Jumping: scared, HELP!

:( I am 11 years old and I own a 2001 Honda XR100R. I have a fear of jumping. What I am afraid of is going fast up the jumps. I'm afraid I'll go to fast and do something wrong and majorly hurt myself. Please, can you give me some advice??? Thanks a lot!
~Josh

P.S.p ( I am LawndartD's son.) :)

sounds backwards but a little bit bigger jumps are easier...find some table tops (Won't have to worry about coming up short). Get used to the bike... :D

Josh, in my opinion you shouldn't start on very small jumps, or large ones either. Stick to something midsized. Start slow and keep a constant speed up the jump, and when you get the bike into the air then let off the throttle. If you let off the throttle while leaving the jump you will land on your front tire. Very scary.:scream: If you keep the gas on too long while in the air you might land on your back tire. Not as scary.:confused: Start out slow and increase your speed every time you hit the jump. Just don't go too fast too soon.

I'm almost 22 years old and I have a fear of jumping. I have found the trick is to have your friends make fun of you till your finally hit the jump and get some confidence. After the first one I feel a lot better and even try to get more than a couple feet of air.;) Do stay awa from the small jumps. They are much more difficult to do well. A nice table top will stir up all kind of confidence. One more thing, walk that jump so you can see how much smller it is than when you are on the bike. Hope this helps. Keep working on it before you know it you'll be making us late starters look bad.:)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Josh, I wouldn't worry about the jumps too much. As Wardy would tell you, time is made on the ground.

While the XR doesn't jump well, it is great to learn on for turns.

Start off on little jumps and get comfortable with wheelies, and having your wheels off the ground. I just used to hit smaller bumps and got the hang of it. Now I'm hitting 10 foot or 15 foot jumps. Now, if I hit a bump and find myself off the ground, I can control where I go. Also, wheelies used to scare me, so when I jumped I got scared. I can do wheelies, and found jumping all the more easier. Get used to having your wheels off the ground.

And not to forget, do grip the bike with your knees when you jump. It helps you 'feel' and allow better control of the bike. :cool:

MX Mac

Subscriber
Josh, Take it slow, and keep your body centered in front of the foot pegs. Steady on the throttle until your back tire leaves the ground. Enjoy!:eek:

The way i went from 20 foot rythmn sized (but they are actually doubles, just the size of the rythmn jumps at a track) jumps at a bootleg backwoods track to the 5o foot doubles and tabletops was simple. Follow a guy who looks good but you can keep up with, and go the same speed as him and go off the jump. Let off the gas as soon as your in the air and grip the bike with your lower legs. I now have to master the most technical part of MX railing turns steeper then a 600 supersport. I saw a VPE sponsored rider going thru a berm with his footpegs scraping the crown of the 6 inch rut. Thats where you can really make up time on people.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Who isn't scared of jumping something? We all have our limitations. The idea is to increase our limitations. They are correct earlier in saying stay away from small as well as huge jumps. Start with medium sized tables and then work to rolling (as opposed to peaked) doubles. You wil find as you can clear these, then you can start considering the larger ones. I am getting back into riding this year after being away for 12 years. It looks like the jumps have grown. I feel like I am starting all over again. There are some doubles at some local tracks that I won't touch right now because I have not cleared a 60 foot table yet. Once that happens then I'll move on. I keep telling myself "I know I must be crazy, but I think I used to be able to clear these things." Like yourself, I just need to work up to it. Good luck. It'll get easier. We're all in the same boat. :)

Andy

youll do fine ,,,,,but i got a ?????? for you ( your wearing gear arnt ya )
i found my spills happened when i got alittle to cockey!!
just when you think you got it all figured out your laying on the ground
looking around and wondering where am i ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and hope nobody seen that!!
good luck

Learn bike control FIRST

Josh

I have two sons (12 & 14) that started riding last year on XR100's. They now ride CR80's and are getting better every week.

If you are a new rider, learn to ride the bike well in various track conditions first. Bike control is an important step to jumping the bike. Learn how to use all five (yes there are five) controls together. Practice gripping the bike with your legs/knees for a better feel.

Don't try to learn everything at once. Practice ONE new thing at a time and practice it until you do it well then move on to the next.

Now... I too am a bit scared of jumping and I'm 49 years old. I think this is because I started riding my CR250 last year and tried jumping BEFORE I really had good control over the bike and crashed hard twice in a month. That put a damper in my confidence but I'm getting better as time goes on.

So... Start off learning bike control. Jumping is just an extension of that control later on.

Want so see my kids web pages?
Click their names below.
Matt Age-14
Ryan Age-12

Good Luck!

CR250John--I am gald to see a 40 yearold like me with the same thoughts. I just bought a 2001YZ250 and havent rode since my teens (bultaco250/TM400) man the jumps scare the @#&^ out of me-if my bike could talk it would be splitting a gut. Is there any MX schools around the Iowa region that would offer a class on jumping for dummies. I am too old to race just want to learn better bike and jumping control.

dperyman

There was a poll on DRN a while back asking the age of current riders.
The result was a LOT of users on DRN are in their 30's & 40's so we are not alone.
Don't you wish we could ride like Mike Brown or Mike Larocco? I think they are in their mid 30's

Since I'm not from the Iowa area, I don't know of any local MX schools.
Maybe we can get some other local Iowa riders to help out!

Good luck on your riding!

Got a late start!

Hey Josh, I am 33 yrs old and never even rode a dirt bike till about 6 months ago!! I bought an old 1987 KDX 200...I quickly started riding more aggressively and soon decided i needed a new KDX 200! Any way to make a long story short, I raced in my first Hare scramble three weks ago and had a blast...Right up untill I lost it and broke two bones in my foot...It all scares me now !!!!! Jumps, deep sand, high speeds.. Just keep practicing, look at the good riders and emulate them. The successful riders are easy to recognize ( They are the ones in front) Watch them and see how they practice. how they ride!..Most of all becareful!....I desperately need help with all my riding techniques...Can't wait to get this cast off!

Neal
TCHSS
L-14:eek: