woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Hey guys I just wanted to tell you about a problem i was having with my kdx. I put it in storage for the winter and two month later the bike wouldnt start. I changed the plug and everything still nothing I was worried about the need for a top end rebuild. It turned out The gas went bad. The gas that is being used today goes bad very quickly so make sure if you store the bike to drain it or put fuel stabalizer in it and a fresh tank in when you take it out. Bike started first kick with a fresh tank of gas

Bailey28

May 1, 2005
I've never had a problem with gas causing one of my bikes not to start. It is usually a stupid jetting experiement gone wrong! I use Yamalube 2R mixed 32:1 with 93 octane pump gas. I don't want to start a rumor, but I have heard from more than one that the 2R has a fuel stabilizer in it to make the mix last a bit longer. I try to use all of the gas I mix within one month. Let me say that my lawnmower loves the 2R! I thought it would smoke like a mosquito fogger but I didn't see any smoke.

In the summer here I wimp out and don't ride when temps get over 90 degrees F and the humidity is high. I store my bike in a closed garage until Sepetember and usually drain the carb and tank and just put an exhaust plug on the tailpipe. A while ago, I had a very bad experience riding while it was too hot out and almost passed out while riding in August. No amount of water/salt/food would help so I packed it up for the day. Slept for 12 hours that night and decided that if its too hot, then its too hot.... I'm not 21 anymore.

cfspawn

Jan 19, 2006
yeah had that myself only when i drained my "premium fuel" it had almost turned to water i still dont understand how this happend as the fuel tank is sealed and my bike is underneath our house undercover stored fuel is the first thing you would try with probs like that

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
cfspawn said:
yeah had that myself only when i drained my "premium fuel" it had almost turned to water i still dont understand how this happend as the fuel tank is sealed and my bike is underneath our house undercover stored fuel is the first thing you would try with probs like that

Unless you had the fuel stored in an airtight metal container, with very little to no airspace, it will get condensation in it, that will fill it with water. Plastic containers will also let the more volatile components evaporate out of the fuel through the porous plastic, which reduces the octane of the fuel, and makes it more difficult to ignite.

Fuel in a bike fuel tank, is not sealed, as there is a vent in the cap, to prevent a vacuum from cutting off the fuel flow. This lets air in and out, but mostly it will let moist air, in, then a temperature change will cause the moisture to condense out of the air, and it drains off the tank walls into the fuel. This repeatsa number of times, and your gas is full of water. Higher humidity, and greater temperature fluctuations will make it worse, than low humidity, and small temperature fluctuations.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Just do not burn old gas in your motorcycle! Too easy to burn in your car and start fresh for your motorcycle. It has been my experience that over time condensate will accumulate in the bottom of the carb and cause your KDX to refuse to start. Most of us are playing with the jetting and have the carb open pretty often and eleminate and never see this problem. If you do not have the carb open or off for a couple of months, it is smart to open the bottom of the carb drain plug and be sure all the condensate and other crud is out! Enjoy the ride--John

Top Bottom