? How prevent bike loading up when 1st starting

msomso

Sep 17, 2001
I have a 200 YZ 250 that seems to load up alot when I firsat start it. I was having problems fouling pugs also, however, thanks to this forum, I reduced my oil:gas ratio from 50:1 to 30:1 which so far has seemed to stop the fouling.

Bike runs great 1-2 minutes postt cleanout.

Still smokes at startup. Also, litte hard starting if sitting couple days.

What causes this condition and is there a way to reduce it?

Mike

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
all two strokes load up and smoke at startup (to my knowledge at least). You might lean out your pilot circuit a little bit to get it to start easier, or try starting it without the choke and see if it starts easier.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Are you switching the fuel tap off when it sits-if not the fuel could leak past the float valve and fill up the crankcases with excess fuel.This will give problems when starting.

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
What kind of fuel are you running?? I had the same type of problem. I switched to race gas and that seemed to clearup the problem

I have run both torco 110 octane and VP MR1. they both work real well.

hope this helps...

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
I have a very similar problem with the same bike. When I try to start my bike cold, it sometimes takes up to 10 kicks, it will usually start up within 2-3 kicks when warm. However, I have no problems with fouled plugs.

I use C12 and have leaned the pilot by one and the clip is in the second from the top. Also, I do turn off the petcock anytime I am not riding.

One last thing. Sometimes it will backfire (very mildly) when trying to start it. I've never been able to find out why it is so tough to start :(

I'm always so jealous of my friends that pull up and their bikes start on the first kick--sometimes some of the guys with 4 strokes even have an easier time starting their bikes! :think

Thanks for any help.
Bill

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
have you tried doing a plug chop test on your bike?
this might help you with your troubles.

msomso

Sep 17, 2001
Bill Purcer, you went to a leaner pilot, maybe a richer pilot is the way to go to help start?

Do you use the choke?

I've been using HP2 oil in the gas.

I've also leaned the clip as you did.
I have a FMF pipe silence combo also
Other than that, bike fairly new.
Dirty power valves or silencer have anything todo wit this condition?

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
Bill Pucell,
A few more things that would make your bike hard to start:

1. an overly oiled air filter
2. dirty air filter
3. rag in the air box (oops own personal exp.):eek:
4. chipped reeds

Last edited:

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
somewhat of a mystery

My '94 CR250, after jetting, usually starts on the 3rd kick with a choke. It does tend to load up a little and has to be cleaned out some. This bike is jetted a little rich compared to my '01 which may account for the initial loading up, but has no fouling problems.
My '01, after jetting, usually starts on the first kick with NO choke. This bike is jetted leaner than the '94. Doesn't smoke much or load up after starting.
The choke should enrichen the mixture for starting, so it hasn't made much sense to me why the bike that is jetted a little richer needs a choke and the leaner bike doesn't.
They do have a totally diffent carb. and the Keihin idle/choke circuit on the '94 is very crude compared to the Mikuni on the '01.
You may play with the jetting some more and like someone else mentioned, check the reeds. I was told that the '01 Honda reeds are prone to cracking.
Don't know if this is a common problem in the YZ's.
Scott

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
Thanks for the replies everybody.

The jetting off the bottom is nice and crisp right now, so I don't want to adjust it just so it will start easier. If that is the problem, then I'll just live with it :)

I'll try starting it without the choke sometime to see if that helps. I had never thought of trying to start it cold without the choke.

I have noticed in the past that it is SUPER sensitive to reeds. One time it would not start at all and one of the reed petals had the smallest--I mean, I could barely see it--chip in one corner. I replaced the reeds and it started, after the requisite 6-10 kicks.

What could cause the backfire (for lack of a better word) that sometimes happens?

Thanks again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom