MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
In preparation for a race last weekend, I prepped two air filters with NoToil oil. One (Twin Air) went in the YZ250F, the other (stock) in a zip-lock bag all oiled and ready to go, just in case.

Last night I wanted to change the filter in my WR400, and went to the one in the plastic bag. Youza!! The glue holding the outer course filter on the inner core was pretty much gone, and the foam pieces were of course falling apart.

I've done this before, and didnt' have this problem. However, I did have the glue loosen up once. I got the smart idea to use hot water for the Notoil cleaner - bad move! The glue melted. After the filter cooled however, the glue went back together and it worked fine (no, it wasn't this particular filter)

Anyone else experience this? All I can say is be careful!

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Yep, Yamaha cheaped out with the stock filter and used really crappy glue, so did Honda and Kawasak. and so did UNI. Twinair and the notoil filters work just fine. I usually toss the stock filters on all my bike, so it is no big deal, the benefits of easy filter cleaning makes up for the ruined stock filters.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Years ago I had one fall apart when I cleaned it in hot soapy water. Hot water is a definite no-no for any type of foam filter. It will also ruin paper filters in short order!:confused:

BTW Mark, you've paid your dues. Why are you still cleaning air filters when you have those two young fellars around?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Hey Badgerman! We stopped by your place an hour or so ago. Must be you guys headed north to Ranch Rudolph. We had just finished up a March of Dimes benefit ride.

You should know "young fellers" like to twist the throttle and not much else!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Mark,

No toil dissolved the glue on both my WR4 and KTM twin air filters. Not right away, but over say 6 months to a year.

I called the company and they sent me 3 new filters, no charge. The owner spent some time talking with me about the quality of the products they use in their filters and how they have contacted the other filter makers about using their glue.

I still use the stuff, just get the No Toil brand filters. They make them in house per the owner. Lemme check the shop and see if I still have a WR4 filter or sold them with the bike (think the latter). It is so hot today I cannot get myself to leave the house. Did a trial yesterday evening and am still recovering. A full month away from this hell hole thickened my blood back up.

Later, Leo.

Top Bottom