Are Hi-Point boots any good for woods riding?

savage

May 30, 2003
I'm riding the rocky mountains, so the ground is ultra-technical sharp rocks. All the boot discussions seem to focus on Sidi Force, Alpinstars Tech 6&8, and Fox Pro Forma. Are these just the best for MX & SX? A rep at Bob's told me the Hi-Points were the best trail riding boots, so I ordered a pair that will ship tomorrow. After a bit of research, it seems like there the only boots made like this, so I'm a bit concerned. Are the Hi-Points just retro-styled poser boots, or are they the ones I really want?

I understand for trail riding, I need something a bit more flexible to anchor on uneven footing, but I want enough support so that I don't break an ankle (already broke my left one snowboarding), and I'm a bit concerned abount a rock shot to the boot without the plastic guards won't offer the protection I need.

Any input?

savage

May 30, 2003
More info.

I'm new to the sport and am 39 years old on a 2000 xr400. I'm not looking to do anything too crazy, but want something that will support and protect even when I get better. I am a steeps and speed freak on a snowboard, so I know I will get ok for an old guy with a bit of practice. I'd be happy if I could jump 20 feet. I've been riding the bike 4-5 times a week as I work nights, so I'm expecting to advance quick and put a lot of wear on some boots. I'm basically a ski bum looking for a summer passion.

So do I need the high tech to protect my old parts, or is the old school for the old guy going to do the trick?

TooBadBrad

Jan 31, 2003
High Point boots set the standard for many years untill the distributing company had problems. IMO they are very good, maybe not up to tech 8's or sidi force in ankle protection, but very good for anything but extreme type riding. They are more water proof than the others too.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I don't know about the Hi Points but I surely can't see spending $200-$300 for a pair of boots that have such useless soles on em. Most of the high dollar boots I've seen lately have soles no better than a pair of flip-flops. I want some traction on my boots, and a lot less plastic. Wish I could go back to 1980 and buy a couple more pairs of boots like I have now! ;)

savage

May 30, 2003
thanks for the input toobadbrad and wibby. There's hardly any plastic on the Hi-Points except for the shifter pad on left foot, while all of the other boots out there seem to be encapselated in plastic which makes me question why the Hi Points are the only holdout. They're clearing them out at Bob's for $180 and they shipped the wrong ones so they're going to send me a pair for $150, but I also see that they have O'neal Hardware for $150 as well. While $300 for the top-of-the-line Alpinestars or Sidis would easily do the trick, I can see that I'm pouring money into this sport and if I can save half on something that will be good enough for my purpose, I can throw that money at something else. I noticed in the DRN tested Sidi Force that Rich said he went back to his duct-taped Hi points.

The distributorship problems may explain another question I had. All of the Hi-Point descriptions mention Alpinestar quality throughout, yet they are offered by MSR. I'm guessing the reason everyone got away from the lugged soles was that the ground could pull you off your bike when you needed to plant a foot, but that doesn't mean much when you're pushing your bike uphill...

So what does anyone else think, the Hi-points or O'neal Hardwares? Rich, So I need a roll a duct tape as well?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
savage, I have a pair of the Hardwares and I trail ride almost exclusively. They are pretty comfy, too. It's not like walking around the lodge in a pair of plastic Lange's, but it's not like walking around in Uggs, either. Before the Hardwears, I tried a pair of AXO RC-5's. I sent them back right away because they were so dang stiff. It was unbelievable. There was no way they'd ever break in (or so it seemed).

I have only had one incident where I was glad I had them over a softer pair like Hi-Points- I was going down the trail at a pretty good pace, and my left foot clipped a log. Nearly ripped me off the bike. But my foot was fine. I'm not sure what would have happened in a more flexible boot.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by savage
All of the Hi-Point descriptions mention Alpinestar quality throughout, yet they are offered by MSR.

hi-points are made by alpinestars. i wore them for years without any problems or complaints.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I bought a set of the Hi Points in '96 or '97, I got almost three years of MX use out of them until they became too soft and unsupportive. They were very comfortable boots though, and were great, but being all leather with no plastic support, once they get worn out they get dangerous. I made the mistake of trying to get a few more rides out of them, which resulted in a few more ankle/foot injuries.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
If you are going to wear HIPOint boots you mine as well smash your feet with a sledge hammer right now. They offer little protection. I broke all my toes with those boots when I know tech 8's or another top boot would have saved me. They are just leather boots thats all they are. You need the hard plastic on top of the toes and on the inside of the boot. Take my advice how ever you want, but its the truth. If you buy the HIPoints make sure you post in the injury forum so I can say I told you so :)

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Dan, just curious, how old were your Hi Points when you sustained that injury? I never had a problem with lack of support with mine until they were worn out.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Camstyn
I never had a problem with lack of support with mine until they were worn out.

me neither. during the time i had mine, i managed to break several bones---none below the boot line.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I also wore Hi Points for years with no problems. They are a good boot but as others have said, once the get a little older they will get soft.

Whatever you do, don't put mink oil or anything else on them. It will just make them soft. In fact, it might help to put them away wet. That will harden them up. :)

savage

May 30, 2003
thanks for all the help. I've got to call Bob's and find out what's up. I ordered a bunch of stuff and they shipped alpinstars tech 4s in the wrong size by mistake. I originally ordered the last pair of size 9 hi-points, so I wonder if they even have those to sell me. My choices are:

hi-points $150
Oneal Hardware for $150
AXO RC-5 for $170 (they advertise they're more comfy this year, zio)
alpinstars vectors $200 (i question if these are any good)
Fox Pro Formas $200.

Since I've got to send them the tech 4's back anyway, and they were going to cover shipping here and back because they screwed up, I may have them send a couple of pairs to try out. It sounds like the consensus is the hipoints are good, but they don't last as long as the others because they're all leather. Can I expect these other boots to last longer? Do I need a boot that's less stiff for trail riding, or should I get the stiffest boot that I can stand? I imagine the stiffer the boot the longer I should be able to wear it? I don't really want to buy another pair in three years.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
one thing to remember, the stiffer the boot, the more difficult shifting and braking is.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
which bob's catalog are you using? mine has m-4's for $129 and m-6 for $179. why don't you try one of those?

savage

May 30, 2003
I've been limiting my choices to each manufacturer's top-of-the-line boot that are highly discounted. I've tried on the tech 6&8 in the stores and wasn't too impressed with the fit. I liked the sidis but just didn't want to part with that much cash. I'm just thinking that someones top-of the-line boot is probably better than someone elses mid-range. Sidi and Alpenstars have the names right now, and you pay for that name cause everyone knows they're going to sell out. I'm looking for comparable quality, but not as high of a demand with large availability. Bobs has some butt ugly white Oneal hardwears for $150, with the black ones going for $200. Basically, I'm looking for a killer deal on killer boots, no matter how ugly they are. I've haven't been looking at the catalogs, just online. It seems like bobs has the best deals.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Ok not to discredit the other guys here but Hipoint boots were great when bob hannah rode with them back in the day but the boots even new do not offer the protection needed. My boots were fairly new when I got my injury The boots are like a pair of friggin slippers to be honest. Dont buy them. I tell you what, I have a new pair of alpinestars 8's now. Well the old pair I have are in my basement with the soles falling off after 4 years abuse. A guy a few towns away will put new soles on the boots for 30 bucks. Then that old pair of boots are going to be new again pretty much. The rest of the boot is in great shape. I ride in the nastiest rocks,roots,logs and stuff you can imagine so my feet get banged around more. The boots are pricy but they are the best. Tell me someone else that sells a replacement complete sole for their boot. NO one probably because other boots dont last.

Top Bottom