Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Banshee_Killer said:
i meant in the neighborhood of oil changing etc. its the same as a quad right.
every 20 hours or so?

Every 20 hours is closer the recommended piston/ring replacement interval. You might want to think about changing the oil a little more often.;)

A good place to start is the Service Interval chart in the factory service manual. Below is an example from the 2005 YZ250 manual.

Attachments

• yz250.jpg
    yz250.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 99
  • yz250_2.jpg
    yz250_2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 99
Jan 6, 2009
it says inspect piston after every race....
they want me to take the damb thing apart everytime i ride??????

LOL im acustomed 2 my easy, change my oil once a year and give it HELL 4stroke. LOL now they want me 2 be a mad scientist and take the motor apart every ride????

so for the amount of time i ride i will basically go through a piston a year???

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
It all really depends on how often you ride and how hard you ride.

The manufacturers will give you some conservative recommendations. Won't go wrong if you follow them. You could most likely get by if you double the time frames. But that leaves room for breakage.

I have a KX500 that was rebuilt in 2003. I just checked the ring end gaps and they are spot on. The bike isn't ridden every day nor every weekend. I don't rev the pee out of it and keep the air filter clean. I'll probably get another 5 years out of the rings at the rate I ride.

Get a good compression gauge. Check the compression after every race/ride and keep a log. You'll know when the top end needs done.

Jan 6, 2009
im keeping my YFZ so ill be back and forth between the 2 bikes.
i just dont want 2 get myself into a bike that im going 2 be spending 4 hours after im done riding(2 keep maintained) and alot of money in maitinance with oils and piston rebuilds.

i guess thats what im asking.
how much time and money will i spend maintaining the bike(i do ride semi-aggressive)?
but guys i am a rookie 2 dirtbikes!!!

u take the motor appart after every ride 2 check piston rings??????

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
What does "inspect crack" mean in the " remarks " section to the right of piston maintenance at top of second page? Is it supposed to be "crank"?

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
No need to check piston every 2 ride.
éJust do like gwcrim said.
A compmpression gauge will be all good.

Yam manual call for crankshaft inspection, these instruation are also in the manual.

I buy a yz125 past year, topend with cylinder been changed at the begin of summer. I didnt open it yet nor rebuild it, i plan on using it that way for this summer on trails, i will just get a compression gauge that what my friend mechanic who also ride 12 stroke on wood/trails told me.

Jan 6, 2009
so every ride check compression every 2-3 rides take the thing apart and look @ it??? :bang:

Last edited:

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
I've never rebuilt any of mine and I rode every weekend. noticed my cr 250 lost a little power after 2 years but nothing major. it's sat for 4 years now and will be rebuilt soon...before I start back riding this spring

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Banshee_Killer said:
i guess thats what im asking.
how much time and money will i spend maintaining the bike(i do ride semi-aggressive)?
but guys i am a rookie 2 dirtbikes!!!

It's clear from what you've said so far that you don't maintain your quad properly and now you are hoping that someone hear will bless the same behavior on a bike. Don't hold your breath.

You got appropriate answers to your questions. Just because it's not what you wanted to hear doesn't make them any less valid.

Jan 6, 2009
rich rohrich.
dude i maintain my quad and it runs like a bat out of hell(ive had the bike for 2 years and ive NEVER had a problem). but quad maintinance is OBVIOUSLY a completly different ball game 4rm what u guys are telling me.

srry if i sound deffensive but i do take care of my bikes.

all im trying 2 do is make sure i understand u guys correctly.
so compression tests after every ride and dissasembling the motor every few rides is the way 2 go?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Banshee_Killer said:
rich rohrich.
dude i maintain my quad and it runs like a bat out of hell(ive had the bike for 2 years and ive NEVER had a problem).

A couple of posts back you said the following :

Banshee_Killer said:
i meant in the neighborhood of oil changing etc. its the same as a quad right.
every 20 hours or so?

Banshee_Killer said:
LOL im acustomed 2 my easy, change my oil once a year and give it HELL 4stroke.

Yeah sure you maintain it. ;)

Buy a used bike, maintain in the same stellar fashion that you've exhibited so far and let us know how it goes.

I'm done wasting time trying to help you. Good luck :cool:

Jan 6, 2009
I'm done wasting time trying to help you. Good luck :cool:

dude whats with the hostility???
look man i came 2 u guys because i know that dirtriders is one of(if not the best) dirtbike sites on the net.

im trying 2 understand what it takes 2 maintain these bikes properly.
i guess im spoiled with my quads that require less maintinance.
(by the dude way i was exagerating in those post)
srry if i offended u. that was never my intent.

all ive been trying 2 do is ask for some guidance. uve been a great help so far.

ive herd everything from changing a piston every year -not changing it for 3-4 years. im asking whats realistic?
should i have 2 take the piston appart every 2-3 rides?

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
I could offer you my experience with my '01 cr250.

I likely get out for 10-12 trail rides a season and I do a complete top end on it after each season. The bottom end is still tight so I haven't touched it yet. I also run a good synthetic 2 stroke as well as tranny oil.

I change the oil/clean air filter roughly every other ride depending on conditions.

I've got two seasons on the Boyesen reeds that are in it now so I'll be replacing them over the winter.

So far this bike has been extremely reliable for me as I've never had an issue with it. Then again, it is a Honda :nener:

Jan 6, 2009
LMFAOOOOOOOOOO got me there dude!!!!
im actually looking into a 1999 honda 250 amoung other bikes
i meant that in reference 2 quads though bro no offence 2 dirtbikes.

Top Bottom