MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I was talking to GnarlyKaw the other day and he mentioned that at a past DW a guy gave him a new tube for free. I think the guy he described was probably MichMan but it got me to thinking. I know about some great things but I wonder how many I don't even know about. Farmer John changed 12 tires for people, GSR gave some jets to somebody and loaned out many tools. Thump gave me a new rear tire. So what do you folks know that not everyone else might be privy to? Pretty awesome bunch these DRN members don't ya think!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Jeff Allen fixed a lot of bikes, and he gave me a ride to dinner on Tuesday night...Chadk01 and Bone fixed me scrambled eggs for breakfast...Mikeb fixed me sandwiches for lunch...TTRGuy grilled steaks and burgers for me for dinner...hmmm...seems to be a theme here. Oh I forgot....Jay made us those pies for eating around the camp fire. I think I gained 10 pounds at DW01. Who's going to feed me this year?

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Heck Thump gave me a quart of oil after my bike went for a swim. A lot people made me laugh for no charge.

Mike

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Oldguy hauled 80 pounds of beer all the way from WI for me, and didn't charge me enough for it. What a guy! :aj:

I got some free grips and some other stuff from Thump.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Firemedic did a fantastic job of being on the scene almost instantly after several crashes to check people out too. Jay loaned his bike to BillyWho (brave move there) for the team harescramble :) Jay also loaned me a drill and I think I got some eazy-outs from AJ along with a free tube or two. Okie sacrificed his personal power washer!

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
okie,i think, gave me a boatload of free grips, i felt guilty after taking 4 sets.somebody relieved me of ever having to ride in the woods again by buying my new,never been used, barkbusters and last, but not least, big lou came over to lift my spirirts after my last of many dnf's in the mx to inform me that "hey..i got your wreck on tape, i even held the camera on ya when you were strugling to get up...it'll be great"...super fantastic. ;)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Julius Pleaser let me ride his just washed KDX in the muddy night time poker run. I had never met the guy before.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Rich let me get high sniffing MTBE :eek:

Oldguy gave me good beer

Is there a pattern here? :)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Papakeith gave me a HUGE American flag. And not long after DW, BigLou gave me an ignition switch for the DRZ. Firemedic530 gave me a ride on his DRZ, and someone(can't remember who) gave me a ride on his Gas Gas. And just the other day, Jaybird gave me some killer chain lube he has been working on.

My problem with being around so many giving people is that it seems like I'm always on the receiving end. :ugg: I don't really have much to offer.<shrug>

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
good people..........

we could keep this thread going on and on, but after reflecting on last years DW,........ let's just face it, we are ALL GOOD PEOPLE! When you drive the distance that some of you drove, and to have a mishap riding, I am sure any one of us would do or give just about anything to our fellow rider to keep them up and running...
the mere thought of going to DW02 just brings tears to my eyes! :whiner:

QUICK, BIG GROUP HUG!!! :aj: :)
My story is a night at the camp fire, i yelled out, "anyone got a 18 tube I could buy" and i think i saw 4 or 5 hands go up, and yelled back to just come see them in the morning. Then, MichMan even changed it for me....

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Mini127 and I were given a warm welcome the first night we showed up. We arrived after dark and got set up in the slums, then walked over to the nearest campfire-gathering. We were welcomed like old friends, Adult beverages, mini beverages and some real funny riding stories. THE best long weekend trip I had taken in years. Thanks for the memories.
See ya in October, Walt

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Don't have to think too long on this one to come up with a quick list.
TreeJumper- I e-mailed him, :think: I think a week before DW01 and asking if I could camp on his front lawn. I didn't know him at all. His house just happened to be at the halfway point. He refused me camping privilages. He made me stay in the house, in a bed, with a hot shower in the morning. :)
LoriKTM and OffRoadWarrior- gave me a set of tires.
BigLou-gave me an American Flag sticker for my helmet
Those sandwich things by the campfire- Oldguy? or was it Jay?
Hot Damn!! Nuff Said! :p
Grips, gloves, lanyards, stickers, more grips,
did I mention Hot Damn!! ?
AJ made me ride one of his AF's. :aj:
TreeJumper gave me a place to stay on the way home too. :) Very cool.
After Dirtweek BigLou sent me a video of my first Motocross race

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Firemedic did a fantastic job of being on the scene almost instantly after several crashes to check people out too. Jay loaned his bike to BillyWho (brave move there) for the team harescramble :) Jay also loaned me a drill and I think I got some eazy-outs from AJ along with a free tube or two. Okie sacrificed his personal power washer!
I can't agree more. Shiftless helped me get some meds for the muscle spasms after my crash. If someone asked for something, they got it or got help finding it. Lorin got a cold :p .
Everyone needs to make the haul to the Sooner State this October and start the DW02 memories, we are going to have some (a bunch) of fun. :aj: :)

B

biglou

Originally posted by CAL
My problem with being around so many giving people is that it seems like I'm always on the receiving end. :ugg: I don't really have much to offer.<shrug>
Nonsense! Are you forgetting the helmet thing for Rick's nephew? :cool: That was an amazing thing. In the members' forum, I asked for an old helmet for a friend's nephew and had two offers within an hour or so. How cool is that?

Yanno, DW is just like having the parking lot full of your closest friends. I definitely spent more time socializing last year than riding! A better group of friends would be hard to find. Just look at all the stories so far. It's like one giant "Good Karma Festival"! :)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Papakeith
Those sandwich things by the campfire- Oldguy? or was it Jay?

I was the pie guy :)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I hate to post anything, I'm bound to forget something... SOOO many things like this happened last year (and the year before for that matter). I always know one thing for sure, if we need help with something at DW, there will be a line of people wanting to lend a hand. The generosity at DW is incredible.

I had thought about canceling DW ’01. September 11th had just changed our lives, I thought for sure the time just wasn’t right. Thankfully, everyone revolted. It was good to get away from what was going on in the world, if just for a few days.

My favorite memory of the whole deal was when we played the National Anthem each morning… there would be people all over the place, talking, working on bikes, cooking, eating breakfast, etc… when the anthem came over the track PA, it was like a freeze frame. EVERYTHING stopped. Bikes shut off, riders dismounted, helmets, hats came off, hands went over hearts and a few tears rolled-down cheeks. There were flags everywhere. Of all the things I can be proud of about this DRN thing, THAT’s number one, by a wide margin. I can’t imagine feeling more lucky to be involved in anything.

Want a little flashback? I remember searching everywhere for a version of the National Anthem that fit the atmosphere of the day; not too "peppy", not too "down". A rendition that was simple, but powerful. It may seem kinda strange to think of it that way, but... I finally came up with this one, played it for Scooter, she nealy cried. (mp3, 1.9 meg): http://dirtrider.net/dw01_na.mp3

Okay... enough of the mushy stuff. Carry on. :D

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Okie, I must agree that is the absolute best version of our national anthem I have EVER heard, got chills listening to it again. That should be played at every DW fron now on as a reminder!

Top Bottom