Removing my chain for cleaning...how?

drudin

May 15, 2002
I have an 01 DRZ400E that has some rust on the chain (and some sag). I would like to take it off to really clean it in a parts washer.
Could someone run down the steps of chain maintainance for me? I've only been riding since may and haven't done much bike repair before (though I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just want to do it as well as I can).
Also, I think my chain is stock... any guesses on what type it is...roller, o-ring, etc. I have no clue how to tell.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Find the master link and pop it off with a set of pliers or channel locks.
Save the o-rings, clean with a wire brush and parts wash or gas. Lay the chain on the groud after cleaning and drying.

Check to see if there are any stiff links or kinks. O-ring chains last longer than non o-ring chains. I usually replace the sprokets and chain at the same time because they last longer that way.

Make sure that you lube the chain also.

Hope this helps..feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.
Brian

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
You may find a problem that the plates are pressed on & it is hard to just remove.

Generally it is probably quicker to just get some kerosine & a toothbrush & clean it like that, then wipe it off & lube it.
If it is O-ring you will see the rings squeezed between the plates, it will be obvious on close inspection. If so avoid using petrol as it may damage the rings.

If you want to take it off use the search button above & search on chains & perhaps removal & you should find a horde of info.

RomKX5

Feb 4, 2002
I would suggest a service manual. It'll be a very good investment for you. About the chain. No need to pull it off because it is new, but if you insist, then pop the clip off the master link as suggested by endosport. Remove the master link and the chain will come off. To clean my o-ring chain (Tecate 4) I use Castol superclean and a toothbrush, rinse with water, then lube with o-ring safe lube (and no problems, no rust). On my regular chain (KX500), if I have left over gas, I'll use it, but if not then I do the same as with the o-ring chain. And I do this after every ride. Good luck.

Top Bottom