DRZe or KLR 650 for urban commuter?

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

I've got a question for 'yall.  I'm looking for a good commuter bike for the LA area.  I'm not there yet, but I'm gonna be.  I've got a VFR 750 streetbike (actually, 2 of 'em), but I don't want to submit them to the daily grind/bumper car session of urban commuting.  One was going to be the commuter, but I want to try something new.  The other is too nice to bounce off of cars/holes daily.

I'm going to be getting rid of my '00 KDX 200 and one of the VFR's before I go.  I'd like to replace those two bikes with a single dual-sport bike.  I'm not a hard core off road rider; just trails and MO Nat'l Forest, so far.  I intend to explore some desert/trail riding, but daily/commute will be a priority.

I've got a potential trade (my KDX + $ for '00 DRZe) for a DRZe.  I like the DRZ, and have friends who give them high praise.  I'm sure this bike is capable off-road, but I'm wondering about it's on-road abilities.  Anyone experienced this area (note, it's a DRZe, not the "s" street model)?

The other choice is the 'ol stand by, the KLR 650.  I can probably go from (newish) KDX to (not-so-newish) KLR with little or no cash difference.  Prolly looking at a '96 or newer KLR, for the same grind.

Thoughts/input/suggestions?

Thanks,

Brandon

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The KLR feels like a street bike and is very comfortable there. Way less comfortable on dirt, and won't do single track worth a hoot.

The DRZ is a hooligan bike on the street and has a cheek splitter seat. Can do about anything short of trials on dirt. You make the call on what kind of compromise you want.

If you want a dirt oriented bike that handles the street really well, it is hard to beat the XR600 honda. The 650L weighs 45 pounds more, has the e-button, works very well in the dirt with a few mods. The XR6 is a superior bike if you can live without the button. Mine starts easily and reliably with kick.

KTM 640s are hooligan bikes with hard seats and mucho vibration compared to all the above.

The Suzy DR650 is about as good a street bike as the KLR but WAY better in the dirt, more along the lines of the 650L with a lower seat height. Smallish tank needs replaced with a Clarke if you want to do the distances it is comfortable at.

I had a KLR and fitted it all out, did alot of riding with it. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the DR650 and fit it out. Happy Trails makes some good adventure touring gear for it. www.happy-trail.com - check it out.

good luck! Leo.

Al E

May 26, 2000
You may want to make sure you can get a plate for an off road bike.
Some states aren't as easy as others.

I have previousley had a KLR600 would definately suggest the KLR type bike for street use, wouldn't want to try anything more than gravel roads and maybe fireroads on the KLR.

I currently of an 00 DRZE that I have dual sported, I still have the stock off road gearing on it but would be scared to take it in highway/multilane traffic.
I don't think I could keep up with the big SUV's.

May want to check out the KTM 640's, I think, they can handle the off road but you may need a more comfortable seat for longer commutes.

Al E

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Al E said:
<snip>
"I don't think I could keep up with the big SUV's."
<snip>
Dude, you got about 40 HP in that DRZ. With the right gearing it will pull 100-105 MPH.

Part of having a multi-use vehicle is keeping different gearing around and making changes as needed, depending on the ride mission. Same for tires.

My guess is your DRZ will run about 80-85 topped out with stock gearing. That is what my WR400 would do.

The KTM is a hooligan bike, no good for commuting. Lots of power, great chassis, but lots of vibration. Not bad for sporting around town but definately not a good choice for a commuting mule.

Al E

May 26, 2000
Yeah my DRZ will top out at about 80 as it is. Thinking about another set of wheels, super motard, and gearing for the bike but not sure if I want to spend the money at this time.
I was thinking more along the lines of the KTM640 LC4
http://www.ktmusa.com/modelle/model.asp?id=546

Al E

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Al - I hung around the Pikes Peak Hillclimb some this week and had one of the riders staying with me. Keep in mind these guys ride flat track, motard, road race, etc. I saw one Duke converted for the hillclimb. All the rest of the 4 strokes were YZ426/450w and CRF450s. I have not seen the results yet, but the should-be winner rides a CRF450.

The KTM 640 is a cool bike, but dated. Keep in mind they came on the scene about 1988. The current bike is evolution of that chassis and motor. I call it a 3rd gen 4 stroke and the current yammie and Hondas 5th generation. Chassis development has come a long way also.

