firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
www.hondamotorcycles.com

Check out the "future of performance" in the center, then go to the new CR 150F and CR 230F.

They're pretty much a XR100 and 200 motor bored out in new plastic but they're a step ahead . . .

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
So, are these bikes going to replace the XR100 and 200?
Since the CRF150 and 230 are geard towards trail riding Im thinking they are going to stop production of the XR 100 and 200:think

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
This is Honda's reply to Yamaha. The small bore TTR's have been kickin' the small bore XR's butt in sales for the past two years. Honda had owned that market for 25 years. I'm sure that Yamaha put a dent in their bottom line.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
It's a good step for Honda, but it's a small one. Air-cooled, drum brakes, outdated suspension--I mean really, can't they do something better? I wonder if they'll be as heavy as the XRs were, the 230 especially. I'm glad to see something new but won't be buying one. They might make ok starter bikes but most of us who started on one would step up eventually.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
FC,

They have front disc brakes but still a drum on the rear. Don't know what Honda was thinking there. If it's the same old suspension and basic mechanics, I don't see it being that big of a deal. If they will really put some research and effort into it (like Yamaha has done) maybe it will be a good thing. Sheesh..... front disc and rear drum, that is rediculous!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I think what you're looking at are Honda's answers to the TTR125L and the TTR225. The CRF150F looks like it'll be seen in the Langtown backyard race up against the TTR125L creations, while the CRF230F looks like it will smoke the pants off that morphodite lookin' TTR225!

Patience, ladies, patience!;)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Patience, ladies, patience!

Personally, I'm sick of waiting to be taken seriously by the manufacturers. The more I wait, the more ticked I get at them for giving us bikes not equal to our husband's/boyfriend's as our only options. How do they expect us to keep up? These options are holding us back. Grrrrr arrrrggg.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Maybe we don't want you to keep up. That way we have time to pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off before you get there to see the pile-up we just experienced! :confused:

Actually, I'm with you on the fact that all bikes should have all the newest, trickest components. But you gotta remember, they gotta keep the entry-level price on those entry-level bikes.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by CJ Rider
How do they expect us to keep up? These options are holding us back.

I hope you don't really believe that. Having the latest and greatest does not make you a better rider.

BTW - There's not a whole lot of technology in those little TTR's.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
I agree that those little TTRs don't have the latest and greatest AND that the latest and greatest doesn't make you a better rider, but you are missing the entire point! I'm just looking for equality! Why do I have to ride an inferior bike? I have no other choice and THAT STINKS! I also realize manufacturers have to fill the beginner market as mentioned above, but then there is nothing for small women to move up to. There's a huge hole in the product line. Hey manufacturers- I'd spend the money, for pete's sake! Don't short change us (little pun there)!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, slowly but surely, I think they'll come around. The TTRs were kind of like these new Hondas--a step in the right direction, even if it's a baby step. Besides--I bet we'll have a ton of cool BBR stuff ready to go by the time the bikes are available. Spring kits . . . billet goodies . . . who knows?

I guess it all washes out in the end, anyway. Buy a cheap bike, spend $ to trick it out, or buy an expensive bike. Getting something that works for you is the most important thing.

I'm interested in the rumored orange mid-size bikes--an 80 and a 100 is what I heard KTM is going to start making. Knowing KTM, they'll have gobs of power! Their 125s are amazing (and 200s too, of course).

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Why do I have to ride an inferior bike?
CJ, this is your whole problem, you believe you're riding an inferior bike. For some reason, there's a notion that, everyone has to have the latest in dirt-bike technology in order to be a better rider. What they really need is practice. :D

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by CNM :
"They have front disc brakes but still a drum on the rear. Sheesh..... front disc and rear drum, that is rediculous! "

Thats one step better than my ride (double shoe front drum, std rear drum.) but i'm not losing any sleep over it. :D
Heck i can lock up either one at most any speed anyways.
Discs would be nice, but unless your competing or riding really hard they are kinda overkill. IMHO.
Although if you are looking for a more advanced machine to compete -w- hubby or the boyfriend why not a cr/rm/kx/yz 80 or 125????:think

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I also realize manufacturers have to fill the beginner market as mentioned above, but then there is nothing for small women to move up to. There's a huge hole in the product line.

CJ,
I kind of doubt that Honda (& Yamaha for that matter) think they are leaving a huge hole in their product lines. Unfortunately, there aren't really that many small riders that can utilize/need a high performance bike in a small package. The mfgs spend a ton of money on marketing and they study the demographics of the buying public - I can't see there being much of a demand for a $6k 150cc dirt bike. It's an unfortunate catch-22 situation. Personally, I'd love to see the high performance 'small' stature bikes but I just don't think we're going to see it from the Japanese mfgs.

Brian

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
I think you are very right NVR FNSH. So sad. On another note... I'm gonna go down to Pueblo and check out a Gas Gas Pampara here pretty soon. That's one option I really haven't researched enough yet. Then, it's time to really start researching major modifications. Like you say FC22, there are companies out there with after market parts ready to help with that sort of thing.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
There are a couple schools of thought on bike choice—buy a small bike and make it fast, or buy a fast bike and make it small. They are both expensive.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by firecracker22
There are a couple schools of thought on bike choice—buy a small bike and make it fast, or buy a fast bike and make it small. They are both expensive.
FC - I don't think "fast" is the word you're looking for. There aren't many bikes (80cc's and up) where the top speed limits how fast it can be ridden on a trail.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
CJ, this is your whole problem, you believe you're riding an inferior bike. For some reason, there's a notion that, everyone has to have the latest in dirt-bike technology in order to be a better rider. What they really need is practice.

... And this written by somebody who rides a '98 Gas Gas 250 EC. I smell hypocrite. Equality, baby! Nuff said. :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Think about it this way: When riding a 4-stroke, how often do you actually use the back brake? For me, it's very rarely.

Also, a small-bore 4-stroke would stay a lot lighter by remaining air-cooled instead of going the liquid route. There's enough higher-up weight without putting a radiatior upstairs.

I'm not defending Honda for their bikes, but I think they are hitting their targets (TTR125L and TTR225). Who cares what the letters are? Whoopedeedoo.

The only thing I have a beef with on these new bikes is suspension components. That is the one thing the manufacturers could step up and make better for entry-level bikes.

Like it was said before, how come nobody's bagging on Kawasaki (or Suzuki/KTM/Husqvarna/TM/VOR/ATK/Husaberg) for not building better entry-level bikes or bikes for the ladies?:think

They don't build them for 6' 8" 275 lb gorillas either! How 'bout some equality for me? I make due.;)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator
The only thing I have a beef with on these new bikes is suspension components. That is the one thing the manufacturers could step up and make better for entry-level bikes.

Then haven't you defeated the purpose of an entry level bike? Entry level implies both skill of the operator and cost.

Originally posted by XRpredator

They don't build them for 6' 8" 275 lb gorillas either! How 'bout some equality for me? I make due.;)

I hear you. Think the mfgs would take notice if we went on a hunger strike? Wait, my wife may put me on a hunger strike anyhow:(

Brian

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by bbbom
Honda has made a great ladies bike for years, until this year at least!!

The CR500, a sweet little machine for us petite and dainty flowers! ;)
LOWOTFBTC (Laughing out, waving on the floor, biting the carpet) :)

Top Bottom