Jrod1994

Nov 22, 2004
Our 10 yr old son broke his femur bone on Sat Nov 13th.Overjumped and landed on back tire.Handledbars lashed back and got his leg which caused the break.We need your prayers,xrays show the bone isnt aligned right even with the 2 rods .Doc says its suposed to look like that.Hes went through alot.Crashed bike,missing out on the basketball season.No school.Hes actually upset about that!Hes home now after a week at the hosp.We dont want him to go through another surgery.Hes been though so much.He wants to ride again.Hes been riding since he was five.Anyone been through this?Any feedback is welcome,along with prayers.Thanks Alot

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Welcome to DRN, this is probably going to get moved to the Injury/Training forum. We are currently going through rehab with my son who broke his right femur on Oct 1st. I can empathize with your son as my son has missed hockey season the last two years with a leg injury late in his race season. Kid's are resilient and he'll be back up and running in no time! Good Luck :cool:

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son. Last year, my 7 year old, (now 8), broke his tibia and fibia then re-broke it again about 5 months later. Up until that point, we lived for MX. After the re-break, I sat back and took stock on things. I came to the realization that I was living vicariously through my son and pushing him too hard. I take full responsibility for the breaks. On a positive note, during the extensive time in plaster, my son found a real love for reading. He's now in the gifted and talented program at school and excels in the accelerated reading program. I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason.

On the flip side, Dec 26 will mark the 1 year mark for the second break. I've committed to begin talks with him at this time for potentially riding again. He's told me that if I don't allow him to ride again he'll run away. Yea right. :)

So with all this said, I'm very sorry to hear that you and your son are going through this. But he will heal and be OK. And in the meantime, something positive will happen. I'm sure of it. :cool:

Jrod1994

Nov 22, 2004
Hey thanks for the support !!We went to a second doc today and he said the xrays" looked next to perfect"It was a two hour drive but well worth the trip.We have a long slow road ahead of us but I think we'll get through ok.Keep Riding BUT, look out for them handlebars!

Brad70

Aug 28, 2004
Well not as a parent, but as a child I went though the same thing. I was 11 and broke my tib and fib after only the first few weeks of riding and racing. I was trying to do too much, as far as jumping goes and wanted to be good like the other kids. I was in the hospital for a week also, then went though what seemed like another year of the external fixator and casts, and finally physical thearpy. My parents sold my motocross stuff and only now (im now 18) have I bought my own bike (99 yz 125) and started to pratice and last week I did my first race (or second if you count the one when I was 11) and I placed second. I regreat that I didnt put up a fight when they were selling everything, but who knows mabey if they didnt something worse could have happened. Anyways, i am getting a little side tracked, just stress when he gets back on the bike to take it easy and also point out that a fast racer is only as good as his cornering ablities and whoops. The Jumps I think should be an after thought.
Thats my 2 cents,
Bradley

marcvigil

Nov 24, 2004
sorry to hear about the injury. I broke my left femur about 3 years ago. I just rebuilt my top end, but jetted it too rich, it ended up fouling the plug in the air on a jump. I went over the bars, unfortunately the bike followed me and landed on my leg. I was 24 at the time and was in the hospital for a week. The doc put a rod in and screws at top and bottom of femur. I have since had the screws removed. I was on crutches for awhile and had to learn to walk again. It was hard but a blessing as well. God got my attention, soon after I received Christ. I still ride, but I try to stay focused on Him. You guys will be in my prayers.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I can't say that I've ever been in your shoes. The femur is the strongest bone in your body. It amazes me how people will break just their femur. Kids are quick healers. If he wants to get back on the dirtbike now, broken femur and all, I'd say he has some good qualities. A lot of parents would tell their kids they couldn't ride any more. In my opinion, this only teaches the kid to be a quitter. Not just at riding a dirtbike, but at life in general. Encourage him to not let anything stop him, but to take it easy at the same time and not ride beyond his limits! I'd say you have a great opportunity to teach your child some life lessons here as well! Matt

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
KC10Chief said:
It amazes me how people will break just their femur.

I feel pretty certain that major knee damage would have accompanied the femur break had my son not been wearing his Asterisk knee braces.

