Status
Not open for further replies.

ncmountainman

Nov 13, 2004
Jaybird said:
Show of hands...
(1) how many morons here riding 4 strokes know where there valve lash is?
(2) how many morons here know what makes a bike start easy?
(3) how many morons here can explain the "theory" (the one that sounds good) behind Splitfire plugs?
(4) how many morons here think that at least one individual in this thread has absolutely no credibility now, no matter what the future subjects may be?
(5) how many of you morons will run out and buy an I-cat due to the credible evidence of it's worth that has been scientifically laid out for us all to enjoy?
by answering these ? that would designate myself as a moron,which in turn would be moronic. but i can't help myself :p 1.just checked it last month and was within spec still after 1500mi. 2.ICAT !!!!!! 3. two tips firing at one electrode (it may reduce spark energy but it worked well with a high energy ignition) i ran them in a high performance 351 windsor along with msd ignition and they ran well. maybe not any better but very well. 4. starting not to care what you people think,i was only trying to give my opinion of a controversial product.5. i hope that some of you overcome your fears and get to experience the difference for yourself instead of having to believe some unscientific ramblings of a disillusioned man who is going to have to move under a bridge now to hide in shame (and also because i spent my mortgage money on a useless piece of plastic) well anyway sorry to insult your intelligence,even though you may keep it up your a$$ :uh:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Did you know splitfire plugs got a massive fine for misleading claims? maybe thats why ICAT removed the dynos? seeing as i was the main one banging on about the dynos, maybe it was me that got them to remove the dyno from the website, this then meant they never got sued and so should give me a massive payment to show there appreciation :rotfl: or they should have paid me loads to shut up-either one would do :aj:

On the starting issue -if honda charge $6-7K for a new bike, shouldnt it start without spending more? :clue:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
marcusgunby said:
and so should give me a massive payment to show there appreciation :rotfl: or they should have paid me loads to shut up-either one would do :aj:

Maybe they'll pay you in product :yikes:

Funny part about all this is it's probably selling more iCats than their ads :think: Heck, I'm even considering one, just to prove to myself it does, or doesn't work. $200 doesn't seem like alot of experimentation money, when you consider how much is spent on anodized triple clamps, Ti footpegs, $70 levers, coloured rims and spoke nipples, and misc other crap that don't make you any faster. For that matter, if we were really concerned about getting our moneys worth none of use would buy MX jerseys! Talk about paying 10x what something is worth!

Yeah, maybe I'll buy an iCat! ...then again, maybe not ;)

ncmountainman

Nov 13, 2004
marcusgunby said:
On the starting issue -if honda charge $6-7K for a new bike, shouldnt it start without spending more? :clue:
well gee wiz murcus i didn't know the japanese had 'em perfect out of the box. where do you get your perfect bikes at ???? i'm not sure but have read that the australian factory yamaha teams use this product? does anyone have any affiliation with them? wouldn't it be funny if the 06 yamaha's came with them stock :laugh:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im just having a jibe at the 4 stroke owners-im soon to be one so when mine wont start the shoe will be on the other foot :ohmy:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Jabird- there is no need to go out and start calling people morons, many people read this site and wont post due to this attitude. they might have some interesting input but we will never know.

And as for everyone wanting scientific evidence, well i am a scientist, and i work with many scientists, many of them are liars and cheats and more dishonest than many crooks i have come accross.

Take me to any college library, and i can pick out many articles that could be taken as being fact, but are based upon lies.

Also, many of the worlds best discoveries were came first from anechdotal SP? evidence.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Brucie, did you read the thread right? It was ncmountainman that started with all the moron crap, not Jboyd. He just went down to his level for the reply. :moon:

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
LOL- there is about 12 pages, i just got an email notification with Jaybird calling someone a moron, LOL- but he has got a record for that!!!! :)

Right, everyone needs to stop the moron calling.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
This is the biggest urination conflagration that I've seen on DRN in my two years here.

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Even if the dyno showed that this magic part LOST power, some folks would swear it fortold the second coming of Jesus.

When I see ncmountainman's face on the cover of Rolling Stone, I'll believe. Are ya winning more races and blowing the pros away? Or does it just feel better?

ncmountainman

Nov 13, 2004
rolling stone ?

i guess i'll send 5 copies to my mutha, it all boils down to the fact that your all going off one dyno run. now did you leave the jetting the way it was before install? because in the real world i had to richen a half turn (and yes the conditions were the same when i rode it prior to install) because it leaned out the bottom now that (to me anyway) would explain some of the "felt" performance gains and could also explain the loss of power on the dyno?(it was too lean) now i would say that your early dismissal of this product was unproffesional at the least! and you can tell me all day long that the easier starting is all in my head,but that is not an imaginary happenstance. it really does help starting!,and i'm sorry about the moron thing but man i'm gettin' tired of people who know little or nothing of this product telling me its an imaginary friend, just because i feel so bad about wasting 190 bucks, people 190 bucks ain't squat,compared to some of the outrageous crap some people buy! i believe one current thread is what color rims should i buy? 'nuff said.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Got a chuckle today when I checked my e-mail. The following message pops up:

Symantec Email Proxy deleted the following email message:

To: Electronic_Mail@dirtrider.net
Subject: illegal signs in your mail

The message was infected with the W32.Sober.I@mm virus. Yes I know the sender address is spoofed but it just made me laugh after all the tenseness in this thread that I get a virus from that sender :laugh: On a more serious note someone on this board that's received e-mail from icateurope likely has a virus issue.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I think that this thread is in the "Product Reviews " etc. forum. Is this not the correct place to post ones opinions of a product one has used ? My opinion is that it works, but if I find anything else that works I shall be keeping it to myself :( As for evidence, bclaphams point about anecdotal evidence is very pertinent, and I say this as someone who spends thier working life surrounded by and relying upon "scientists" and scientific evidence. FWIW, and with apologies to Marcus, one dyno run hardly qualifies as scientific evidence, and should correctly be viewed either as anecdotal, or worthless. However, I personally do value this evidence because of its source and also because I do value even one dyno run. Having said that, the issue for me is not outright power anyway, and I haven't cited that as an advantage. I once raised the cylinder on my old RM by 0.5mm and skimmed the head by a similar amount and the hit almost took my arms off my shoulders. It was no good for me. This mod cost the princely sum of one extra base gasket and £25.0 at the machinists, but for me it was a waste of money, and after persisting for half a season I gave up on it. I certainly won't be taking the i-cat off.

