CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Mtngoat, I'm really looking forward to this. How cold can I expect it to get overnight? The Eel & I were thinking of taking Friday off & heading up early to camp & explore the area - although this is not yet confirmed. Should I pick up a different needle to rejet with? If so, what size would you recommend?

SGR, I'll probably bring both the wife and mountain bikes. Maybe we could hookup for a pre-group ride, group ride (confusing enough?)

Kiwi, from what I've ascertained, I figured you were the hard-core!

Sounds like a virtual ....should I say it ... s****fest?

Can't wait!:cool: ...and please ... call me Jack!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
re:re-jetting

I was real concerned about this when I came up last time, as my 360 is really finicky about altitude changes, so I E-mailed Rick Sieman for advice on jetting changes. He made a suggestion, which I tried that worked: Mix your oil richer. In other words, I was running 40:1- changed my pre-mix to 32:1 for the Big Bear run, and did not foul a plug!
Even if you re-jet, it's something to keep in mind: if the bike is crapping out, just add more oil to your tank to lean out your fuel mixture.
Hope this helps.:D

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
the gears

Tony W.

I've been to Big Bear a few times, and found that the stock gearing on a YZF to be acceptable for almost any trail, but from what I've been reading about duct tape and rope, this ride could have a few tough spots.

I have this vision of riders on XR400's (trail bike first gear) snickering as YZF riders (highway first gear) struggle up a steep, tight, slippery, boulder infested trail. I can't imagine you backing down from "John Bull" and neither would I. If I make it (looks good so far) I'll be putting on a 13 tooth countershaft to even the odds a bit.

Hope to see you there.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
This is going to be awesome ... I'm totally stoked that so many people are gonna show ... will anyone be up for riding on Friday ?

We will most likely get in Thursday night and ride Friday & Saturday, maybe also Sunday depending on what everyone will be doing ...

Don't forget to bring those cameras .. this should be a great opportunity to record it for posterity ... meaning opportunities for lots of shots of bikeless riders in the dirt on their posteriors .... especially if we get to meet .... JOHN BULL !!

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
I am really going to be bummed if I have to miss this ride. :( I am having surgery tomorrow & I am not sure what the recovery period is going to be as far as getting back on the cycle.

I will post on whether I can make it as the date nears.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
I've got a slight advantage

Originally posted by holeshot
I have this vision of riders on XR400's (trail bike first gear) snickering as YZF riders (highway first gear) struggle up a steep, tight, slippery, boulder infested trail. I can't imagine you backing down from "John Bull" and neither would I. If I make it (looks good so far) I'll be putting on a 13 tooth countershaft to even the odds a bit.

Holeshot,

I've got a VERY slight advantage on your 426, since the '98 400 gear ratios weren't as close together. I'm running a 51 tooth on the rear, but I think I'll take your advice, and get a 13 on the front.

I've got to get the WB spark arrestor back on, and get the IMS tank on.

Are there any GPS downloads available for the proposed routes ? (I have a Garmin III Pilot).

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
gospeed & mtngoat - Thanks for the replys. Looks like I'm going to 330 main jet and moving the needle clip one position leaner and the air screw gets 3/4 turn out. These are the setting that my owners manual call for based on temp. and altitude.

ktmboy - Help me out here. You said to "mix your oil richer" by going from 40:1 to 32:1. That I understand. But then you said "just add more oil to your tank to LEAN out your fuel mixture." Now that confuses me. :confused:
Correct me if I'm wrong but in both cases are you not increasing the ratio of oil to gas? And if so then what gives?.......Just when I though I had this gas/oil, air/fuel and rich/lean thing down. :think

Team Knuckle Head - I might be up for a Friday ride depending on my arrival time. It will give me chance to check out the jetting thing.

Gyrros & cavo1 - page 2 updated

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Thumbs Up!

Originally posted by thumbs
ktmboy - Help me out here. You said to "mix your oil richer" by going from 40:1 to 32:1. That I understand. But then you said "just add more oil to your tank to LEAN out your fuel mixture." Now that confuses me. :confused:
Correct me if I'm wrong but in both cases are you not increasing the ratio of oil to gas? And if so then what gives?.......Just when I though I had this gas/oil, air/fuel and rich/lean thing down. :think

More oil/less gas in premix can/jug = leaner fuel overall.

