MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
tutoroto,

That day I was out looking at a training area for my Marine Reserve unit. I was driving south on Omo Ranch road. I turned on the paved/dirt road that takes you to the North end staging area of the Gold Note/Pipi riding area. That same road will end up back on the North South road. That road had about 1 1/2 ft of snow on it in some places. Most of the snow was in real shady areas of the road. I did not make it into the staging area. I turned around because of a rather large drift across the road.

I just called the Forrest Service office and they informed me that the North South road still has snow on it. The upper part of the road was dry, but once you start down close by Sapiagio (sp) Springs it gets pretty icy. Getting into Elkins Flat would be pretty tought at today. They are expecting rain in the lower elevations over the and more snow above the 8000ft. The rain will help melt the ice and snow off the road, so by the 31st it may be clear.
I'll give them a call next week and get more info.

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

tutoroto

Jan 2, 2001
Kalitude,
what's the matter, Kevin hasn't asked you yet???

Actually, I was hoping that the date would be pushed back a little so I could meet some of the DRN'ers and ride with them. I was really bummed about missing the Reno Spodefest. Help me out here!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Does the fiance ride? You can always go to Hawaii but how often do you get to hang out with DRN'ers? Come to Elkins Flat and it'll be just like a second reception except w/o tux's and prom dresses :)

Brian

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
"2001 Sponsors: Visa and MasterCard"

bwwwaahhhaa! I just noticed your sig line Kali! That's hilarious! :)

I hear ya Kali. Cept' not all men are as sane as your Kevin... some just won't listen to the posted "warning" signs.... :eek:

I would like to try and make it to this ride as well. We'll have to see what the future has in store first though...... :)

------------------
Aimee
RM125
AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Coalition Member
gospeedracer’s Picture Page

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Originally posted by NVR FNSH:
Come to Elkins Flat and it'll be just like a second reception except w/o tux's and prom dresses :)

Brian
I don't know, tux's and prom dresses that could be a really fun ride. We might make it into the pages of Glamour :p ( I'd even make crepe paper streamers for the Newlyweds bike!)
(I think they should ride double, ;) at least the 1st day)

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
I'll be there :D Friday the 11th is my retirement ceremony here in Sacto. I will be leaving from work (Sacramento)to Elkins Flat.

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
DRN Spring Fling Spodefest guest list.
As of 3/30/01
Kalitude & guest????
Kevimetal
Fremontguy
MR.WR
dirt bike dave and guests???

Maybe's
KAV
Phatty 520 & Crew

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

[This message has been edited by MR.WR (edited 03-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MR.WR (edited 03-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MR.WR (edited 03-30-2001).]

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Will try to make it and maybe bring some friends. Mr. WR - I'd still love to do a Gas Gas / CRE comparison test!

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
dirt bike dave,

Bring it on!!!! I'd like to check out your CRE!

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
If you would like to get trail maps of the Elkins Flat and Gold Note / Pipi ridng area give the Amador Ranger District office a call and they will mail you the maps.

Get the skinny here!

26820 Silver Drive
Pioneer, CA 95666
209-295-4251
TTY 209-295-5996
FAX 209-295-5998
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Monday - Friday
(Extended Summer Hours: Mon.-Sat.)

If you would like to camp in a camp ground that is very close to the Elkins Flat staging area check out this link. http://www.reserveusa.com/nrrs/ca/pipi/#areas
http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/eldorado/fish/rivers/river01.htm

Here are directions to Elkins Flat staging area.
From the San Francisco Bay Area, take 580 East to 205, and then follow 205 until it turns into I-5 North.
Stay in the right lane on I-5 and exit on 120 East.
Exit Highway 120 and go north at Highway 99.
Exit Highway 99 and go east at Highway 88.
Follow Highway 88 to and through the town of Jackson.
Go left at Omo Ranch Road.
Take the very next right on PIPI road.
Follow PIPI road to and past PIPI Valley campground.
The next camping area past PIPI Valley campground is Elkins Flat.

Here is a link to view the Pipi / Gold Note trail net work. This side of the mountain is has some really nice trails. There is a trail that connects Elkins Flat to Gold Note side. http://www.4wdriver.com/regions/region1/maps/ca-goldnote.gif

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

tutoroto

Jan 2, 2001
Well this just really sucks cuz I can't make it. Have fun people and let me know how it was. I want to ride there so I will propose a little get together upon my return and hopefully some of you guys/gals can make it.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
tutoroto,

Drop me an e-mail sometime and we'll hook up and head up to Elkins Flat sometime this spring
E-mail me @ mt3537@yahoo.com

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I wish I could make it, but I'm racing on 5/13. I don't know why there is always something getting in the way of me making your rides MR. WR (Mr.GG). Sorry!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
posted by Strick:
I wish I could make it, but I'm racing on 5/13. I don't know why there is always something getting in the way of me making your rides MR. WR (Mr.GG). Sorry!

I think you plan it that way :p

No problem, we'll get together and ride Pine Nuts later on in the spring. Let me know when YOUR not busy :rolleyes:

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
I was checking out your possible Spodefest for central California and was wondering if anyone has ever rode Deer Creek? It's located in the Central Sierras just east of Sonora, outside of Twain Harte near Lyons Lake. The riding is awsome with lots of tight single track and open fire roads. It is probably 25%-30% the size of Clear Creek but has much better woods riding, it's also at about 3000-4000 ft. so it's usually pretty cool. There is also Hull Creek which is just another 10 min. up the road outside of Long Barn. I also noticed on the District 36 web site that they are scheduling an enduro for the area 1st of June. Primitive camping with porta potties available. The place is incredible and no one really seems to know abut it from the amount of people I see riding the area. Anyway it is worth a trip to check out.

Dean Johnson
dean@hmrusa.com

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I've ridden the Dear Creek area while participating in the Polecat enduro. I agree the riding there is great. They took us through some excellent woods trails, and a rocky uphill that challenged all riders. The only thing I found to be a negative was the dust, but that was middle June. It may not be so bad in May. Camping is also quite rustic. I believe there are even trail maps available.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I think I'll be able to make this. I can bring a extra bike if needed. (My DR350S)

------------------
'01 YZ250
'92 DR350S

Lessons will be repeated until there are learned.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Ah shifty, you went and told the whole world about Deer Creek :) Only a couple hours away from me, great riding. I'm headed there this Mon., anyone else free from responsibility Mon.?

Les

------------------
'99 XR400R '95 300EXC

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
freemontguy

check your email!!!!! I might go up there on Monday with you!!!

Rick

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
Freemontguy,

Sorry to drop the dime on this awesome riding spot, but I get so lonely out there all by myself. Have you checked out Hull Creek outside of Long Barn? I haven't gotten over there yet but was told that it's even better than Deer Creek. Let me know when you plan on going up there, I've got a cabin in cold springs me and a few buddies are up there quite a bit this time of year. Look forward to hookin' up with some DRN riders...

Dean

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Haven't been to Hull Creek area yet Shifty1408. The rangers sent me a massive map of that area but I didn't see any marked motorcycle trails on it, just 4x4 roads. I'll have to check it out one of these weekends. In the same general area I've ridden Niagra ridge and Black springs, can't recomend either for bike riding fun.

Top Bottom