A phantastic, phun day at Phelan.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Hate to go off topic but ........... SHE RUNS ! She runs ! She's running !

Did I mention .... She's RUNNING ! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO !

I did it. :)

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Damn were in trouble now.:scream: Eel was flying on LT's XR.... I hate to see how fast he goes on a bike he is used to riding.

Now if you can just keep it together long enough for the next ride... Damn Eurotrash bikes... Always waitin for parts... Oh, is that the phone... Maybe my pumpkin parts finally came in ..... Gotta go ..... :)

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Gotta love the Euro factor. LongTime's Gas Gas is testament to that.

It sounds sorta corny but I feel like I bonded with my bike by breaking it all down and putting it all back together. Maybe "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" had something to it after all. At the time I read it in high school it just sounded like a guy rambling on too much ****. :confused: But now it seems to have more significance.

When I finally was able to figure out that the tiny, tiny, tiny little clip at the base of the float wasn't clipped onto the little fuel outlet I just about lost my mind. I dropped it in the dirt so many times that I finally took a breath, pulled the carb, and went inside where I could get some decent light (the space where I work on my bike looks like a place to bury bodies, not a place to wrench - ask CPT Jack - he's seen it). Finally got it clipped on after about 30 tries and "VOILA" ... the carb worked right again. Then had to kick the bike over nearly 75 times to get it going with the new top end and all - plus about a gallon of water shot out the exhaust when it first fired up - don't know how that got in there ! ( It's not for nothing that I'm a member of TEAM KNUCKLEHEAD - now you guys know exactly what it means )

When the bike finally ran I shut it off after revving it a little. It felt terrific. :)

Last edited:

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Lord Bundy- this is Han Soslow reporting in.

I like the light weight of the 250F and the 4 strk. powerband but I need a bigger bike for racing.

Sounds to me like a perfect description of my CRF450! Sorry I couldn't have been there to let you ride it, it would have blasted those silly 2-smoke ideas out of your head! :)

Wow, guess I missed another great ride. We were at the Perris Invitational though and Matt (my 7 yr old) took a 3rd in one class, and a 1st in the other! Good day for us! Maybe next time I'll be able to add another mighty 4 stroke to the mix.

PS - don't forget, there's always a weekday ride going on at Elsinore, Comp or Perris when you get bored of those scenic trail rides! :p

Last edited:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Tee-thanks for signing in----one less question mark. I'll bet your 200 felt great in the tight stuff! Next time you'll have to have a go at the sand hill; I know the little Pumpkin can do it!
Bundy---go for the YZ250 and bring it out to Phelan---maybe you'll be slower on a more powerful bike in the tight! (Wishful thinking mode on.)
MXDad--I'll bet that CRF would've felt right at home out here!
Hey Eel---break-in ride after Christmas? We can go ribbon some trail!
;)
LT--we need a public showing of the video. I did get a couple photos of the group, and will bring them to the next ride after they are developed. (Unless someone can give me a quick lesson on how to post pictures. I have a scanner.)
It was a great ride, and I spent today at work day-dreaming about it.
I'm all for some drag racing up the hill next time. Bring those thumpers on, I'm game!
'boy.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
P.S. for Elk----quote--"the cops out here are cool, even the CHPs'.....oops, sorry elk, didn't know you were here!!!.......":p

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
If we convert Bundy that will be the absolute coup of coups.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Wait a minute there Eel, i`m not jumpin off the 4 strk. ship yet.I`m just stikin my toe in to see how cold the water is.:confused:
No mater what I get, i`m still gonna keep the 250F and the WR.
Thanks MxDad, i`ll take you up on that ride one day. I come with good referances, just ask Longtime.
Now does anyone have a KTM 400, would like to ride one of them. :p
A guy on the next block has an 02 YZ-250, said I could take it out, i`ll let you guys know how it performs.

Hey, Desert_Racer, Feb. 10, 2001. Hollister CA. 1st round AMA National Hare Scrambles Series. What do you think? Got game?
Or if I get a bigger bike by then,Jan 27, 2001. Lucerne Valley, 1st. round National Hare and Hound series. Good time of year, no dust. I have friends in the Vikings that can pit for us.

later
2 chump bundy

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
Originally posted by KTMster

Hey Rogue, in a week it will be Christmas weekend & since neither of us have young-uns & if the weather permits.....we could meet at this same place or at Honda Valley or in Victorville??? E-mail me if you are interested.

Also, don't forget that there is a girl's ride Sat Feb 16 & Sun Feb 17 in Reno. I'll be there, hope you are too!:)
My husband will take very little time off for Christmas. On a day he is at work I would love a ride. I do not know of "Honda Valley". Where were you thinking of riding? Do you know the "Rockpile" in Johnson Valley? It is a very fun ride. And I am very interested in Phalen.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Hey Dad -- you want to lurk 'round here, you ought to accept the fact that sooner or later you're gonna do a trail ride with us feller's. :scream:

Rogue -- does this mean you aren't asking for tips on peeling off DRN stickers no more? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by Eel
If we convert Bundy that will be the absolute coup of coups.

Don't you guys know that Bundy plays both sides of the fence. He just hasn't fully come out of the closet yet....:scream: That must be one big A$$ closet..

