fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I know there is a post for the Spring Pine, but I wanted to get a better idea of who from DRN is planning to attend the events this weekend. The trails were perfect this past weekend. Yes, it was cold, but it was GOOD dirt. Hopefully, the snow will keep moisture in the ground = no dust.

I will be in the area on Thursday and planting trees on Friday morning (Arbor Day). On Saturday I will be the guy pulling out his grey hairs trying to keep everything organized.

I am RACING on Sunday. Team PTP minus one.

Mike Jr.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Zach and I will be riding on Saturday, and I'll be riding on Sunday.

The whole family is coming up, and we're staying at the All Seasons resort. The wife and daughters are hanging out with a girlfriend and her kids who live just outside of TC. There's a pool and hot tub at the hotel, but looking for other activities in town to keep them busy.

1) What's this trout festival all about? Parade? Fairgrounds with kid's rides? Looking for things they can do while we're riding.

2) Do the Pine Cone and Arbor Day Enduro both stage from the same location, i.e. Leetsville ORV trailhead? Since we'll only have one vehicle, I'd like to drop the trailer off for the weekend.

3) For the Pine Cone, will gas/lunch be back at staging?

4) Do you have an approximate timeframe for the trophy presentation on Saturday?

5) Will any public riding be available at the Leetsville trailhead on Saturday afternoon after the Pine Cone? Looking possibly to get my wife and daughter out on the trail for a bit.

I hope the snow stays on the ground until Friday to keep the dust down! We got a good 8" around our house.

Thanks!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
1) check out www.kalkaskami.com/trout/
2) Yes, we will stage out of Leetsville, but no overnight camping is allowed.
3) Pine Cone gas will be back at the staging area.
4) I hope we are handing out trophies around 3:00 (maybe 3:30) on Saturday.
5) With both events starting at Leetsville. Public riding there on Saturday may be a bit dangerous. I would recommend the other trailhead in the area - Kalkaska which on the northside of M72 east of town.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark and I will be there Saturday, but I will be a "no show" for Sunday. This stupid elbow thing (tendonitis) is still getting the best of me - I figured I was up for the kids ride though. ( I am bumming to as it would be my first real event on the new bike)

The son of a buddy of mine is thinking about doing the Sunday event - (originally assuming i would be there to help him out). This would be his first "real" enduro (he did two of the Family events last year), 18 yr old good ole farm boy on a XR250. Would any of you guys mind if I introduce him to some of you on Saturday so at least he might see some "familiar" faces to ask questions of Sunday?

Also - for his benefit - Mike, what sort of ground mileage is he looking at for Sunday? Or is this event one you would suggest a first timer stay away from (ie...what nasties did you sickos come up with when you laid it out!)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
KTM Mike said:
...Would any of you guys mind if I introduce him to some of you on Saturday so at least he might see some "familiar" faces to ask questions of Sunday?
He can hang with me Mike. This will be a break-in ride for me this weekend, so I don't expect to be setting any type of blistering pace. :ride:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Bill - that would be great! I will let him know. I dont want to discourage him when he has gotten bitten by the "enduro bug"! (seems like we are drug pushers trying to get people hooked! - seems the Family series had the desired effect in this case!). I will make sure to introduce you guys on Saturday.

Oh - I forgot to mention - on Saturday, Creeper9 will be there to ride with a newbie buddy (future bro in law?), a guy I know from Alpena trying it out as well (here is some inspiration for Fred, Mark and Woodsy - one year after major back surgery - who just a year ago was faced with possibility of not walking again!), and I think 2big will be there just for grins and giggles.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
Good luck for you guys heading out! I would be going, but I have a week straight of dress rehearsals, and then the big lights on the weekend.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I do think that Sunday will be a good ride for a newbie. I do not have any details on the trail as I plan to ride rather than work. I know it will be a combination of ORV trail and new trail and there will be speed changes. That's it...sorry.
I am glad so many DRNers will be there. I look forward to hanging out on Saturday afternoon. Satruday morning I will be very busy with the Pine Cone.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I'm planning on being there Saturday as a big kid. Sunday I'm fly fishing, second favorite leasure activity. :cool:

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
I was planning on going, but the cards were just not dealt in my favor for that weekend.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Absolutely, I am there! :cool:
Hoping to drag a few others with me... nzambon, Franko and Team GWG Captain Hugh G.
Maybe I'll be there early enough to help with the Pine Cone.
Staying at the EconoLodge, anyone got directions to staging?

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
I'll be there Sunday. 1st enduro. I'll be looking for a late row and some pointers.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Tean Marsh will be there helping with the Sat, run and racing on Sunday, stop by & say Hi.

Jeff, go to the light by Burger King & Rite Aid turn right, go 2 miles trailhead is on the north side of the road.

If anybody is looking for CR 612 on maps it has 3 different names Nash RD, County Road 612 or East Mile Rd. its confusing.

Don

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I have Team Marsh scheduled to run an early check on Saturday. Magoo, I have a few check crews that are not complete yet and I can alway use help at road crossings. I'll keep an eye out for you. Do you know a Frank Bailey? I got a call from the 906 area code about this weekend. I can tell it is NOT Franko.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Magoo said:
... Staying at the EconoLodge, anyone got directions to staging?
We stayed at the Kalkaska EconoLodge... once..... The pungent smell of currie still brings back great memories.

The Leetsville DNR trailhead is about 2.25 miles east of downtown, north side of Nash / 612 / East road.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Trevor Medley said:
I'll be there Sunday. 1st enduro. I'll be looking for a late row and some pointers.
I'll look for you Trevor. Any numbers on your bike? I'll have a mostly black w/orange tank 200 exc. #266 on the side plates.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Smit-Dog,
05 300 EXC #369. I am going to get up there to sign in Sat. Not sure where I will be staying.

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Don- thanks for the directions. I was having trouble finding 612 on Mapquest.
Mike- I don't know a Frank Bailey. There is only one Franko!
Bill- Ummm, EconoLodge not so nice? Got any alternate recommendations? Just need a clean, quiet place.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The EconoLodge was clean and spartan, but I wouldn't call it updated. Good value if you just need a warm, dry bed, and currie helps to clear your sinuses. For kicks, we tried the Granada across the street from the EconoLodge for last year's Pine Cone. