Attn. So. Cal. Wrecking Crew--Phelan, 4-28

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I am way ready for this ride on Sunday! Can't wait, scout dem trails lizard boy!:)
Nice sig line, how long before Mrs. Boy sees it??!!:):)

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by RMjeff
Since the times 7:30 should I show up at 8 like everybody else?

That sounds right to me. Especially with folks coming from San Diego. Elk -- 8 won't kill you.

KTM Boy -- did you find a good staging area or two?

Although I'm quite certain I'm not yet up for the usual "hey Bundie I thought you said there was a trail around here somewH E E E R R R . . . . . " (I'll leave that to the crew), I'm hoping to get some back-in-the-saddle time, test the shoulder, and maybe bring my older boy if there's some benign loops near the staging area (KTM Boy?). Also, I'd like to bring the video cam and get some more footage of the SoCal Crew. I hope I can work out something along these lines (other than: "cough. cough. gasp. (cloud of dust settles). Guys? Guys? GUYS?") :confused:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You don't need steady shot LT, you ride so slow it's like you aren't moving anyway!!!!:)
To roost one must be in front! Words to live by. So much for a relaxing ride!:p:p Bundy, here, I found this at the swap meet for you....:moon: Thought you'd like it.
0800, fine, I'll compromise cause I'm that kinda guy. :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Great Pivey, you must be bringing the stone and chisel to capture his faster moves!!:):):) With that back tire, he won't be making much ground. It'll be easy to follow him on the trails, just look for the smooth snake-like tire marks:)

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Geesh, Elk, chill a lil' bit. Not even sure what the rag is. :silly:

Sounds good, JP. Just 'splain it to me, point me in the right direction, and let's go! :cool: Bet the sand hill is good fodder in some manner. :o

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Staging areas

Okay, here's the scoop-----
I figure we've got three good choices for this ride and we'll have to take a vote on it:

1.) Jeffs usual staging area down by the tracks. This will be the closest for you guys, but will require riding up to the ridges after each refueling stop, and is quite a ways from the sandhill. This also requires an Adventure pass.

2.) My buddys house. This is even a little farther from the ridges, closer to Cleghammer, and parking is free. (Would not be my first choise BTW!)

3.) This is my favorite. there is a small staging area right up on the ridge, real close to where the road from Jeffs staging area meets the ridges, but about a half mile north of there. It's right where 3 or 4 marked green sticker routes converge. Excellent exploring opportunities from this spot! This too would require the Adventure pass.
Access is off of Phelan road, about 3 miles west of 395.
Here are the directions just in case you guys want to try this one. It's a beautiful area, right at the top.

Directions: When you guys leave Mickey D's, continue north on the 15 to the Hwy. 395 exit. Go through the light at the bottom of the ramp (Joshua st.) and continue to the next light, Phelan Rd., where you will turn left.

You will now be headed west on Phelan Rd., and will make a left at the next traffic light, which will be Baldy Mesa Rd. This road is paved for 1.5 miles, then turns to dirt. If you have any concerns about this road, relax---I took my Honda Civic all the way up to the staging area on this road!
You will cross a set of RR tracks, and hit 1 stop sign before the pavement ends. Continue to follow this road down into a small valley and then back up onto the next ridge.

At about 3 miles you will pass under some large high voltage lines. Just a ways past this point you'll see an orange "road closed ahead" sign- ignore it and continue to the end of the road.

When you get to the end of the road you'll see an abandoned VW body to your left--take the little road that runs by it (about 200 yds.) over towards the second set of high voltage lines. Make a right. This will put you on the Power line road, which you will follow for 1 mile. You'll see where the road splits, and is marked by trail signs. This spot is 1/2 mile from the main ridge trail, and is where I'd like to stage. 7 miles total from 395.
It looks as though we can fit 10 to 15 vehicles in this area if we stage them side by side in the tower clearings.

Please take the time to vote for your preference so we can agree on where to meet. If you guys are game to try choice #3, I can arrange to meet you somewhere, (like the Wendys' at the bottom of the 395 off-ramp), at a pre-arranged time, and lead you all in, although I think with these directions someone can find their way in if they follow them carefully. Let me know! :cool: :aj:

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
FYI

#1 also requires a green sticker or plate and a spark arrestor.

I have been checked a few times

As far as voting..........doesnt really matter to me.......I'll park anywhere.....

Last edited:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by RMjeff
FYI

#1 also requires a green sticker or plate and a spark arrestor.

This makes #3 sound really good, I got an S/A but thats it

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
I think I may have to come out and join this motley crew. :aj:

I'm in.... I hope I can remember how to ride :scream:

See you boys at McD's at 7:30 am for lunch. Bunch of sleepin in pansey :moon: 's

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
Already countin' the days til Sunday :cool:

Never really got an answer regarding a S/A. Is one required ? I actually have a green sticker, just need to know if I need to borrow a S/A. A friend has offered his stock S/A from his WR426 for my YZ........should just bolt on. Think I'll have to re-jet ?

Last but certainly not least, will a stock YZ tank hold enough gas for the projected loops ?

Can ya tell I'm a rookie at trail-riding :eek:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by Mx Dude
Already countin' the days til Sunday :cool:

Never really got an answer regarding a S/A. Is one required ? I actually have a green sticker, just need to know if I need to borrow a S/A. A friend has offered his stock S/A from his WR426 for my YZ........should just bolt on. Think I'll have to re-jet ?

Last but certainly not least, will a stock YZ tank hold enough gas for the projected loops ?

Can ya tell I'm a rookie at trail-riding :eek:

RE: gas, there's a few people on 2 strokes with small tanks(Thumbs and Eel). So you'll run out when they do.

Re : S/A yes you should have one. I'd rater se you ride without the proper sticker than without a sparky. No one wants to burn down the forest right?

Re: rookie, all rookies are welcome just don't worry about the tutu's :p

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Re: Staging areas

Originally posted by ktmboy
3.) This is my favorite....When you guys leave Mickey D's, continue north on the 15 to the Hwy. 395 exit. Go through the light at the bottom of the ramp (Joshua st.) and continue to the next light, Phelan Rd., where you will turn left. You will now be headed east on Phelan Rd.,...

Near perfect directions, except one flaw: you'd be going west on Phelan Rd. as opposed to east as posted.

Shorty will be taking an academic test Sun. so we're out. Have fun, you b'strds :moon:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've done #1 and #2 in my shorts but not #3! I'd go for #3 too so I'll check the posts for the final outcome.
Wow LT, didn't know you were so sensative. Sorry, just having fun.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I am in for anyware that is red sticker legal (ive got a sparky now), and has shorter (YZ tank) size routes! does area #3 need a adventure pass? if so, how much, and where do you get them from, maybe meeting at a location that sells them would be a good starting point!

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by bclapham
does area #3 need a adventure pass? if so, how much, and where do you get them from, maybe meeting at a location that sells them would be a good starting point!

Most Big 5 sporting goods sell them, I assume other sporting good stores do as well. Annual pass is around $20 -30 I believe.

socaltrlrdr

May 8, 2001
PHELAN RIDE

OK BOYZ, I have been keeping tabs on you guy's for a while now. Have wanted to join the crew for a ride session but just have not had the time. I busted my butt pretty good racing MX in the Fire and Police Motocross nationals, and have decided I need to stop racing and start riding for the fun and enjoyment again. I grew up riding the trails of arrowhead(pinnacles,cactus flats,crabb flats,deep creek..etc). As soon as I get healed up from this last get off, I will be joining you guy's on one of your rides. Don't think I can make it by the 28th, but for sure on the next one.

PS: I know about the rag in the air filter out at cleghorn!!!! hehehe......
and chippies rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see ya on the trail soon!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom