ugadawg131

Aug 18, 2007
hey yall my names David im 15 and live in ga.
Im trying to convince my dad to let me get my friends 1884 honda xl185. He wants $600 and i think thats a pretty good deal because ive seen him ride it around the neighborhood and he has never had a problem with it. it needs a little bit of electrical work because none of the lights,blinkers, or horn work, so i would need to fix that if i was gonna try and get my motorcycle license when im 16.

But in the meantime i just need some points or facts or some info to reinforce my "argument" so i can get it to just trail ride with.

any info will be greatly appreciated whether it has to do with if it will be a good beginner bike to what i should tell my dad.

Thanks alot
David

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Here's a little inside info from a Dad, take it or leave it as you wish.
-Don't push this too much.
-Look at other bikes, while the old Hondas are good it's old.
-A motorcycle license might be a reach, my son won't get one until he's 18 or older.
-Good grades and good manners will go a long way towards helping you achieve your goal. Keeping them up after you get what you want is important too.
Good luck.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Hey David! What part of GA? Maybe you and your dad could come out when we ride, take a spin on a couple of the bikes, and let your dad know we are not all complete heathens.

Homestly, I'd be a little nervous about a bike that old. If nothing else, parts will be hard to find and anything rubber on it (seals, etc) have to be old and brittle.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
Where can you find parts for that old thing!? Must be running good for a 123 year old bike. By the way, $600 is pretty steep for a 1984 bike. Talk him down to $300. Sounds like a good friend, but is trying to get more than it is worth.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Not all old bikes are bad. My neighbor has an old late 70's 50cc honda trail bike and she still runs great. Well she did...until he left the bike at my house for the day. It came back with a broken chain and I just put it back at his house without him knowing about the chain. He went to go ride it and as he put it into gear and tried to do a wheelie but instead the chain went flying off about 5 feet and the bike reved up really high and CA-PUT! :whoa: It hasn't been able to start ever since. He may have blew the engine.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like you are a real pal Cman. Remind me NEVER to let you EVER borrow anything.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Patman said:
Sounds like you are a real pal Cman. Remind me NEVER to let you EVER borrow anything.

The only thing that held the chain links together was the rust that seized them on. All I did was put it in 1st gear and she snapped right off. :nod:

Can I borrow your bike now? :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Cman250 said:
Can I borrow your bike now? :)
Nope I would expect any friend of mine to at least mention there was a problem and hopefully save me from destroying it because of a lack of information. No way I would allow you on any bike I own

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
respect?

Cman250 said:
The only thing that held the chain links together was the rust that seized them on. All I did was put it in 1st gear and she snapped right off.

The problem is by not mentioning what happened a simple chain problem became a much more serious one. I hope you will make amends with your friend on this. I'm a big believer in accidents being accidents. But you should have told your friend what happened, left a note if nothing else. There's some personal responsibility involved in borrowing things, breaking, communicating, returning, fixing.

I'm not sure you have the right attitude for that big bike you just got. Respect- was that how you put it? There's a shortage being shown already.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
ryankdx12 said:
The problem is by not mentioning what happened a simple chain problem became a much more serious one. I hope you will make amends with your friend on this. I'm a big believer in accidents being accidents. But you should have told your friend what happened, left a note if nothing else. There's some personal responsibility involved in borrowing things, breaking, communicating, returning, fixing.

I'm not sure you have the right attitude for that big bike you just got. Respect- was that how you put it? There's a shortage being shown already.

Alright before this goes any further let me tell you a little bit of info: The bike is about 30 years old. It was an old junker and he couldn't care less if someone drove it off a cliff. I have known this kid since as long as i have moved here. I know his sense of humor well and decided to play a little trick. I decided not tell him in hopes of what was about to happen would actually happen. After he started the bike and made the chain fly off and end with engine cutting out, the look on his face was priceless. :whoa: which was quickly followed by :rotfl:

I did tell him about what I had planned and happened. The joke worked and it was a hilarious moment. He didn't care one bit about the bike in fact jokingly started kicking it afterwards cursing at it. In fact even though he couldn't care less if that bike runs or not I recently went over to his house and took a look at the problem. He had only blew his spark plug and needed a new chain. Both of which I fixed and payed for. The bike still sits in his garage, and it probably wouldn't make a difference if it worked or not because he only uses it as something to brake or mess around on when he's bored. Regardless of the situation I felt the need to undo my harm and make it better even though i know next week it will be either siting in his garage or broken because thats what friends are for :nod: In the end we had got a memorable time, and he got a new chain and plug for his bike.

Sorry If I had worded the previous post to make it sound like I was a immature jerk that couldn't care less about my friends and their property. But I felt it was my RESPONSIBILITY to clear things up and help you understand the theme of the story.

Top Bottom