war child

Jan 4, 2009
right my yz80 rebuild is well on the way now ive striped engine from bike , didnt have a jet washer so i had to clean engine in sink first and some water got in engine , but because im gona rebuild it , it shouldnt cause to much of a problem, ive took out every thing but i havnt split the engine yet bcos my crank puller hasnt come yet, but when i do i want to clean all the engine parts like new before they go back in, will i need to use oil of some kind to lube them up before they can go back in or can i put them in bone dry and clean and just let the oil i put back in the engine do its job, as you would normaly put in througth fill cap, and just let the engine, oil the crank and bearings, to oil or not to oil that is the question, and i will be cleaning all gear cogs and selectors and every thing realy i want it like new in engine

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
You have to pre-lube everything prior to re-assembly. Engine oil will do just fine. 2-stroke oil should be used to lubricate the engine parts, like the crank, piston, and rings.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Hot water and dish soap, no citrus additives! Citric acids pickle aluminum. A stiff toothbrush and get her clean. Hot water rinse and spray with wd40. Bearings that run in the transmission, get whatever oil you normally use on it for assembly. The crank mains get what I use for premix.

war child

Jan 4, 2009
oh bolocks iv got a engine case sat at my house ive cleaned with citrus oxy cleaner and when i cleaned it i sprayed a load more on for a good soak, i noticed the case looking a bit funny but bcos it was looking cleaner i was happy and i cant get back to wipe it tonight im at my girlfriends, what will it do does pickling make it weak or damidge it i realy did use strong citrus stuff it was under the sink so i thaught y not use it

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It will not change the properties, just the color. Never leave anything aggressive on metal for long. It will be a darker shade than it was. Soda blasting seems the phrase of the month. If you really need the color back, give it a try. I do not know of anything that actually changes the properties of aluminum. Anodizing is just a color. If you find a way to make aluminum harder$$$$ Let me know!

war child

Jan 4, 2009
well i had a quick look, and i mean a quick look not cheap that soda blasting looks good thougth , ill stick with my patchy yz80 engine, or engine paint ?????? right im of again to use gooogle to look at a decent engine paint, dont want it to look cheap thougth after all my hard work ,,

war child

Jan 4, 2009
just thaught id ad what ive done to the bike so far so you guys can here what all your help has gone towards, the story so far ,,,

my little brother got a motor x bike yz80 hardly ever works ,,, got his older mate to fix it new piston and rings,, i didnt get involved much at this point i didnt know what i was doing , just trying to stop him moping about the house bcos of his bike, his mate fixed it and with in 2 days it was broke again, so in i step.

took of carb and give a roody good clean and put back on. part 1 of my learning curve

part 2 no spark, did every thing no joy got a multimeter and checked it all did every thing manual said, traced it back to second coil in magnito,
still need to get this re wound, bcos i made it worse trying to get the wire in again whick had snaped off, it had snaped off bcos the idiot that ripped my brother off when he sold it him had used house screws to put the coil on, yes house screws!!!!! , obviously they wouldnt tighten in propaly so they cross threaded them half way in, rounded the head of to the point i had to drill them out, also one part snaped off and the coil on one side was flying round or scraping on the magnets, which i thing helped wreck the crank bearings and maybe the rod aswell bcos it moves up and down in the case about a inch ! , well see this week when i split case with new tool,
part 3 , took out all engine today and cleaned and striped it, got paper and sticky tape and taged every single piece and where it came from, and cleaned them and they was filthy,
next job, split case inspect damage that the ball bearings did flying around when he was riding it, clean some more, full new engine oil seals pack, use physics to put in bearings and crank, re asemble it all, get new stator coil or rewound the old coil , put engine in bike and then watch as i probably have to start all over again,thats if it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Have alittle faith in yourself mate!!!! I'm sure if you are taking your time and paying attention, you'll do just fine. I just wish I was close by to help you better.

war child

Jan 4, 2009
i wish you were sharky, will it look straight forward which seals go were bcos i got a full engine oil seal pack for the bike so its probably worth while changing them while i do the crank bearings , i ask bcos they all look very simular, being a plumber i use more washers than any one its just when doing this for the first time if any are damaged i might not be able to cross refrance them to well to the new ones,

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
The seals should be different sizes for both sides. The one on the clutch side should be double lipped because it is sealing out the transmission oil. Changing them is only common sense when you do a bottom end. Match the new seals up with the old ones as you take them out.

Mar 18, 2006
This might help you to clean your cases.

search "acid" with "longtime coming" and read the whole thread carefully. If you decide to use muriatic acid, wear rubber gloves in a well-ventilated area. Hopefully the citric acid cleaner didn't do any thing bad(probably not). I am almost positive that scrubbing with a powdered vitamin "C" solution (actycylic acid and water) would work, but I haven't tried it in this application. Also powdered vitamin "C is too expensive. Muriatic acid is cheap. There are probably several aluminum cleaning/polishing products that would work good also. Fox is right, acid will change the color. If you get the solution and timing right, though, it will turn bright, not dark (especially if it were polished afterwards). Might be more painstaking work than it is worth. The most important thing is getting it back together properly. It's nice to see you helping out your brother. Good Luck!! :)

war child

Jan 4, 2009
cheers , i think im gona scrub down realy well the engine block and just use a high temp engine paint, and just give it a light spray to get it back to colour , with it being high temp it might not peel and flake, i hope , i think doing this will help coat engine and stop the dirt and oil that had realt got cloged up on engine, hes gona have to wash it down every time he takes it out now , i cant work on a engine that was this grubby again, silver colour engine paint ? what you think guys

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Take your time, and do not over think your project. It seems your on the right track, and faith in yourself will get it done. You have already learned better methods for the future, taking apart clean engines! Silver paint, if its that big of an issue, wait for 15 to 20 hours of engine time, clean it, take off the rubber and plastic parts, and heve it bead blasted or something similar. Natural aluminum is hard to match a color to. High temp paints do not have a wide range of colors to choose from, black? I am a plumber also, you would not like a bright brass finish?

war child

Jan 4, 2009
yeah i think you are right i should just consentrate on getting it back together for now, its just when you have took all bike to pieces you start seeing more stuff to do

war child

Jan 4, 2009
oh that cr 250 i wanted that sold was 200 english pounds or nearest offer, so id say 170 cash realy clean bike, just wouldnt start and owner hadnt got a clue, it sold the fist night it got put in local secound hand website, and was advertised at 650 pounds in the same website the next morning, still not runing bcos of a bad cylinder head, still cheap to fix , im gutted i missed that bike sounded like a realy good buy, might of been a bit to fast for me thougth even thougth im a man, them things are powerfull and ive not rode a motox bike that much just my brothers for the odd day it did work and that thing when on power band was qrazy for a little bike, and should run better now ive cleaned all the carb and jets

Mar 18, 2006
there will be others. don't worry. We've all missed "the deal". When you have the time. Really consider what you want in a bike and what you will do with it. Then fill out the info in the "what bike do I get" forum for some good suggestions. You may find that you don't want an MX bike after all. You may want a trail bike. Now, back to your project.

war child

Jan 4, 2009
right ok here goes, ive broke one of the clutch basket points off trying to undo the nut with out a fly wheel tool, ive bent the con rod screw thread were the magnito goes, i think that the con rod was a bit bent aswell , and it might of been made a bit worse by me smashing its brains out, to get off the crank bearing that was stuck to it like it was welded on, ive orderd a used stator plate of some one and it might not becoming bcos ive got a bad feeling about it,they have never anserd the phone since me paying them 40 pounds and it still hasnt been deliverd. i put in a new bearing seal on magnito side and forgot to oil underneath it first so took it out and split it, and i waited 5 days for that to come already and then broke it,

war child

Jan 4, 2009
what ive done right, heated engine case up and put in new crank bearings, got conrod recondishoned and a new internal thread put on end so i can screw in a bolt, got a new oil seal for the magnito side bearing i broke, cleaned and re oiled etherything realy well, took the crank and two halves to get pressed back together by a bike shop, thats were im upto now, the problem is the shop put the crank in the two halves and used yamabond, and put in 4 bolts while i get home and replace the bolts fot the engine ones, that was two days ago bcos my brother has locked me out and gone to see hisfreind, i can get in tomorow to finish it off, but what about the engine its been sealed with bolts that need to come out, i dont want to take them out and split the seal, could this happen, thanks

war child

Jan 4, 2009
me breaking things was part of a learning curve, not just ignorance, and bad tradesmanship, it realy was very hard doing this with out the propper tools, i had good tools but the bike shop has tools that make doing it a doddle,tools that are made for there own porpose, but at least i tried, will taking the engine bolts out of a newly sealed case , and changing them cause damage to the seal,

Top Bottom