XR100Josh

Jun 2, 2001
:( I am 11 years old and I own a 2001 Honda XR100R. I have a fear of jumping. What I am afraid of is going fast up the jumps. I'm afraid I'll go to fast and do something wrong and majorly hurt myself. Please, can you give me some advice??? Thanks a lot!
~Josh

P.S.p ( I am LawndartD's son.) :)

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
sounds backwards but a little bit bigger jumps are easier...find some table tops (Won't have to worry about coming up short). Get used to the bike... :D

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
Josh, in my opinion you shouldn't start on very small jumps, or large ones either. Stick to something midsized. Start slow and keep a constant speed up the jump, and when you get the bike into the air then let off the throttle. If you let off the throttle while leaving the jump you will land on your front tire. Very scary.:scream: If you keep the gas on too long while in the air you might land on your back tire. Not as scary.:confused: Start out slow and increase your speed every time you hit the jump. Just don't go too fast too soon.

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
I'm almost 22 years old and I have a fear of jumping. I have found the trick is to have your friends make fun of you till your finally hit the jump and get some confidence. After the first one I feel a lot better and even try to get more than a couple feet of air.;) Do stay awa from the small jumps. They are much more difficult to do well. A nice table top will stir up all kind of confidence. One more thing, walk that jump so you can see how much smller it is than when you are on the bike. Hope this helps. Keep working on it before you know it you'll be making us late starters look bad.:)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Josh, I wouldn't worry about the jumps too much. As Wardy would tell you, time is made on the ground.

While the XR doesn't jump well, it is great to learn on for turns.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Start off on little jumps and get comfortable with wheelies, and having your wheels off the ground. I just used to hit smaller bumps and got the hang of it. Now I'm hitting 10 foot or 15 foot jumps. Now, if I hit a bump and find myself off the ground, I can control where I go. Also, wheelies used to scare me, so when I jumped I got scared. I can do wheelies, and found jumping all the more easier. Get used to having your wheels off the ground.

TS2DR4

Jun 7, 2001
And not to forget, do grip the bike with your knees when you jump. It helps you 'feel' and allow better control of the bike. :cool:

MX Mac

~SPONSOR~
May 18, 2001
Josh, Take it slow, and keep your body centered in front of the foot pegs. Steady on the throttle until your back tire leaves the ground. Enjoy!:eek:

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
The way i went from 20 foot rythmn sized (but they are actually doubles, just the size of the rythmn jumps at a track) jumps at a bootleg backwoods track to the 5o foot doubles and tabletops was simple. Follow a guy who looks good but you can keep up with, and go the same speed as him and go off the jump. Let off the gas as soon as your in the air and grip the bike with your lower legs. I now have to master the most technical part of MX railing turns steeper then a 600 supersport. I saw a VPE sponsored rider going thru a berm with his footpegs scraping the crown of the 6 inch rut. Thats where you can really make up time on people.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Who isn't scared of jumping something? We all have our limitations. The idea is to increase our limitations. They are correct earlier in saying stay away from small as well as huge jumps. Start with medium sized tables and then work to rolling (as opposed to peaked) doubles. You wil find as you can clear these, then you can start considering the larger ones. I am getting back into riding this year after being away for 12 years. It looks like the jumps have grown. I feel like I am starting all over again. There are some doubles at some local tracks that I won't touch right now because I have not cleared a 60 foot table yet. Once that happens then I'll move on. I keep telling myself "I know I must be crazy, but I think I used to be able to clear these things." Like yourself, I just need to work up to it. Good luck. It'll get easier. We're all in the same boat. :)

Andy

itsamelee

May 21, 2001
youll do fine ,,,,,but i got a ?????? for you ( your wearing gear arnt ya )
i found my spills happened when i got alittle to cockey!!
just when you think you got it all figured out your laying on the ground
looking around and wondering where am i ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and hope nobody seen that!!
good luck

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Learn bike control FIRST

Josh

I have two sons (12 & 14) that started riding last year on XR100's. They now ride CR80's and are getting better every week.

If you are a new rider, learn to ride the bike well in various track conditions first. Bike control is an important step to jumping the bike. Learn how to use all five (yes there are five) controls together. Practice gripping the bike with your legs/knees for a better feel.

Don't try to learn everything at once. Practice ONE new thing at a time and practice it until you do it well then move on to the next.