I would still like to see more riding reports from persons who have actually tried the product on the track. Surely all of those who bought one and are regretting it are not too ashamed to own up ?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
ncmountainman and muddy make some good points and i love to debate so i guess this thread maybe one of the longest on record for DRN? okie will let us know:) no i didnt change jetting on the ICAT runs-it is possible it needed a richer or even leaner setting but is wasnt obvious to KP(Karl Prestwood tuner to alot of the world GP riders) it did-when my friend took his 04 rm125 to be tested KP immediatly noticed it was lean and found some hp by richinging it up.

Next point KP has tested the ICAT twice, once on my bike and once on a 03 KTM125(i can post that dyno if i havnt already)
If it was a jetting thing then why did US ICAT take down the dyno runs?I wanted the ICAT to work BTW, im always after any kind of advantage i can get, tedkdx was kind enough to lend me one and wanted to do a deal on selling me one.I didnt want to test it after KP told me he had already done one but he insisted i should put it on and prove it a second time, KP is a believer in trying and retrying, its easy to get confused and something as simple as too hot an engine will throw off results.

Next point why doesnt a ICAT owner like ncmountainman take the time to dyno test it himself-if $200 is such a small amount of money then $25 for a dyno run is nothing, everyone has a dyno near them, www.dynojet.com has all the dyno centres.

ncmountainman

Nov 13, 2004
i'm with you on the no more hp thing, and i don't believe my bike will show any more on a dyno. what i do believe is it comes in a little quicker and runs a little better (hard to prove !). so you had to richen that RM that doesn't say anything but its burning more efficiently to me? i also read something while researching this thing that it works better the more cc's the motor is? and yes this is lengthy but i'm not letting it go with "your mind is just playin' tricks on ya!" until one of you so called experts put one on a bike and ride it. then if you come back and say it doesn't do a dang thing well then send it back!! but chances are your gonna want to keep it on there :cool: and doesn't dirt rider have a budget for such things?? i pay like $5 for the mag somebodys makin' some money!!! :yeehaw:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
ncmountainman said:
i'm with you on the no more hp thing, and i don't believe my bike will show any more on a dyno. what i do believe is it comes in a little quicker and runs a little better (hard to prove !).

So I guess we can ignore the "it almost sent me over the back the first time I got on it".......stuff

Sounds like your spaceship is returning to earth, now that the excitement is over.

ncmountainman

Nov 13, 2004
steve125 said:
So I guess we can ignore the "it almost sent me over the back the first time I got on it".......stuff

Sounds like your spaceship is returning to earth, now that the excitement is over.
no ,that comment still stands.it comes in that much quicker,i don't know if you have ever ridden a modded out 450 but it kinda wants to send you over backwards anyhow (especially with 13-52 gearing) i just wasn't expecting the extra snap!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
ncmountainman said:
...just checked it last month and was within spec still after 1500mi.
:think:

Bruce,
My "record" on the moron issue is only your perception, and gets unfairly perpetuated by your implication.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
ncmountain you misread what i wrote, the rm that needed to be richened was not fitted with a ICAT, that was trying to show KP generally knows when a bike needs the jetting altered, in this case he didnt feel the need to adjust, thats not to say it was perfect jetting with the icat.The jury is out on the jetting with the ICAT in place,

my conclusion is
1 it doesnt make more HP
2 it costs similar to a pipe
3 around 75% of the replies in this thread of owners with it fitted say it makes a difference.
4 the advertising was very poor and still isnt good, like Rich pointed out it isnt very scientific(many product arnt i know) -that may not put some poeple off but i smell a rat.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Ground control to Major Tom, take yer protein pill and put yer I-Cat on. :moon:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Probably...the other really long and opinionated one that I can think of is the O-Ring vs. Non O-Ring debate thread.

ncmountainman

Nov 13, 2004
Jaybird said:

Bruce,
My "record" on the moron issue is only your perception, and gets unfairly perpetuated by your implication.
was kinda wondering why you quoted that i checked my valves last month??? they were a little on the tight side but still o.k.? sorry i misunderstood marcus but mine definately needed richening after install. not that i know anything at all about dem'dere motosicles. its kinda like a baptist who has been taught that alcohol is evil and beer tastes nasty when in fact they have never drank a beer? one can never get him to try one ,no matter how hard one tries because in his mind he already has resigned that beer is evil.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Jaybird said:

Bruce,

Sorry Jaybird, but was i imagining it when Okie banned you for a week for being rude and offensive to people then? :|

It seems by using a long list with "Moron" in every line, that you are the one perpetuating this.

However, this has got to be the lamest thread we have had for a while, half of the people have tried this thing and feel it gives a difference, the other half have never ridden with it yet dont believe it will make a difference- how many posts will it go on for?

Rich, time to lock this one down, its going no where fast!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bclapham said:
Rich, time to lock this one down, its going no where fast!

That happened weeks ago on this one Bruce :)

Bruce is right, stick a fork in it boys cuz it's DONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom