dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
That's the Bolger rear suspension they used on those Ossas.

Just remembered Hercules bikes had multiple mounting points for the rear shocks and 7 speed transmissions. 

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
On most bikes with the dual plug heads, one was a 'spare'.  If you fouled the first plug, you just moved the plug wire to the second plug. 

But some of us built dual-plug heads that fired both plugs at once in an effort to reduce knock in high strung two-strokes. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BigLou
Cool history lessons here! Rich-I can't see any of the pictures for Eric's patents. Are they there or is it my browser? Can't see them work or home.

Lou - I had no problem viewing the images using IE 6.00

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

But some of us built dual-plug heads that fired both plugs at once in an effort to reduce knock in high strung two-strokes. ;)
My 73 CZ 380 has a dual plug/dual coil ignition. I'm fairly certain that the reason they did this was because the bike wasn't quite heavy enough without it. :confused:

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Scott plastic moto boots.

Smith and Scott goggles with the turbo fan to stop fog up... and make your eyes dryer than the Sahara LOL.

Boot Gators that had a short but profound fashion statement.

Oakley over the top sunglasses, I think they did that more for a joke/attention getter than a money maker lol.

And of course the best one of all... I forget the name but the hat with the two split flaps on the back to give you that poser Mullet look.... I had several in various colors :aj:

One I hope never makes this list is the ManFunnel :laugh:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I think the "metal" tanks Treejumper spoke of were aluminum not steel.
Yea they dented easy, but gosh they were gorgeous!

Suzuki made a bmx'er for a while too. And Honda had the "Kick 'n Go" remember those?

Yamaha's "Tourque Induction" system. although i cant remember if that was the oil injection or some other gimick. Gosh that sure sounded cool though.
"yea MY bike is "tourque induction" equipped!" :yeehaw:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by OnAnySunday
Yamaha's "Tourque Induction" system. although i cant remember if that was the oil injection or some other gimick.

The "gimmick" was reed valves. ;)

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
Bultaco Fronteras had a tool pouch attached to the tank - don't know of any other bikes with that feature.

I've got a 72' Penton with a puoch that bolts to the tank i assume for tools etc. The penton also has cables with a capped "Lubrication point" and a Breather Frame. Cool Stuff!!

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Rich- what did they use before reed valves?

More things that didn't make it...
1. Z spokes used on mid 80's YZ's, the spoke made a Z through the spoke hole and went to the other side, creating half as many spokes on the wheel.

2. Neon Riding gear (thank goodness)
3. Riding gloves with big bulky plastic armor attached to it.
4. the 20" front wheel, although I'm not sure why it didn't stick

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Ok I'm looking through an old MXA from 93, 10 years later, and here's what's not around anymore...
1. "Day" brand riding boots
2.Noleen Racing (whatever happened to them?)
3.Sizzler as a sponsor
4.Sinisalo gear
5. Hi-flite seat covers (those ones where you could choose the color and style)
6. JT gear, although they still make gear for paintball
7.R.A.D- racers against drugs
8. Arrow handlebars
9. Yokko gear
10. Leakproof fork seals..."lifetime guarantee"-what is up with that????

Well that's it for this issue of MXA

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Interesting, so that means the piston had a "window" in it that allowed fuel to get into the crankcase and back up into the cylinder?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i can remember them old engines with rotary valve induction- carb was on the side of the crank cases and there was a round disk on the side of the crank with a hole in to let the fuel in???? i am almost sure we had a ke125 field bike at one point. not as much fun as the XL 185 that i took through a hedge though:)

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Yep the disc on the side of the KE125 had a section cut out rather than a hole. I thought it was just a standard carb feeding though it. The 2-stroke oil injection was just downstream of the carb before the rotary valve. I have heard of them used in multicylinder 2stroke street bikes but never saw them used in dirt bikes since.

I understand the non-reed style bikes just have the inlet to the crankcase blocked by the piston skirt.

Drum brakes. Magnetos. points. That same KE125 had an in-the-head compression release threaded into its second spark plug hole.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by yz250roost
Interesting, so that means the piston had a "window" in it that allowed fuel to get into the crankcase and back up into the cylinder?
There was only a port from the carb directly into the cylinder (no port into the crank). As the piston moved up it sucked fuel through the port from the carb and into the crank. As the piston moved back down it forced the fuel through transfer ports (just like today) and into the combustion chamber. Also, as the piston moved down the intake skirt blocked the port to the carb to prevent blow back of the fuel into the carb (like reeds do today).

The length of the intake skirt control the amount and time for the fuel coming in. I used to trim the skirt to edge a few more ponies out but if it got too short the fuel would just shoot back into the carb and it wouldn't run.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by BillyWho

And of course the best one of all... I forget the name but the hat with the two split flaps on the back to give you that poser Mullet look.... I had several in various colors :aj:

I believe those were known as 'Sahara Hats'.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Automatic Chain Oiler, seen on some early euro bikes in the 70-80's, consisted of an oil canister w/a drip valve directed to the chain. Butaco even had a chain oiler that reserved the oil in the swingarm!

2 stroke compression release, retro fit in the 2nd spark plug hole-

Big rubber mud flaps-

Jofa - ....although, I know a guy still using one of those :eek:

Back when "laydown shocks" where big, a friend of mine thought he had the bomb when he mounted the top of his shocks to his fender mount,(laydown position), then proceeded to crack the frame at that point his first ride. :laugh:  Too funny!

Clear contact paper on the tank in an attempt to keep the paint from wearing off, the contact paper eventually turned yellow and looked worse than if the paint was worn!!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Helmet visors with little rear view mirrors on them (so you could see if someone was about to pass you). :confused:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by holeshot
Helmet visors with little rear view mirrors on them (so you could see if someone was about to pass you). :confused:
VisoorVue! Those things were great! I've got one around here somewhere. If helmets still had snaps, I'd still be using it.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
shaw, my 89 KDX has one of those Automatic Chain Oiler, never tried it out though because it looks like it doesnt work too well.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
...you have got to be kidding me, they really had rear view mirrors that hooked on your helmet? If you're not joking around, then someone had just too much time on their hands in the product development department.

Top Bottom