Now... I too am a bit scared of jumping and I'm 49 years old. I think this is because I started riding my CR250 last year and tried jumping BEFORE I really had good control over the bike and crashed hard twice in a month. That put a damper in my confidence but I'm getting better as time goes on.

So... Start off learning bike control. Jumping is just an extension of that control later on.

Want so see my kids web pages?
Click their names below.
Matt Age-14
Ryan Age-12

Good Luck!

dperyman

Nov 25, 2000
CR250John--I am gald to see a 40 yearold like me with the same thoughts. I just bought a 2001YZ250 and havent rode since my teens (bultaco250/TM400) man the jumps scare the @#&^ out of me-if my bike could talk it would be splitting a gut. Is there any MX schools around the Iowa region that would offer a class on jumping for dummies. I am too old to race just want to learn better bike and jumping control.

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
dperyman

There was a poll on DRN a while back asking the age of current riders.
The result was a LOT of users on DRN are in their 30's & 40's so we are not alone.
Don't you wish we could ride like Mike Brown or Mike Larocco? I think they are in their mid 30's

Since I'm not from the Iowa area, I don't know of any local MX schools.
Maybe we can get some other local Iowa riders to help out!

Good luck on your riding!

RADMAN

Jun 20, 2001
Got a late start!

Hey Josh, I am 33 yrs old and never even rode a dirt bike till about 6 months ago!! I bought an old 1987 KDX 200...I quickly started riding more aggressively and soon decided i needed a new KDX 200! Any way to make a long story short, I raced in my first Hare scramble three weks ago and had a blast...Right up untill I lost it and broke two bones in my foot...It all scares me now !!!!! Jumps, deep sand, high speeds.. Just keep practicing, look at the good riders and emulate them. The successful riders are easy to recognize ( They are the ones in front) Watch them and see how they practice. how they ride!..Most of all becareful!....I desperately need help with all my riding techniques...Can't wait to get this cast off!

Neal
TCHSS
L-14:eek:

MarksCR250

Jun 21, 2001
I've only been riding for a couple of months but I noticed right away that the local practice track is full of steep ramp double jumps that follow right after berm turns. You know, sometimes you just have to give yourself time to learn. There was a 9yr old kid there who'd been racing for a few years already (not counting the time off recovering from a bone that was broken during a race) and I watched this little guy take a 50ft double, amoung others, time after time without any serious mistakes. So I had to watch a 9yr old doing things I still havent tried yet! I'm still working on berms:

bigberm1.jpg

woodsRider69

Aug 7, 2003
i have a xr100 and my friend has a blaster. when ever he comes over we make 5-6 foot ramps without a landing(we're working on the landng next and improving the ramps) well anyways when ever i land on it i bottom out the stupid piece.....that is why i am currently looking for a kx125

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I'm like you all, only I started back on a vintage bike after 31 years. Finally got tired of watching my 16 year old son have a blast landing off jumps. Bought a YZ and had to learn to ride all over again. Keeps the old man in shape and enjoy riding probably more now. (Cause I can fix it myself now. And can afford to buy parts now.) Plus these new suspensions are extreeeemlly more forgiving than even the old monoshockers.

BTW I'm 49 and can't wait till the next day I'm off.
To put it in a nutshell: I LOVE RIDING THESE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WEAR YOUR GEAR. KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS. HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I see a lot of varying advice on here but didn't see anyone mention some of the basics.
I agree with the ones that suggest starting out on a medium size tabletop, a real short jump has a tendancy to kick the rear of the bike up if you don't hit the jump with enough aggression. Anytime you jump (unless you are seat-bouncing which is a more advanced jump) you'll need to make sure you are standing as you go up the ramp. I found it easiest to hold a constant throttle in a higher gear all the way up the jump and then let off as the bike leaves the ground. Make sure you are still standing and in the attack position (knees bent, back slumped like you have bad posture) and grip the bike with your knees and ankles. You should be able to see your front number plate as you are coming up the jump. As you land be forward on the bike and still in the attack position and land on the gas. By landing with the gas on the bike will not bounce as bad so you won't get tossed over the bars. It'll help the bike sqaut and stick instead of pogoing. I've head it a thousand times and my experience is that in most cases it's true, when in doubt gas it.
Happy jumping

