Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
hey guys, Iam having some issues with my bike. I am new to riding, I tried to start it today and it died after 30 seconds with the choke on in idle. Then I could not get it started, I have a new plug in. also, I noticed a good amount of black oil which seems to be coming out in front of the spark plug. Like, thiers the plug, right in front of that about half inch thiers a bolt, then right in front of the bolt thiers a little place where you can stick your finger in and thats where thiers black oil. I am waiting to install new gaskets for my clucth and primary covers which are leaking. I would prechate any help, I starting to get #issed off. thanx alot guys
vaulta

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Possibly. Kinda hard to follow your description. There should be no spooge coming from ANYWHERE around your cylinder. Exhaust leak? KIPS cover leak?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Your description puts your finger between the front bracket right at the head/cylinder junction.

Fuzzy's right. There should be NO goop there. None! An exhaust 'leak' will be a detriment to performance and should be taken care of. Doubt you would see the evidence of that where your description (I think) puts your finger.

You might check the torque on the head fasteners. DO NOT tighten them past spec 'for good measure' cuz it's leaking.

If the fastener's are loose, maybe that will take care of the spooge. If they aren't, at least take the head off, clean up the mating surfaces real well (check for damage to either surface) replace the gasket..torque the fasteners on reassembly.

Jet your bike correctly to get rid of the drips in the first place.

Last edited:

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
I will look into it more, could coming from exhaust, if thats the case what kind of repair prodeures is that. I have a manual coming, this bike is pissing me off. I just bought the 99 kdx200 and I checked it out, rode on it. The bike looked almost mint, the guy said it was sitting in storage for three years. I bring it home and ride it for 2 hours total, right know I have to replace a primary gasket and clutch cover gasket, plus this new problem and the bike is running funky. Someone mentioned but was not sure that the gaskets could of gone bad becuase it was in storage.
thanx for the suggestions
vaulta

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
the thing to keep in mind is when you turn the choke on you are richening your mixture. afer it died did you turn the choke back off? it sounds like it warmed up and died on the rich mixture. if you are kicking on it with the choke on you have flooded it. take the plug out use a ligher and burn off the unspent gas and warm it a bit. then try a few kicks with the choke off and the throttle cracked about an 1/8th. if no luck then go back to the choke. mine likes to have the throttle cracked a bit to fire when cold or flooded.

the next thing to consider is if the guy had it jetted to run on 32:1 and you are using 50:1 you are fattening the mixture too. check and see what it's jetted at.

stay calm and always remember....when you are mad there is no sense in tearing up your own stuff! you'll just have to fix after you cool off.

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
Imathorp your right I think that is what happened with the choke, Iam using 40:1 golden spectra which the previous owner was using, I do need to check the jetting out to. First, Iam going to fix these leaks.thanx alot!

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
I took a closer look at it with a flash light, its hard to see in thier. Black oil seems to be coming out of the bolt thats sticking straight up in the air by the kips cover but not the cover, not the bolt directly in front of the spark plug another bolt more to the left thats directly in front of a number inprint (1409) which I think is the top case. I dont see how its collecting in front of the bolt thats in front of the spark plug since you guys said thiers no fluid thier. maybe its spewing up? does this sound like a head gasket

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
the bolts sticking up with nuts on them are your head bolts. the lower ones (below the KIPS cover) are the jug or cylinder bolts. Its probably a small amount of water leaking up around the bolt that has collected some dirt to look like oil. I wouldnt worry too much about it. just give all the bolts on the head and jug a turn with a torque wrench and make sure they are all to spec. make sure your overflow bottle and tubes are clear and not obstructed or pinched off.

when these bikes get hot they will tell on themselves by puking some water out the overflow. when they are really hot they will spew out the vent tube. I routed my vent tube to spray on my boot toe so i know when i have hit the limit on heat in a race. usually when its muddy and slow.

the only thing i can think of is if the overflow was obstructed it may have migrated the water up that bolt. that's pretty far fetched, really, i would just tighten them and move on.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
My gf bought an old "new" lawnmower that hadn't been run in quite awhile and it leaked/seeped from everywhere once I replaced the gas and carb and got it running. None of the gaskets sealed and the heating and cooling cycles after sitting for so long broke everything loose. This sure sounds similar. Like it was mentioned above, torque everything back to spec and see what happens. The head gasket is metal so that should torque back down. Fiber gaskets can get hard and stop sealing. Good luck.

Best,
Greg

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
Yea it does have a bolt attached to hit. When my manual arrives I will torque it. My engine was just started not even ran or hot when I noticed all this black oil around the spark plug area. thanx for all the advice guys this place is phat......Can a bad leaking primary cover and clucth cover cause funky performance.
vaulta

Top Bottom