fine in any amount, any time of the day, but avoids most fruit & veggies after 4/5pm; haven't seen her eat wheat/(whole-grain organic) rice at all in a long time. Funny thing is she can bake the most healthiest bread I've ever had with a small stone mill organic whole grains (no; we're not tofu & grass eaters - indoor BBQ dead cow every night!).

Being naturally slim, she said I don't need to go on the diet, tho I find it difficult to put aside carbos. It seems like it might be an addiction we don't know we have, the body craves filling foods like that. Every time I eat even whole-grain products, whether cooked or baked, some gas & mild bloating comes along later; it feels fine to be full & satisfied, but not quite right, especially away from home like camping, the evening before an enduro.

Staying away from pasta (even the whloe-grained organic stuff), potatoes (a simple carbo) and tomatoes does me good. The only times I have carbos are a sandwich & fruit @ lunch, and some veggies @ dinner (corn-on-the-cob is difficult to give up, having grown it & many other fruits/veggies on a farm years ago).

On another note, finer dairy products come from a small producer in NoCal (say Farmer John: here's one for ya) called Claravale Farm. We buy a 12-quart case of milk/week, & on occasion treat ourselves to their cream - whipped, of course - on berries & pie. Mark: Follow Your Heart has it; Tree, your way it can be found @ Whole Foods Market in La Jolla; pricy but delicious & wholesome.

We get our beef from Wild Oats Markets & other organic fruit/veggies from various markets.

Once we lost our source of relatively inexpensive milk (Steuve's), she gave up cheese making, as it became too expensive with Claravale, so we now eat the Sonnet Farms' low-sodium line. And for butter we have to use (gasp!) pasturized Organic Valley; mostly for cooking & baking as it is already heated - but that's another thread.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
30+

I lost 40 lbs in the last 3-4 months by drinking a Slim-Fast for breakfast and reducing my Coca-Cola intake from 10 - 12 a day to 2 a day.
I still eat poorly for at least one meal a day (instead of 3). My abilities as far as riding is concerned have improved drastically. I can ride longer when I do ride, I don't get sore from riding, arm pump is drastically decreased.
I ride MX more now 2-3 times a week and my speed has improved greatly. My suspension isn't as overworked and overall I feel better in general.
Also, I drink alot of water every day where as before, I drank mostly soft drinks or tea.
At 37, I'm probably at my lowest weight since I was proabably 25 to 30.

Top Bottom