Jrod1994

Nov 22, 2004
Thanks for all thoughts and prayers

Well its been almost three months since the accident. He is walking around without crutches and plans to play baseball and competing again this spring.As a parent the decision to let him continue riding comes from my heart.I also have a five yr old who will start riding this year.We live for our kids and to put them in harms way would devastate us,but we cant stop them.We have the lord in our hearts and hope and pray that he is looking over them when they ride.Im touched by all the responses weve had and thank all who showed interest in our sons healing.Ride On!!!

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Glad to hear is coming along, my son just got to ditch his crutches a few weeks ago as well. The decision to let them ride again is a difficult one for any parent.

Jrod1994

Nov 22, 2004
This is mom here.We are having a bit of a debate.This accident has changed me a lil bit about wanting to let my boys continue riding.Ive done some research and it seems to me that broken bones come with riding,no matter how good you are accidents happen.My husband says its like falling off a horse you have to get back on.But I feel like its my responsibility to keep them safe.The one that broke his femor is all about getting back on the bike.No if ands or buts about it.Doc said by August he could pry ride.Thats when its gonna get ugly around here.I havent said much about it yet ,why stir the beans when we still have 6 mths left but the anxiety is setting in already.Its one against three(the boys and dad).I need some good advise!!Any other moms or dads out there feel the same?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I understand your feelings well. My son has broken his leg two seasons in a row. We have had many family discussions about racing and it always comes down to my son is not prepared to quit so to stop him I would have to forbid him to ride. My son is a bit older (15) so I've talked to him about all the potential risks involved with the sport and he is still willing to accept those risks. As a parent we try to supply the best protective equipment available and get him as much riding training as possible to try to keep him safe. We try to stress learning how to go faster safely instead of just grabbing a handful of throttle and hoping for the best, I'm hopeul it is something that will have an affect on him. Bottomline for me is he loves the sport and I see many good aspects of the sport for children that I'm not prepared to make him stop at this time. The first broken leg he shared his hospital room with another boy with the same injury from playing football. We can't keep them sheltered from all potential injuries or they will have never experienced so many of the things that make childhood great. I wish you all the best with your decisions and for a safe season should you allow him to return.

Jrod1994

Nov 22, 2004
Moms Turn!!Let him ride or not?

Hi All,thanks for your thoughts, prayers and wishes.Hes doing real good now.We go back in March to get the rods out .Doc says he can ride in aug. already freaking out inside.I wasnt raised around the riding and racing to where my husband was.He rides.I dont.Ive always been supportive,with the kids too,but after a broken femur,Im scared.They are GOOD! But never thought it would happen to one of mine.Then it did .Now Im not sure as a parent that its the right decision.Its my responsibility to keep them safe.I havent put up much of a fight yet,its really is a losing battle,but come Aug. it will get ugly aroung here.Maybe its cause of the way I found out about the broken leg.We were on our way to go shopping and came upon an ambulance by where they sometimes go ride,thought to be on the safe side we should follow and see who gets out,the amb. came and one person rolled out on a stetcher,ok were safe cause if it was my hubby or son,the other would of gotten out too.Put the van in reverse all of a sudden here comes my hubby flying down the ER ramp on his bike.OMG I new then it was my son,but didnt know what was wrong.The few mins. it took me to find them in the ER was the scariest EVER!All I could do is pray at the top of my lungs please God dont let anything bad happen to my baby(whos 10).Im really sacred to let him ride again!!I need some good advice!Will I ever get over this?

travis712

Feb 12, 2005
I think if you don't let him ride, he will miss out on so much. He needs a hobby besides reading. Scars heal, so don't bones. He will remember the good, not all the bad. He will teach his kids(your grand kids) proper riding technique and such, so it is good for the hole family. Hope you let him ride..

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
My 5 year old daughter broke her arm at recess the first week of kindergarten this year. It was a bad break, and she missed the entire figure skating season. Once the panic and anger at the school monitors faded, we had to assess the situation; there is no way to keep kids 100% injury free.

In fact, (and here comes the editorial) the best protection you can give them is from psychological bombardment (T.V., magazines, internet, peers, sometimes even teachers or relatives). That kind of stuff doesn't show up on any X-Rays or CAT scans. And if anyone gives you the old "well, you can't shield them from everything" Liberal response, just smile and walk away. T.V. already got to them.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Our family has been riding for about 5 years or so. I (Dad) am the only one to get hurt badly (broken ribs and dilocated shoulder)so far. Thank goodness. My comment here is that as my oldest son is 15 now and playing high school sports. There are many kids with knee injurys, broken wrists, arms and one kid even broke his hip playing soccer. I guess my point here is that you can get injured doing most any sport. The most important part is to wear proper saftey gear and stay in your comfort level. Also that the child is aware of possible things that can happen to them. It is a sign of maturity when they accept this risk also.
How is your son dealing with the recovery process?
There is no right or wrong answer because we cant see into the future.
Good luck sorting things out, Walt

Jrod1994

Nov 22, 2004
Thanks Chili,Travis.Detonator,and Walt,it really helps hearing about others situations.Im still nervous when I think about him climbing on that bike again though.Walt,you wanted to know how he is taking the recovery process,well at 1st he was in so much pain that he cried and slept alot,the first night we stayed up all night hitting his morphine button for him.After the surg. he was depressed knowing that riding was over for a long time,sports were out,and missed 6 wks of school.By the time we left the hosp.he was smiling.He was home with me and every day improved.At times he would get totally p-oed.For the most part he has handled this with stride.He was never into girls before cause he never had time for that.NOW OMG my phone rings non stop from girls.He has a girlfriend now.He wants to bathe, get haircuts,all the things I used to have to fight him to do ,he does now with no prob.(gotta look good for the gals)He cant wait to ride though.He sat on the bike about a week ago,then tried starting it,but the plugs are pulled out,so it wouldnt start(thank heavens).Im the opposite.Im ok with sports cause there isnt a motor on a baseball!I know I cant keep him off the bike.Dad wouldnt let that happen.I dont want it to cause any probs. between us.But were talking about my baby!!!!!!Im trying to except it but its tough.I will continue reading the forums.Im trying.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
It will always be hard, when my son hits the line I hold my breath on the starts until they are through the 1st turn it seems. As parents we will always worry but I always try my best not to let my son see my worries.

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
Jrod1994,

I'm a parent of two wonderful kids and would hate for anything to happen to them. Mine are young compared to yours but they will be growing up fast. My daughter is 2 yrs old and son is 6 months old. One of these days I hope they will enjoy riding with their dad. The only thing we can do as parents is be supportive in their activities and provide protective equipment for whatever sport they choose.

Like the others have said, you can get hurt in any sport. When I was 5 years old, my mom bought me some roller skates... the old-fashioned kind with metal wheels that strap on to your shoes. Anyways, I had them on about 10 minutes and tripped over a crack in the sidewalk. The skate came down and hit my leg which broke it several spots. Talk about a stupid accident! I still have the cast as a momento. The point is, my mom could have sheltered me from all sports and playing... but she chose the right thing to do. She let me grow up doing any activity that I wanted which included skateboarding, snowboarding, dirt bikes, and mountain bikes. Sure, I had plenty of accidents, but all my wounds healed just fine and I have lived a wonderful life.

Please let your children grow up doing activities that they enjoy! Life is too short and precious to be overly protective. Here's something to think about... at any given moment, the world around us can take away a precious life (such as car crash, terminal illness, natural disaster, etc.). It would be sad to miss out on the good things in life because of risks like broken bones or cuts that can heal themselves.

Last edited:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I also support letting them ride if that is what THEY want to do. As a parent supply the best possible safety equipment you can and have them learn the correct way to ride and get faster.
My son (16 yrs now) has been racing for 5 seasons now and there is no way he would willingly quit or be forced to quit at this time. What he gets out of the sport far exceeds the fears I hold. Yes he could get seriously hurt riding but so could he playing football or just driving the car to school (altho I am sure he would willingly bypass the school part).
We have had relatively minor injuries thru the years altho no season has gone injury free. In one year (2002) he broke his right arm in january snowboarding (he is a ski snowboard instructor). In May or June broke his collarbone and had a concussion racing MX. Then to top it off in December broke both arms at once again snowboarding (one week after I had knee reconstruction from a MX injury at DW). Would he quit either snowboarding/ skiing and MX due to these injuries- he never even considerred it. It has emphasised to him that he needs to be in top physical condition and now he is on strict weight lifting and running routines that I never would have kept up with at his age.
I like Chili dread starts at races because he hasn't masterred starts and I worry until the bikes spread out and he can begin riding his style thru the other bikes. My stomach does flip flops every race start would I force him to quit- never.
Your questioning the sanity and safety of MX is normal for any parent (I have had the mother of our top A rider in our district tell my wife that after 15 years of racing she still can not watch starts and worries about her little boy.
Let him decide at his own pace what he wants to do and support him

Top Bottom