2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Of course newbies are more than welcome (in fact they are encouraged)! I'm sure there will be somebody wanting to ride with you, lots and lots of great people there.
They sell gas on the loop (regular gas station and a not-so regular station).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
LC RM said:
Are newbies welcome at this ride...
:cool:

Are you bringing that RM on the ride? That'd be cool to see...

We've recruited a new father and son team to ROS. Zach's buddy Alex picked up a CRF-100 late last fall, and his dad (Andy) got the bug and just picked up a CRF-230. Both new riders, and really excited about going. Turns out Andy's neighbor is a long time ROS veteran, and he'll be there too.

Now this is the good part....

Andy knows this guy about an hour southeast of us. Lives on 100 acres. Woods, fields, some marshy areas. Owns an excavation company. Rides dirt bikes. He's built a harescramble-type loop, complete with wooded trails. He broke in his bike today riding out there with his son. And he's going to ROS too. Says we're welcomed to join him riding out on his property next Sunday.

SPARKEY

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
May 7, 2001
“ Originally Posted by Fred T ”
.... I was thinking that we could try to get an early start Saturday morning for the big ride, try to get the gas truck located maybe Fri night so we can get an early start - we can use my enclosed trailer to keep things secure if you want.

Fred

I'm all for setting gas truck Friday.
An early start Saturday would also be Great.
The whoops were bad last year!!!
Hoping an early start will help.

I will be bringing our new 5th wheel camper this year.
My wife Deb. will also be coming, so If any of the non riders
Wives want to do the (Bead Thing) Make necklaces etc she is a AA rider, you might say :)

Nate My nephew will also be there again this year.
We need to come up with a Handle for him, Swimmer
Allwet, STAY TO THE RIGHT, see what you can come up with. :think:

I always look forward to ROS.
Seeing everyone after a long winter is always good thing.

Sparkey

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Rites of Spring schedules with cool stuff happening all weekend including Lansing Cycle's special events.

Friday night sign up from 5-8 pm with a riders meeting following.
Saturday Morning, riders meeting at 8:00 AM then sign up till 12:00 noon. Prize drawing at 5:30 andædinner and meeting to follow.
Sunday sign up 8-11 and prize drawing at 4:00pm.

Schedule of events for Lansing Cycle
Friday
4:00pm- KTM Suspension and bike set up seminar 1 What will be covered in both seminars: 1. Basic suspension set up a. importance of correct springs b. setting the sag c. initial clicker setting and what they do 2. Additional Bike set up a. Tire selection b. Jetting c. gearing Plus a brief Q and A at the end of the seminar.
6:00PM-Tire Changing Contest 1: You will be able to buy a guess at how long it will take KTM race Mechanic Alan Randt to change a tire with a mousse tubeless insert. The person with the closest guess will win their choice of Michelin tire. Guesses are $5.00 each and you may purchase as many as you like. 100% of the proceeds will go to the Pediatric brain tumor fund.

Saturday
3:00pm-Factory backed KTM/Enduro Engineering GNCC Pro Robbie Jenks is scheduled to appear for riding tips and autograph session.
4:00pm- KTM Suspension and bike set up seminar 2
4:30pm Tire Changing Contest 2: We will see if Alan can beat his time from friday. You will have another chance to buy a guess at how long it will take KTM race mechanic Alan Randt to change a tire with a mousse tubeless insert. The person with the closest guess will win their choice of Michelin tire. Guesses are $5.00 each and you may purchase as many as you like. 100% of the proceeds will go to the Ken Daugherty Scholarship Fund.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
What they arn't gonna let Chris Huber challange Alan to a tire changing contest like he did to Jeff Ferdette at the SDM???

Last edited:

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
2TrakR said:
Friday
4:00pm- KTM Suspension and bike set up seminar 1 What will be covered in both seminars: 1. Basic suspension set up a. importance of correct springs b. setting the sag c. initial clicker setting and what they do 2. Additional Bike set up a. Tire selection b. Jetting c. gearing Plus a brief Q and A at the end of the seminar.

Will the suspension seminar apply to all bikes, or is it KTM specific?
My buddy Ron (dirtgerkin) had another thread about setting up his KDX suspension. If master suspension mechanic Napper was their to answer questions that would be awsome!

