sorny

May 26, 2004
Ok, I done a search but I dunno if I just didn't know what terms to type in or if there wasn't any threads about it, but I have managed to pull the cap off of my plug wire. My bike (99 YZ 250) went ALL SUMMER on one plug, never fouled, then all of a sudden about a month ago I couldn't get it started. I figured it was my fault like I accidentally pulled the throttle open while kicking, so I put a plug in. Started but it was in the garage so I cut it off immediately and then I couldn't start it after that. Tried another plug a few days later, it wouldn't start, plug was soaked in gas. Another plug, same thing, another plug, finally fired but again I didn't expect it to start so it was in my storage building so I killed it and rolled it out and then I couldn't start it then. 2 more plugs was wasted yesterday, both soaked in gas when I pulled them.

So I was trying to check for spark when I somehow pulled my plug wire end off of the wire. I looked down in there and it looks like a screw inside with threads and stuff, but was all brown and kind of rusty. So is that how it goes back on (although I'm going to get a new one I guess), just screw it on the plug wire and the "screw" inside goes up in the wire and makes a connection? I'd never seen a plug wire like that so I just thought it was kind of wierd. I assumed since the other end of the wire was hardwired into the coil that I just had to buy the whole assembly and couldn't even get an end cap until I started looking around on Yamaha's parts catalog.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
yes many plug caps are like this, i usually find them on older bikes off and since i have soo many i can just screw anoter on the wire. sometimes if the dont stay on just screw it on as much as you can and then use electrical tape to give it extra strength. also make sure it is pushed on the plug all the way or you won't get a very good spark to burn the "excess" fuel. :cool:

Top Bottom