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
I like this post because it lets me know I'm not alone. I'm 45 and just took it up last season after a lifetime of wanting to do it (thank you Mr. Kneivel, "Then Came Bronson", and of course "On Any Sunday"). The thing is MX is the only legal dirt riding for me near NYC and it scares the crap out of me every time I get out there. I resist the urge to pick up my pace before I'm comfortable. Everyone says to push yourself but that's when I end up washing out, eventually. But my skill level and speed are definitely increasing AFTER taking it slowly to a comfort level first.
So aside from that advice, of not getting ahead of your basic skills to avoid injury I agree that gripping the tank is the single most important thing I've learned. Of course stand, get your weight somewhat forward and yes ACCELERATE right off the jump (Not constant throttle but GENTLY ACCELERATE). You will keep the front wheel up that way and manipulate the bike's attitude between your knees right to touch down. By holding on with your knees you have more control of the throttle too because you are not in a death grip. Don't be unhappy with one or two feet. That'll grow with confidence.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Addendum:

I hope I'm not giving bad advice in saying to accelerate. But I've found that since I don't go too fast, it's almost impossible to get the speed needed for any air other than mildly unloading the suspension. Many people say to "blip" on the jump face which worked for me but was somewhat unpredicteable. So, I found that even riding slowly, if I start to gently accelerate just before the jump face and continue to pick this up ON the jump face, I can launch myself - (like a rocket - it accelerates predicteably through it's lift-off - it's not doing 17,000 mph right off the launchpad). Just my $.02.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I was just thinking...uh oh :confused: I've only been riding again for a little over 2 years, 25 year break abd never anything like mx. I would recommend to everyone to attend a day long mx school if they've never been to one. They teach you static body positions and how to help from getting hurt from simple little inexperienced mistakes. It will be the best 100 $ ever spent.

I was reminded wannayz about the 1st time during a race as I was approaching the face of a jump at your mentioned 17,000 mph. What a feeling it was! I was on both brakes hard all the way up the face of the stepup from probably a 5th gear pinned. The landing was rather short and the loose/dry powder that forms on top of black dirt was in abundance. I remember thinking "there's no way I was gonna make it!" As I braked to the point of just locking up both wheels to slow, remember I'm already on the jump face, I let off the brakes at I gyess just the right time and floated gently over the top. I down shifted a few clicks in the air and was back on the gas when I landed. I gained so much time on that jump that lap, I never got the nerve to try it again though. :worship:

Something else I did, which was new for me (not same race). During a light practice turn out I got the chance to work on a triple. It was actually as double onto a stepup with a 90 after the landing. The run up to the jump was probably over a hundred yards, easy to hit at least 5th , but the landing on the other side said you had better not. Since I was nowhere confident feeling to repeat the 17,000 run up and brake jump technique I opted for a little jumping practice. I attempted hitting it in 4th gear sorta lugged a bit and couldn't hit the top. I scooted up closer and tried it in 3rd and was making it just to the top. On my final drills I started from a dead stop about 15 yards back and nailed it hard and on the gas in 2nd, this technique was by far the easiest. I shot up over the top like a rocket, tapped my rear brake and floated back down to earth. I did try it again in 1st from about 5 to 10 yards and actually made it to the top but it wasn't the best feeling.
My take on jumping is that it's not so much about speed (unless your EK) as it is about attack and body position. I know every jump is different but the quickness of accelleration has probably more to do with it than pure speed.

Any thoughts?

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
I described it perfectly what???????? That I might be giving bad advice or that acceleration without the need for extreme speed is the key. I'm a VERY confused rider. It's hard to learn and learn from mistakes at 45 years old 'cause the falls hust a lot and there's a ton of hell to pay from not being able to work after it.

So, I am a slow rider and an MX track seems to be all about speed and racing. Hell even on the beginner track there are novice idiots cutting me off (and I'm taking about inches here). But all I can say is that I'm very cautious and watching people jump so nicely even at relatively slow speeds is what got me to try doing the same. Now I don't jump far or high but I'm not trying triples either. I just want to be able to handle any obstacle decently and I'm still working on getting there.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
ACCELERATE right off the jump (Not constant throttle but GENTLY ACCELERATE).
That's what I meant. Many beginners are told to hit jumps at a constant throttle, but that can be misleading. You're right that it is better and more predictable to use a constant acceleration all the way up the jump.

Top Bottom