DMATT125

Feb 25, 2001
like the old saying goes there is no replacement for displacement. oh, the best one is the exhaust tip. sounds like a weedwacker.:silly:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I got tired of getting my rear kicked by these little rice burners, so I bought one! Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. BTW, my stock Civic does 115 MPH, and gets 35 MPG at 80 MPH with the air on. Don't miss my Detroit iron one bit!:cool:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
It's too bad you don't live closer so I could take you out and spank you. This will be my last post on this subject, as I have noticed from your previous posts that your goal seems to be to stir up people just to see what kind of response you can get. It's really not important to me wether my car can beat a Camaro or a Mustang,etc. I bought for it's economy and reliability, something I've never gotten out of all the Detroit cars I've owned. (BTW, Civics are assembled in the U.S.) The only reason I stated the top speed was because the 80 MPH statement was off the mark. And yes, as a matter of fact, I have spanked a few V-8s. Do you think the ones that have beaten me are gonna brag? About what-"I beat a 4 banger?"

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
Bwaaahaaaaahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe the irony of a person who implies that he rides a Suzuki doesn't like riceburners!!:eek:

I just have to give my .02$ here. I live in Japan and see nothing BUT "riceburners", most of which are turbocharged and quite fast. I hate to say it, but I really think that the US car manufacturers are a little behind the times. And honestly, displacement means little when you are talking good turbo setups here, just look at the success of the Buick GNX (and to think that car was built 15 years ago).

What I really love about american cars, though, it how cheap it is to build horsepower. Just a couple thousand dollars invested in a Chevy 350 can build you a screaming engine!:p

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
as to the matter of you refering to these "rice burners" those rice burners are made in ohio from other products here in the tri-state area(steel, aluminum, and 95% of the other materials)Honda's plant is in ohio, Toyota's plant is in West Virgina, and most other "rice burning" brands are owned by a parent company i.e. Mazda is owned by ford, Izuzu, Suzuki cars are owned by General Motors. So, in short, most "rice burners" are more american made than ford, GM, and chrysler. personally, i do hate those "rice burners" (i.e. ford, gm, chrysler), just give me my good reliable american truck(92 toyota pick up)

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
It's amazing --

-- the truth can vacate a thread faster than a green chili fart. :scream:

Good post :) smb_katoomer

Mudrider300---WWR is stationed in Japan with the USAF :)

RMrider125--:(

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Maybe "riceburners" should be replaced with "rice-rocket"

I've seen a couple of Civic hatch, H22A swaps, talk about a fast car.....

I'd still take a EVO though....:)

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
Originally posted by smb_katoomer
as to the matter of you refering to these "rice burners" those rice burners are made in ohio from other products here in the tri-state area(steel, aluminum, and 95% of the other materials)Honda's plant is in ohio, Toyota's plant is in West Virgina, and most other "rice burning" brands are owned by a parent company i.e. Mazda is owned by ford, Izuzu, Suzuki cars are owned by General Motors. So, in short, most "rice burners" are more american made than ford, GM, and chrysler. personally, i do hate those "rice burners" (i.e. ford, gm, chrysler), just give me my good reliable american truck(92 toyota pick up)
I should stay out of this idiotic dispute, but the above statement rubs me the wrong way. Japanese cars are Japanese cars no matter where they are final assembled. All the intelligent work (read highly paid) is done in Japan by the Japanese. That includes engineering, accounting, management etc. In many ways we have been suckered into being cheap labor subcontractors for the Japanese car makers while at the same time they convince us that Honda is now an American car because the pre-engineered parts are finally bolted together in Ohio.

Last edited:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
JohninKY,

The Statement you speak of is meant to let people know that Americans were working and getting paid for the manufacture of that car. That being said, the corporate profits I'm sure some how find their way to Japan. As for who the high paid designers are... I think if corporate American auto manufacturers wanted to they could also come up with these designs... I'm note sure why they don't but then I still believe that politics is above board (well maybe not but I like to believe it) but I’m sure it has something to do with it. And last but not least.....do you work on your own American car.....do you have to use metric wrenches?

BTW I am the proud owner of : F150 4x4 extended cab pickup, Cavalier, WR250-2S, XR 100, DT 175, CT70 and an OLD F150 and I’m looking at an EXC 200!

Buy American just does not mean what it use too, get use to it , it ain't gonna change! :(

Kevin

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
JohninKY,I agree most components are built outside of the U.S. but Nissan does build their v6 and v8(coming) engines in Decherd,Tn and they are a assembled in Smyrna,Tn or better known here as Smyrnasaki.:)

Last edited:

LoP

Jun 17, 2001
Not a flame...your civic beat a few v8's

Wow.. You must have some time and money in your car. I love all *fast cars whether it be a good old fashioned V8 pushing 400 ponies or a supped I6TT. I know there are fast civics...just have yet to see one. My wife thinks there cute..Im trying like hell to talk her out of it. I agreed to test drive one with her if she agreed to test drive the s2000 right after!! <evil grin> even went as far as to offer to help pay for the auto if it could be a Ford lighting mmmm supercharged 5.2-liter v8 yummy! <and you can throw your moto in the back!!!> I've seen this discussion time and time again in different forums..suprised to see it here. Being the listers here are much more mature the conversation is surprisingly relaxed and informative. I must admit I do luv pulling up to *riced out anything in my '59 bug and blowing the doors off of them with my FI2276 although I have taken my licks by other enthusiasts ..there is always someone faster.