KTMboy - If you email the pics to me I will put a special DRN section on my web site so that folks can view them.

LongTime - I would like a copy of the video. Let me know what we need to do to make it happen...

Bundy - That race is the weekend before Reno.... I don't think the wife is going to give me a kitchen pass two weekends in a row especially since we will be on the Reno trip for 4 days..... Maybe next time

MXDad - Hows that 450 on gas? I was checking one out at a shop the other day and the tank looked mighty small ... good for the track but not for any distance? Felt really light sitting on it though...

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks ktmboy, you're always so sensative!! :think
I think Dad is on his way to joining us for a ride, even if he rides a 4 stroke.
Dad, I might be venturing out to Elsinore this week, let me know what day you are going.
Bundy, it is in the stars, you will soon be riding the spooge machine! It has it's advantages, easy starting, better choice of colors!:eek: I think we need to ride again soon, the weather has been great and it's gonna rain Thursday.

Later Lord Bundy, (father):o
Elk

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Desert_Racer - I haven't tested it yet, but I'm hearing guys say they're doing 45 miles with a little gas left. If true, not bad for an MX bike!

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Tee, it's about time you joined the DRN clan. :p Welcome aboard!

Rogue, I thought you were looking for someone to ride with this coming weekend, my mistake. :eek: Enjoy the holidays!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Tee, welcome to DRN. Thanks for the pics.

MXDad. Ok, buddy, it's time to step up and pay the piper. Let's see, we have been out to the track about, aaaaaahhhh, umpteen times.:eek: And you have come trail riding with us, like,,,,NEVER!!!:scream:

Next time, you'r gonna have to come.;) That 450 of yours would have been the fastest thing up the sand hill. Congrats to Matt on his Perris ride.

Ol'89r

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Ok 89r, I do owe you a trail ride, but "umpteen" times at the track??? Maybe twice??!! Now LT, he was on a roll there for a while, but I guess he's forgotten how to get to Elsinore! :confused: OBTW, we will be at the track Wed and Fri this week - come on out. You still haven't ridden the new red beast.

The only way my 450 would have been fastest up the hill is if you or Bundy were the pilot! Does sound like fun though.

Thanks for the good wishes for Matt. We're hoping he gets in for one of the So. Ca. KTM JR SX events this year. See you at the track! :debil:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
RE: Honda Valley ---They closed it down because a kid on a 3 wheeler was riding there helmetless (no comment) and was killed, and the parents sued everybody. I got this from a reliable source: a friend who happens to be one of the officers who patrols there. They have modified KLRs.
Too bad, because that was a great place. Parts of Phelan are very similar though, and there's a lot more trail there!
Just thought you'd like to know.:mad:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Now KTMBoy... Be nice to our Non-Helmet wearin white trash friends that get killed on 3-wheelers... Everytime one dies the gene pool get a little cleaner :eek:

Last edited:

bulldog496

Sep 26, 2001
I would be very interested in a copy of the video as well! Please pass along the info needed to get a copy. :)

And to all of you thinking about riding in Phelan. Don't listen to these guys. It's a terrible place to ride! The pits! No trails. Too many Rangers. Too flat. Too many hills. Too Hot. Too Cold. Stay away! Try Stoddard Valley or El Mirage. You don't want to come to Phelan! ;) ;)

I had a really good thing all to myself. Some guys just can't keep a secret.:mad:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Bulldog--funny thing is that not too many locals go there. When people in town here ask me where I ride, they have no clue what I'm talking about. That's okay though, 'cause like you said, it's always cold and dusty there, or when it rains there's too much mud; people always get hurt there.......:silly:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Direct hit Wayno! I felt that one. Sorry, but this group of guys are good enough to take there, don't you think! Maybe next time we can show them the spot where we saw the 6 foot crow! :)

Elsinore on Friday, come on LT and 89er! We need to rub some bars there, no shrubs though, only clean smooth jumps! :cool:
Elk

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Phelan

Man this absolutely sucks. It sounds like you guys had a great ride and I missed the damn thing. 23s not a group thats an army. Come to think of it, I cant say Ive ever seen a group that big out there. While I did miss Saturday (work) I did manage to see all the ruts you guys left on Sunday. Not to mention the downed trees, bushes, power lines and helmet marks in the soil.
KTM: What you said about Honda Valley was pretty much on the money. I heard the same thing. One thing to see a stupid adult get wacked but its sad when its a kid. Even if his ignorant parent are too stupid to make him wear a helmet.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
RE: Honda Valley ---They closed it down because a kid on a 3 wheeler was riding there helmetless (no comment) and was killed, and the parents sued everybody. I got this from a reliable source: a friend who happens to be one of the officers who patrols there. They have modified KLRs.
Too bad, because that was a great place. Parts of Phelan are very similar though, and there's a lot more trail there!
Just thought you'd like to know.:mad:

Ditto, I learned to ride here. that what happened per the police. I understand you can ride there you just can't park your truck. ie they give you parking tickets. We met up with someone about 6 months or so ago and they had a house out there and we parked on his proprerty and rode out. The cops we ran into were fine with that. I did hear they were thinking of reopening it as a pay per use area.

Top Bottom