Thanks guys, I can't hardly wait for ROS. I have been working on getting the bikes ready. In other words I have 3 torn apart... :)

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Just got back from working the DS courses for RoS. Had to record all of the route changes the USFS required of our routes..
Beautiful weather to say the least. Dusty would be an understatement. We didn't hit any of the event single track (ie Big O/Little O) other than to cross it in a few parts. The whoops could barely be seen on the trail (if you were 1 mile or more away from the trail). Seemed to consist of a fine silt not much more than a foot deep.
The DS courses look pretty good, should be a good ride for all. Little over 270 miles in the saddle for both courses. I counted all of the whoops on both loops with just one hand (the one with six fingers).. One re-route cause the road was under water, but there are still a couple of puddles to make the course interesting.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
It's been a very dry spring. Good for keeping the skeeters down.... Bad for dust.

Help me interpret the whoops report.... :think:

Single Track = :yikes:

Dual Sport = :cool:

???

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
It's been a very dry spring. Good for keeping the skeeters down.... Bad for dust.

Help me interpret the whoops report.... :think:

Single Track = :yikes:

Dual Sport = :cool:

???

They groom the single track every year before ROS, but ya godda git out of bed and on the trail early to enjoy it. By the time you guys get back I'll have a serious pile of beer cans stacked up next to my lawn chair. I'd rather eat dust any day.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
if that was groomed last year...I'm scared of what "UNGROOMED" would look like. Im thinking if doing the DS ride this year only because of the Uber-whoops last year on the single track. Whats the realll story on the whoop report.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Smit-Dog - you interpreted the whoop report quite well.

They do grade Big O, but in the fall. I'm quite certain they do not grade the trail before the event (in the spring) as this was done before and much grumblings from the power that be were heard (DNR didn't like our ORV sticker money being used for the enjoyment of one event or something like that). The trail is graded after the event and that's part of our permit.
Like I said, I didn't ride the trail, but did peer down it on a number of crossings; looked like it was graded last fall and is getting whooped already. But don't take my word for it.

Oh speaking of things. The USFS was busy closing roads/trails/nice things especially around the Whiskey Creek property area. The kids loop this year will most definitely be different than last year as I saw two sections of trail that now have gates and carsonites with no wheeled vehicle signs on them.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
2TrackR, how long is that kids loop anyways. It's looking that I will be spending my time on that loop with my kid. Yea I have had offers to kid swap for a day so I can ride the Big O but I think I will hang out at camp and help Freds can collection grow bigger instead. That is after I tire the kid out on the trail :think:

All this talk of the woop monster is making my knees creek just thinking about it :bang:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I wonder if the decision to groom after the event (and not before) was based on an ORV advisory meeting. There was a fellow ORV enthusiast who lived in the Baldwin area, but did not participate in the ROS. He was complaining because the trail was groomed and then used by several hundreds of riders at ROS and then not groomed again until the Fall. I realize he may have had his facts wrong, but he may have gotten the attention from somebody important.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
The gent who brought up the trail condition at the Bd meeting did get some attention; it was one of the catalyst that the USFS mentioned. I'm sure he wasn't the only one to complain.

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
One re-route cause the road was under water

Hey!! That was supposed to be the site of the official GLDS first annual submarine races! What are you thinking? :)

BTW, I had "sea weed" stuck in my spokes and in my airbox after going through there this past weekend.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I was just reading the new trailrider magazine. They had a spot about the ROS. Telling about how hard it was to get the permits this year and that we would be under heavy scrutiny. A few points that they emphasized.

1. When ridding the Big O. On the street sections, keep off the side of the road. All the bikes are legal to ride the road on this ride. Thats what the event permit does for us. But we have to stay off the shoulder of the road. That tears the side of the road up. Stay on the pavement. Its legal.

2. If your not platted dont ride down the road past the trail. Only use the road sections to go from trail to trail.

3. When on the roads and in the public eye act acordingly. Keep out of the throttle and both wheels on the ground. Leave a good impression with the general public not a bad one.

4. No cutting corners when road riding. A corner on Hawley road was mentioned. Basicaly stay on the road and off the shoulder at all times. DONT CUT CORNERS.

5. No campfires. There is a statewide ban on fires right now. We dont want to burn the place down.

I totaly agree with everything they mention. Lets keep it clean this year. If you see someone doing something they shouldnt tell them or get a bike description and tell the CCC folks at signup. We cannot afford any screw ups out there this year, or there just may be no next year.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for posting this YZ.... yet like in past years, you will still see knuckle-heads blasting down the gravel shoulders spewing dust and rocks all over the place. A couple of well-placed signs at the start of each road connector would help remind everyone.

Last edited:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
While they may keep the ban of fires at the event, the State wide ban has been lifted.

As for the road sections, by the permit, we have to have every road crossing manned with a body. Putting signs along certain areas, like Hawley & Walhalla, would be a great idea.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom