zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I searched through all the Dodge threads & still have a few questions.

First question is: can we eventually change the final gearing if I find the gas mileage is worse than expected?

Second question: how reliable is the 5.9 & the 4 spd tranny w/ OD? Is it a tried & true motor, or new & unproven?

We're selling zia's Honda Odyssey minivan & replacing it with an SUV. We're looking used this time, in the sub $18k price range (looking to reduce our debt is another reason for the change). I know all about Pathfinders & Toyotas, and have typically been adamant about buying Japanese for reliability/mileage concerns. This time, though, I'm willing to take a bit of a gamble in favor of saving some dough, and feeling good about having at least one domestic brand in the driveway (So they're in bed with the Krauts, I know.... :silly: ).

We're looking at a '99 Durango 4x4 SLT with the 5.9 & 3.92 rear. Mileage will suck. But we're only getting about 15-16 in town with our van. 15 is the best I ever got with my Pathfinder, too. I'm thinking we'll get around 14-15 in town, maybe 17 freeway.

This thing only has 65k miles on it. And it has leather (a plus with kids- cleans easily), 3rd row seat (plus with our family), yet still manageable for zia to drive compared to my dad's '01 Tahoe. For a similarly equipped model from local dealerships, but with 5.2 or 4.7 engines, the asking price is upwards of our ceiling ($18k), with many above that mark. Mileage varies. Private party isn't much better. That $4k or so difference translates into roughly $70-80/month increase in monthly payments. Is it safe to assume that would make up for the increase in gas costs per month? Our family car gets about 1k per month put on, with an occasional 400 mi trip here & there.

We know the dealership well (superb reputation & many good recommendations from prior customers). It's a lease return. The asking price is $14.9k. It's just too good to pass up.

I did a search on the internet, and it seems that there's always some folks who have problems with any car. We've even had fit/finish probs with our 1 yr old Honda. My Uncle swears by Dodges. He's on his second Ram & has few problems. I'd also assume that any recall issues were taken care of during the first two years, and that anything else that comes up could be attributed to normal wear & tear.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The 5.9 is an old proven engine. It is the 360 dodge has been making and using in trucks for decades. The ram of that vintage has the same v8 so parts are plentiful.

Your mileage will be bad. low teens on a good day.

For better mileage and more truck I would say to go with the tahoe or suburban. My 98 chev pickup daily driver beats your odyssey for mpg at 16/19 or 15/17 depending on winter or summer.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Well I had an SLT 4x4 for 4 years and will say with conviction that I will NEVER own another. Okie said the same about his Dakota. It pulled great, no major mech problems but man what a POS. 13mpg at BEST, got a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 30 more HP and I get 19mpg 17 pulling the bike at 65mph.

The Durango AC was a joke and in Texas that is a big no-no. Had the AC serviced more than 4 times but it never got any better. My trannie went at 76K.. gone... outa here and the warranty ran out at 75K. Most of my miles are highway too, so I conclude the transmission just sucks. During the 1 snowy day Texas had last year I roll the driver's side window down because I had chili the night before (if ya know what I mean) and the window dropped into the door with a loud boom... Window unit shot, had to be replaced, not having the $300 bones it took to get it fixed while in the middle of my divorce the service guy at Dodge was kind enough to duct tape it in the up position at no charge, damn did I look cool. Radiator mounts broke while driving on the highway and the wind at 60mph pushed the radiator into the fan.... Not fun. Seats suck, uncomfortable and no room in the rear seat. Fuel pump went out 2nd week I had it. Gas gauge broke with in 2 months of getting it so I ran it dry and needed yet another fuel pump.

I loved the Durango for the first week... Then I wished I had my old Explorer back. My Jeep is by far the best SUV I have owned thus far. I can recommend to you an Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee but would not recommend the Durango for anything other than the scrap yard. I have heard some say they really like them, this was just my opinion.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Zio,

More of the same story here.  I just turned in my '00 4x4 SLT.  We didn't have as many issues as Thump, in fact, surprisingly, we had few issues.  But, lots of what Thump said was true for us too.  I routinely had to have window motors replaced.

Gas mileage sux.  12 at best around town, 15.5 on the interstate.  That's with the 5.9 litre, and I'm not sure what rear end gear.

Other than that, we didn't have too many problems.  We live in Alabama so we know what good AC is supposed to feel like, fortunately, we never had issues with the AC, but we bailed on the Vehicle last fall and only drove it 44K.  Sounds like above 50K the thing really starts to fall apart.

My dad just retired from Daimler Chrysler.  He worked on the Jeep team.  I would echo Thump's sentiments about the Grand Cherokee.  More people are satisfied with them than aren't.  Only downside for some is there's no 3rd seat option in the GC.

Good luck car shopping.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
2001 Jeep GCL here... love it. 14 mpg is average around town. (Probably cause Scooter always has her foot in it)
HATED the Dakota. Was VERY happy when that lease was over.
Rich R. Loves his Dakota.

Good luck.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
My dad has a '96 SLT with the 360. He doesn't complain about milage so I don't think it's bad. He hasn't had any trouble with it at all. Its got the automatic with over drive. He has pulled a 27' travel trailer all over with no troubles at all. I don't know why all of you seem to have trouble with yours. His air conditioner works great and he hasn't had any problems at all besides a light bulb going out a month or two ago. My friends mom has a '98 Durango and hasnt had a single problem with it either. Its also got the V8 automatic.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
My dad has a '96 SLT with the 360. He doesn't complain about milage so I don't think it's bad. He hasn't had any trouble with it at all. Its got the automatic with over drive. He has pulled a 27' travel trailer all over with no troubles at all. I don't know why all of you seem to have trouble with yours. His air conditioner works great and he hasn't had any problems at all besides a light bulb going out a month or two ago. My friends mom has a '98 Durango and hasnt had a single problem with it either. Its also got the V8 automatic. My grandfather has had the same Dodge truck for 10 years and it still runs like new. I think you guys are either hard on trucks, dont know how to take care of them, or just got a lemon.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
My inlaws had one for less than a year.  They bought it new and hated it.  Poor gas mileage, as mentioned above, plus they weren't impressed with the ride, and they said the seats were giving them back problems.  I drove it to Arkansas once.  I liked it.  I was impressed with how it handled and drove.  But I wasn't paying for the gas...

I know of one other couple that had a Durango.  I think 13 mpg was the best they got.  They sold it and now have a Trailblazer.

Depending on what rearend Dodge puts in the Durango, you might be able to find higher ring and pinion gear sets.  But then you'll have to get the speedo drive to fit the gear and recalibrate any computer operated sensors such as on-dash odometers or gas mileage displays.  It wouldn't be worth it, imo.

If you're looking for a good vehicle on a budget....have you ever thought about buying a rebuild.  That's all I'll own from now on.  We just bought a 2002 Chrysler Sebring sedan w/5000 miles, loaded for $9950 (they sell new for $21,000).  The car was hit light in the rear...didn't get into the susp. or rear doors, just trunk and back glass(but was considered totalled).  Of course there's no warranty, but I can live with that.  If you buy from the right people you can get a lot of vehicle for very little $$.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I'm starting to have second thoughts now. I'm having a mechanic buddy go with me to look it over. Problem is I liked the way it drove. Refinement was lower than my current Toyota pickup & Honda van. But I expected that. And when I took it home for zia to look at, she loved it.

I still have a few other SUVs to drive. One is the full-size Montero, the other is a Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo). zia likes the way the full-size Montero's look. It's an '01 for under $18k, and the Passport is a loaded '99 with low miles for $14k.

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
had a 92 dakota (same drivetrain) that needed a waterpump at 104,000. thats it. perfect otherwise. bought a 01 with the new 4.7. easy 20 on the highway and 17 in town. lost both upper ball joints at 17000. bad seats. have lost faith in the new 5 speed trans. no problems, it just does not feel right. pitting the for sale sign on this weekend.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
Have a serious look at the Jeep GCL. I have a 99, the first year for the new body style and 4.7l engine. The thing has been bullet proof. 85,000 Kilometers on it now. I tested the lot, 4runner, Durango, Rodeo, Pathfinder, hard to beat the Jeep GCL for bang for the buck, tows my 7x12 enclosed w/ 3 bikes/gear exellent as well. Reasonable fuel economy if you keep your foot out of it.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We just sold our first, a 98, it had the 5.9 motor. It started having tranny problems around 100k. We bought a low mileage 99 equiped like the one your looking at except for it has a 5.2?? for around 19K. My wife wouldn't have anything else. We love the third seat. Jeeps do not have near the room or comfort inside as the Dodge. Pulls the boat or trailer with bikes great.

A friend had transmission trouble with his, so I assume this is the week spot of them. Fuel mileage is also not the best.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
I have heard of the Dakota having durability concerns......but In many cases its not the truck fault.....many cases it is. Check your ball joints, and have a careful look at the trans(watch for slipping, etc) last gen. dodges had a problem with trans's but Ive only seen it a problem in extreme use conditions.
Remeber, the Dakota/durango is more truck than car. Many of the other options you are considering are car-based and have many attributes of jsut that-a car. Your durango comes with v-8 power. a solid body-on frame construction, and a rear leaf spring suspension. It is heavy, solid, and the motor is bullet-proof (its been around since the 60's).
My experience driving them to and from the hitch shop to install towing packages on them has been good. I liked the power, and handling. The drivetrain pulls a load well. The Interior, with its storage in fthe floor of the rear seat is utilitarian and purposeful. IMO its the perfect mix of size and strength. I wish I had one, especially with that tne inches of snow we just had.
to change your gearing you would need to do both axles. and use someting like a hypertech programmer to change the gearing in the computer(try a trans or hop-0up show for one). You may also need to change the size of the drive gear for the speedo.
Good luck in whatever you decide

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My mom has a 99 Durango w/30,000 miles on it.. SO far the freeze plug at the rear of the block rotted, had too take off the transmission too fix.. Same thing happened too my Sister in-laws.. And then my Moms passenger side window motor went out.. Im not sure what her gas mileage is, so i cant tell you.. My dad was hoping she would of got a Expedition instead..
Rick

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I'm looking into the Jeeps now. Love the looks of the 99 & newer GCL's.

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
My wife has an 02' Durango and you couldn't get it away from her with a prybar. I added a K&N air filter and gained 2 mpg. I think it handles great and pulls the jet ski just fine with the 4.7L. Just remember that someone is going to have a story for every car made.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
The 5.9l engine is a very tried and trued engine,and the AOD tranny is really just a modified torqflite tranny from the old muscle car days with a 4th gear. Dodge has a reliable drivetrain, I just can't say much for the gas mileage.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Last, the rear end gears can be changed, but bigger or smaller tires would be cheaper. The read end should require the gears to be installed in the housing, and not a seperate 3rd member. But this is more common with modern cars.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom