Rapids

Jul 24, 2001
I plan on purchasing a new F 250 or 350 (crew cab, long bed) in a few months. I would like to get the diesel but I really can't justify the extra cost so I'll probably go with the 5.4 gas motor with a manual transmission. I'm towing a 16ft. toybox trailer with 2-3 bikes usually. Anyone have any experience towing with the 5.4 motor and/or manual tranny?

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Actually, I have both a 2001 F 150 extended cab 4.6 with auto tranny and F250 CC 4x4 diesel withauto tranny and DiabloSport 60hp 140 lb/torque chip. I have only a 6x12 enclosed trailer and regularly load it with 4 bikes. I am not sure about the weight difference in 2-3 bikes in a 16 footer compared to 4 bikes in the 12 footer, but I have no problem pulling the trailer with the F150 and of course with F250 you can't even tell the trailer is back there, especially with the chip added!:aj: Not sure if this will answer your question, just stating my experience. I see no problem with the bigger gas engine you are considering as I use the smaller one regularly with out any problems. Just takes a bit longer to accelerate.

Motohead00

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I don't have any experience with the combo your looking at but I'd be a bit concerned that curb weight of the 250/350 would be too high for the 5.4/manual and not give you much left over for towing.

Brian

Rapids

Jul 24, 2001
Yeah, I guess thats what I'm most concerned about. I currently tow with an old F 150 with a 302 /4 speed and it works the motor and brakes pretty hard. A freind of mine has a new E 350 van with the 5.4/auto. He tows a 22-24ft toybox and four bikes without much drama. It seems that the auto trans is the limiting factor though. We were towing up Galena Summit in Idaho last year and he had to drop to second gear and about 25 mph for 7-9 miles.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
That's not the tranny. There's no replacement for....

You witnessed first hand what happens when you overload an engine designed for commuting. Compromises are made to get high mpg and horsepower out of an engine. Torque usually goes first and torque is what will keep you from going 25 up the pass.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I have an '02 F250 4x4, Crew Cab, Long bed with an auto trans, 4.30:1 ratio axle, and the v-10. After driving the same vehicle with the v-8, I wouldn't touch it without the v-10 or the diesel. Or without the 4.30 gears.

These trucks, with all the options I listed, weigh around 7,000 lbs. Even though the v-8 is rated to tow in these trucks, you have to calculate the weight of the vehicle, passengers, gear, and the trailer to get an actual towing figure. While you may be able to tow your trailer and some bikes, you certainly won't climb any grade without slowing considerably or revving the snot out of the 5.4. It's a good engine, just not a good fit in this particular vehicle.

For more info visit www.Ford-diesel.com and go to the gas forum or search on the 5.4. Although primarily a diesel site, there's tons of info on these trucks, the engines, trannies, and mods.

Good luck!

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I have '01 F250 crew cab 4x4 with the V10. I would seriously consider going with the V10. It cost only about $600 more than the V8, probably get about 1 or 2 less MPG, and has quite a bit more power and towing capability, it's a good engine and a good truck.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
NOOOOO! The 5.4 is ok for moving the truck but asking much more than that is looking for disappointment! I drove one when I was trying to decide between the 5.4 or 6.8 on my first Super Duty and there was NO COMPARISON. I ordered the V10 with 3:54's and it made a good commuter and great puller except I had too many clutch problems so Ford took it back. I figured I'd go for the diesel this time and can honestly say it is MORE than worth the extra money. As much better as the 6.8 was over the 5.4 the Powerstroke is 10 times greater that difference. Where I got a low of 7mpg and a high of about 12.5mpg (after all lubes were switched to synthetics & running 65 on flat Interstate) the Powerstroke has never gotten less than 15mpg when loaded to the hilt and I have seen 23mpg with 2 bikes and a bunch of gear & fuel in the bed while cruising at 75mph on the Interstate. On average I get 18.5mpg with a daily trip that's about 50/50 (city/highway). Towing doesn't impact the mileage the diesel gets nearly as much as it does the gassers. I'm pretty sure TwinSpar has a 5.4 in his F250 so you may want to check with him.

Rapids

Jul 24, 2001
Thanks for the info. I might take another look at the diesel, it is after all, the ideal engine for what I'm doing. I am/was more concerned about the extra initial cost (about 4k) and the price of diesel around here is outrageous. In no case am I going with the auto tranny, however. A buddy of mine was stranded in Sacramento a few years ago coming back from Jawbone to Oregon (new Chevy) becasuse the tranny puked. Bonehead lost the tranny in his BORROWED Ford cube van coming back from the Reno ride this year and he says the slushbox in his 00' Powerstroke is starting to act a little funny now. Patman, I haven't heard of clutch problems with the manuals, is this fairly common or did you just get a "Monday morning assembly" model?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Compare values on used fords with and without the diesel and you will find that not all of that 4000$ is lost. Also, add fuel $ savings, add a fee for the grin on your face hauling butt up a big hill with a trailer, add a fee for never having to buy spark plugs, etc. I know there are trade offs, but don't let that 4000 be the biggest. Enjoy your diesel.