Placelast Jr. & Sr. may show up for the 20-30 mi. green-sticker loop out of Big Pine (time, directions pls.) , regardless of difficulty (wait - who said that? Furry bird-man? Or the old (and I mean old) man - you know, the one who looks like an aged Man from Glad? :p

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
cavo1 (Scott), you're online!!. Let me know about doing valves before the ride.

Jack, lows currently in the 40s, but I expect will rise to 50s by the ride. Here's a link: http://www.bigbear.com/weather/forecast/ Also, let me know about doing valves before the ride. Hate to have something not right and mess up your ride. The needle of choice is the dual-taper from Honda, clip in the middle position.

KTMster, hope you heal fast.

Eel, I may come up thurs night too and will try to hook up Friday.

Tony, I use the Mapsource Topo software downloaded into my Garmin. It works well and displays all the trails, although they're not marked with forestry designations. You can use the posted map to edit your displayed maps. I'm planning on multiple lead and sweep riders for both loops to make sure no one gets lost.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
Looks like I can make it that weekend, looking forward to meeting the hard core.

Kiwi. We all thought that was you!;)

Ms. Speedy. You and TTr Guy better get busy getting that RM back together. Maybe you should let him off on some of the domestic chores.:p

Holeshot. The duct tape is to tape LT back together after he crashes. Last time we literally had to tape him to his motorcycle.
:D

Mtngoat. I would be glad to do trail sweep this time or whatever help you may need. I carry ropes and medical supplies on my XR.

This is going to be a gass!:cool:

Ol'89r

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by Ol'89r
This is going to be a gass!:cool:

A true sign you are NOT a child of the 80's...... or 70's..... or 60's....... :p

What are you talking about old man? He is helping me with the restoration of the RM....... he hands me the tools!! (and occasionally whacks at it with a mallet and breaks stuff!) :p

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Longtime,

are you riding??? if so when are you thinking of heading up. maybe we could car pool again. :cool:

Hey if your heading up early you should bring that brain scanner your company makes. I bet we'd get some interesting readings :p

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
THUMBS- placelast got it. You can change your pre-mix ratio (more oil equals less gas = leaner.) What I meant by adding to your tank is that some people are planning to drop a main jet size or two, (and keeping their usual ratio). For these people. if you find that you're still jetted too rich, adding more oil directly to the tank (on your bike) will lean things out.:D
Yeh, this whole mix/jetting thing is mysterious to me too!

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by Gyrros
This seems like a great ride, mountain goat. Aares and I will try to make it out there. Mountain goat, I have a mx tank on my bike will that amount of gas be OK? I would't want to run out of gas, 20 miles out.

You should be fine at 30 miles. I ride a RM250 usually with the stock tank.

Worst case there will be enough people to ride back and grab a can in case of one us 2 strokes run out:D

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
We can always carry some extra for the 2 strokers in our packs - that way we can all keep enjoying the ride. With 25 people I bet we could carry a whole lot of gas ... :)

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
Well, it's not looking so good for me getting up to Big Bear. I am considering trying to find a good deal on a rental truck. I think budget had/ has the Ranger for twenty dollars a day. Everyone that has been bugging me to find us some different sceanery to ride in is going out of town about that time, and with all of my money going to trying to fix my Suburban, I haven't finished the trailer. To top it all off I'm going on a vacation back to Missouri for the next three weeks, so I doubt I can get the truck and the trailer done between when I get back and the 13 of July.:scream: :scream:
So, if anyone is planning on driving through Yuma on the way out let me know. Otherwise, I will try to get a rental. I thought about just hanging it all up, but this is going to be too much fun. :) :D

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer

I try to be kind. My parents taught me to respect the elderly. :p

Sounds like you didn't listen to them either.;)

Ok, ok, I forgot I was talking to a bunch of whippersnapers. Hows this. This is going to be like totally kwell dude!

Careful, LT. Remember what they say about paybacks.:p

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I just heard its at 600 acres south of Big Bear/ Running Springs area and still going.

Top Bottom