This is not to say anything bad about the big KTMs, just understand where they fit. They use a Rally-based chassis - long, tall, and strong.

This coming from a '91 XR600 owner mind you! Cutting edge for 1983 plus a rear disk brake in 1991 added.... woHOO!!!

All in what you want to do with the bike. Owning ten right now, all I can tell ya is the perfect bike will be the NEXT one I get, never one I own.

Leo.

Al E

May 26, 2000
tex KDX
I finally went out and found a long stretch of dry pavement and you were correct, I was able to get he DRZE up to 85 MPH. Didn't really take that much but don't think it would do much more before the rev limiter would've started kicking in.
Al E

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Last labor day I did a 1,500 mile three day weekend on my KLR up in the Arkansas Ozarks. This was after 2nd gear went out in my ZX6. The bike performed flawlessly and will cruise at 80 but I keep looking for 6th gear. 75 mph is a little more relaxed. My buddy on a bandit 1200 was amazed that I could almost keep up in the twisties. It's an adventure bike, you can go almost anywhere on it just not fast. I don't go dirt riding on it locally, I go offroad exlploring far from home at a smails pace. I have KDX also and it will never replace my dirt bike. It was going to replace my ZX6. The XR or DRZ you would actually enjoy riding in the dirt with some good tires, but I wouldn't try super slab traveling on either one. It's all compromises. By the way, my KLR is up for grabs cheap :) now that I have to go through the ZX6 :( Durvy825@ev1.net.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Oh yea, my friend had an XR650L and it was much better offroad than the KLR but still a heavy pig and could actually hurt you off road with the stock tires since it had good enough suspension to gas it up off road, I still wouldn't want to travel far on the highway on it. The KLR had just enough power to superslab with the SUV's but is much batter at backroads. At the last enduro I did on my KDX I met a guy who pulled all the lights off of his DRZ and put on some good tires and rides some damn tough enduros with it. So I know the DRZ will rock offroad. Then again, I just sold my WR250F with baja designs kit, but going faster than 50 was nerve racking on the street.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Keep in mind 80 indicated on the KLR is only 73 MPH. GPS it sometime. It is off by about 8-9%. The faster you go the bigger the gap gets between indicicated and actual. Not sure about the XRLug.

I'm doing a 400 mile one day dual sport ride this Saturday here in the mountains of CO. Something like 12 high dirt passes, including the tallest ones in the state. Mainly dirt road and some pavement connectors. I'll be backing gear too, not sure if camping or not.

Bike? XR600 with a 15T front sprocket, MT21s. A friend is riding a dirt kick-only DRZ400 with a big CS sprocket. He's bungie-ing a Wal Mart back pad on the seat for more comfort.

We'll *only* do about 300 miles on the return Sunday... Should be fun!

Leo.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I've got a KLR and love it. If you want to ride to Alaska, that is the bike. Since I'm already here, then I'll use it to go to the Lower 48. A DRZ is not in the same league. However, if you want to have a street legal dirt bike that you don't have to build yourself then the DRZ is what you want. I prefer to use my KLR for street, dirt roads and easy trails and my KDX for real dirt biking.

There is no perfect bike, only compromises.

Lobster

Jan 7, 2002
I've got an 01 KLR that just turned 15k. I run a 57 mile one way commute every day. I love it for traffic, you can see over most eveything. Good at scooting lane to lane. Comfy for the long haul too, some people gripe about the seat, but it works for me. I've done a few 300 mile days on it too. The 225 mile gas tank range(before reserve) is quite welcome. I added a Supertrapp, 16 tooth front sprocket, and tall Kawasaki windshield. I also installed a Dynojet kit, but am going back to stock as all it does is make the slide more responsive and kill gas mileage! I've had it on fire roads and gravel, I've also done some woods riding. The suspension is sprung way to soft for any serious trail stuff, and power is kinda soft down low.

It'll cruise 80 with traffic(GPS verified(closed course, professional rider)) and still have...........just.......enough.......in reserve to get around the semi weaving to and fro.

I had a DR350 for my dirt bike, so I really had no use to take the KiLleR off-road except to show off my lack of ability!

Top Bottom