Auto trannies are convenient and have always been a wear item on trucks. If you don't mind setting down your coffee to shift, then a manual has some benefits. No overheating problems, more gears to choose from, compression braking, less likely to strand you, less maintenance, BETTER mileage, usually lower cost, etc. Good call on the manual, the lady will be less likely to borrow it too.

I would say it is not common to be stranded with a fairly new truck. It happens, but it is not something me or anyone else should worry about if you perform the recommended maintenance and do not overheat the tranny, make sure you have a temp gauge. If the stock tranny cooler is not enough then get a bigger one.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There was some problems with the automatics hooked to both the diesel and the V10 but they seem to have resolved the issue for the most part. I still hear of some diesels eating them up but no V10's since the torque curve is different and the peak value is less. My V10 5 spd seemed to be a Monday morning issue. The hydraulics kept allowing the pedal to go to the floor after 2-4K miles and then the pedal would only have about 1" of working range at the bottopm of the travel. The diesels have a completly different hydraulic system and a 6 spd. The '99's and some early '00's did have clutch disc issues and some had throwout bearing problems but that seems to have been solved for the most part. Also be aware that on all F250's the 10.25 Sterling (F350 uses a Dana unit) rear end filler hole is too low to allow the axle seals to be kept moist from lube in the axle tubes so they can go out and heat buildup can be a problem as well. I added a MagHytec diff cover that doubled the capacity and raised the filler hole to keep fluid in the tubes. It also is finned aluminum, has a could magnets to get ferrous wear particles, and has a port for a temp guage. A little spendy but worth it IMO.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Patman,

Only the Dually has the Dana rear. Both the F250 and F350 have the Sterling on Single rear-wheel models. Nevertheless, your info on the housing cover was informative. I guess I'll be looking into the MagTec soon.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i have a 2000 f-150 supercab with the 5.4 & auto. it pulls my 21' travel trailer just fine, with 3 bikes in the truck & all the gear & fluids, etc. bear in mind tho that my driving is usually on flat terrain & the 150 is substantially lighter than the 250 (much less the 350). i agree with everybody else, for a 250 or 350, i'd want more motor. i thought about getting a diesel in mine but didn't for a lot of reasons, 1 of which was finding diesel fuel. is that ever a problem for you diesel guys in unfamiliar areas?

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
lawman,
With the 35 gallon tank I have ~500 mile range on the highway in my Dodge - finding fuel should never be a problem. I've had more difficulty finding restrooms....

Towing my 36ft 5th wheel my mpg drops down to 10 mpg so my range is only ~350 miles. Still more than enough, although I'm seriously considering a 54 gal replacement tank:d

Brian

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I never have problems in Texas finding fuel and have run from Texas to North Carolina ad never had problems. Same goes for running up to Dirt Week in Casey. I typically try to hit Flying J truck stops since they have fresh fuel because of the large volume they sell, clean restrooms and good food at the sit down resturants.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The diesel is available in a 3/4 ton and larger only. Also, the difference between a 3/4 and a 1 ton Ford is not much, maybe a different spring pack and rear end.

A half ton would benefit from a diesel but it would be best if the diesel was smaller. MPGs in the mid 20s and more than enough power to pull a typical half ton load, it would be nice.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I've got a 2000 F250 with the 5.4L and auto transmission (4:10 gearing). I opted for the small gasser because of the amount of commuting that I do. I have pulled a large Popup (heavy duty model, steel roof) loaded out with water, 1 bike and a bunch of gear without much difficulty. Keep in mind that this is North Texas so there isn't much in the way of big hills. The truck was able to keep up with Suburbans pulling bike trailers without too much difficulty.

I have added some performance goodies that have helped in the power and fuel economy department. I have a Superchip and a Flowmaster muffer.

I wouldn't recommend the 5.4L in a 250/350 if you are going to be doing alot of long hauls with big elevation changes (unless you like to go slow up big hills). I don't tow all that much. Most of my riding is local so the bike is loaded in the back of the truck. I went with the F250 instead of the F150 because of the benefit of better components (brakes, frame, axles) at a nominal cost increase. I'm pleased with the truck and motor combo for what I bought it for, commuting and hauling the bike in back.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We just finnished a 2300mile round trip pulling our tybox to Florida and back. Trailer weighs about 5500 (no bikes this trip :() and we got 14 MPG. Empty around home I get 20 city/21 hiway.
BTW we have we have a 2000 diesel SD 2wheel drive 6 speed.
One thing I noticed it loves eating rubber tho

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
One thing I noticed it loves eating rubber tho
BOY ain't that the truth! :eek: I'm looking in to the retrofit of some 19" commercal rims. So far it looks if the tire wear can be extended 2X then it will pay for itself in short order. The Goodyear AT/S are already past the half way point with about 18K. That's going to work out to about a set of tires every 18 months :scream: No wear issues such as alignment just fast wear from a heavy rig with lots or torque.

Top Bottom