RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
From personal experience these pants should be advertised as lounge pants. They are the high end Moose racing pants and while they are pretty comfortable, they tore on the very first trail ride. I fell over on a small hill climb, landing on my butt on some loamy ground, and when I got home I saw that the seat had a tear in it. I was like, WTF!!! I didn't even remember hitting anything that should have torn them. Why in the world would a pair of racing pants be made of the most flimsy material?? Even a branch on the side of the trail or a thorn tree would have trashed them. I've been riding for over 50 years and as you could guess I don't ride very hard nowadays. My backup pants are a pair of 20 year old Thor pants that have no holes or tears that I used for 15 years before buying new ones.

I went with Moose since they have a pretty good reputation (used to) for quality gear and I bought the expensive stuff at $139 figuring it must be good. No one local stocks anything anymore so I have to buy on line. If I had seen these in a shop I probably would have walked away. Again, I figured Moose knew what they were doing.

Long story short, I called Rocky Mountain (the "dealer") and they submitted a claim to Moose which they promptly denied due to "crash" damage. You can't actually talk to anyone at Moose to escalate the issue. I sent them a comment on their website last week but I highly doubt I'll hear back. Rocky Mountain can't seem to help either, although they did offer a $20 discount on my next pair of pants which I will take them up on.

Which brings me to my question. I won't buy Moose again (see above) but still need a pair of pants. I want leather on the insides of the knee and the pants need to be made out of something rugged. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Here are some pictures of the tear. I swear they used old WW2 parachutes to make these pants. You can even see where the stitching has worn away...AFTER ONE RIDE!!!!

1624372900624.png

1624372987921.png

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Dang... when I rode Moose was really good and durable for my fat arse and many tumbles. The best fitting jersey and pants for a fatter guy for sure. Hate that quality has gone down.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Stop eating beans before you ride.

I had the same experience with a set of FOX gear. First ride, and without any crashes, just some tree branch snags while ring through the trails, and both the pants and jersey had tears in them by the end of the ride. I have since picked up a set of KLIM gear and am happy with the quality.

Now, when are we riding again? Weekend of August 7th is only weekend not good for me.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I replaced the gear with a set of MRS NXT and love them. Lots of ventilation too, ya know, for the gas_BGRIN_

Well, if the rain ever stops I might be able to make it down to ride! My trails have trees down all over the place due to all the storms that we have been having. It's been interesting finding ways to ride around them! Last week I was without power for a 2 and a half days and it sucked. Last light we had flash floods and the power went out for an hour. I feel like I'm living on a 3rd world country! I guess I'm spoiled.

Top Bottom