brlatm

Jan 21, 2005
Has anyone had a real problem with the carb flooding when it gets laid over??? My son was leading his race this weekend and went down in a corner and the only way to get the bike back and running is to hold the throttle wide open. I have seen some of the other posts on kx65 carb issues but none really addressed this problem. The bike is extremely hard to start after he lays it over and even when cold it is a pain.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
You could check the float level to make sure it isn't too high. It really is pretty normal for a bike to flood if you fall down, and holding the throttle wide open is the correct way to re-start it.

ssomerville

Oct 8, 2004
On our 2005 KX65 the float level was too high.

Other than hold the throttle wide open, the only other way to get it to start would be to shut the gas off and lean the bike over until the gas stopped flowing out of the carb.

brlatm

Jan 21, 2005
I am going to just send it in and get a new top end and get the carb checked on, hopefully this will fix any of the problems. It is currently taking about 15 kicks with the choke to get started when cold.

brlatm

Jan 21, 2005
Well sent it in and seems to run a little better when warm but it is a real pain in the a@@ when cold, it will not start up really easily, any ideas??? Use only 91 octane and amsoil 40:1 mix.... can't wait till the new cobra gets here maybe not so many problems

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Make sure that you have a fresh plug. If you sent it to a dealership, then they aren't guaranteed to be good mechs, and it is very possible that they left the old plug in it. You might also adjust the mix screw yourself, dealership wrench-turners are also lazy at times, and may have just returned it to stock and gave it back. Other than that I use 93 pump gas with Motul (on an old top end), and my boy's bike is usully running within 6 kicks.

As for the flooding when it's on it's side, the float doesn't work very well when it in on it's end, so the flooding just happens. The hardest point is teaching a young boy to know what to do and when.

brlatm

Jan 21, 2005
I installed a fresh plug, and adjusted the screw to about 1.5 turns out... I did this before we even started it up from the dealer... I think I am just going to pull the carb off and use some solvent and clean the whole thing out... maybe just a little bit of junk in the bottom end of the bowl

Top Bottom