But I can say I have never been beaten by a civic :p

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
even went as far as to offer to help pay for the auto if it could be a Ford lighting mmmm supercharged 5.2-liter v8 yummy!
If you are talking about the ford lightning truck.They sure do look yummy.:confused: We have a quite a few speedy looking civic's around here with those big loud mufflers.Not sure if they are as speedy as they look.:think

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Truth be told, those exhausts add nothing but noise, not horsepower. (Very little anyways.) There are two ways to build a fast Civic: a) Drop an R motor in it, or b) go the turbo / nitrous route.
LoP, I've built a few VWs', and been around some very fast ones. The sound of a pair of Weber carbs is not foreign to my ears, and if I was to hear that sound next to me at a stoplight, I would not hesitate to roll very slowly away from that light so it was apparent that I had no intention of being embarrassed by said VW.
As I had stated earlier, mine is just a commuter with some nice wheels, but once in awhile some jerk-off will come along in a wanna-be race car, and I'll feel obligated to embarrass him.I'm not saying I think it's fast, just faster than many of the other slugs out there.
As for the Lightning; yes, that would be a sweet bike hauler! I love American trucks, I just won't buy their autos anymore.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
ktmboy: One of the most swapped out engines is the B18C from the GSR. Cheaper than the R engine, and in a hatch thats all that is really needed. Unless you drop a JRSC on a stock Si. I'm not much of a Honda fan myself, I'd rather hear the rumble of a LS1 than the whinning of a rice rocket....

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
Sorry guys, but I am still ROTFLMAO about this thread!

Mudrider- I am a US citizen, just stationed in Japan here for about 2 years now. I was referring to RMrider125's name when I said he implied that he rode a 'Zuk.

If you think the look "fast" thing is a joke there, you should see what they do here in Japan. Most of the Jap cars that look fast here really are fast. But what gets me is the cars like the Taurus station wagons that they lower and make to look "fast" here but really arent (just because they are an "exotic", expensive American car). Picture this: a 1987 Buick station wagon, lowered, very expensive rims and low profile tires, with tinted windows and the original wood-grain sidepaneling. Yuk.

Oh, well, whatever floats your boat!:)

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
I am sure your civic goes 115 down a hill.

My stock standard 1.8l civic will do 130mph on a slight incline. They make them here with the B18B1 engines.

American cars dont compare to well to european & japanese cars, also reflected by sales. They are big, handle badly and only go fast in a straight line. I have never seen cars bounce around as much on the road as the US cars, I assume that is because they are built for comfort and not driveability. I'm not talking vipers & corvettes here, standard family type sedans.

No offence, just an observation.

CR125_tom

Apr 20, 2001
I had a built 88 Mustang GT a few years back with about 280 horses. Headwork, pistons, exhaust.....

One evening this lowered Civic hatchback pulls up next to me and obviously wants to race. I though it would be a case of humiliation on the civic's part, so I obliged.

Well, the civic was behind me until I hit 3rd gear. He kept pulling hard until he was up a car length ahead and I backed off after that since we were going a bit too fast. Nitrous? Turbo? Who knows?

After that, I had new respect for the little rice burners.

my 2 cents

tristan68

Mar 14, 2001
i'm so glad that all the civics over here have the "powered by honda" stickers
on their windows because if they didn't have it, i wouldn't know what was under the hood. Maybe i'll put some "powered by honda" stickers on
my cr, just incase anyone wondered what motor was in my cr.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I cant help but wonder if rmrider125 has all the newest stickers on his bike, fancy paint on his helmet, or the coolest gear hoping to make everone think he is the next bubba:p

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
For all you non-believers, I was beaten by a Civic in a 1/4 mile run earlier today by about 10 feet!

But I still say it was because I was wearing penny loafers and not sneakers....

Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
When people say they were beaten by a rice burner, you have to look at the facts behind the race.

I had a Ford Falcon (large sedan) powered by a 351 Cleveland. I was beaten by a rice burner in a stop light race by a mate of mine. He had a 1.8 Lancer.

Why would this 1.8 beat a 5.8? Very simple.
1. I am running my car on Liquid Petroleun Gas. The gas carby only flows about 350cmf.
2. It is a auto, with no high stall.
3. The diff ratio is 2.72. Not a good ratio for getting off the line quickly.

So, this rice burner beats me off the line. I get bagged out by my mate.

But raceing at speed was a different thing all together. At 60mph, my stall converter had locked and the diff was working for me.
He tried to overtake me, but I jumped on it and left him for dead. All the way to 130 mph.

So, just because a rice burner can get off the line, doesn't make it the quicker car. Rice burner gets of line quickly and then runs out of puff, 351 has got the legs.

Now if I only put in a high stall, 3.11 diff and 750 holley, the rice burners wouldn't know which way I went.

Top Bottom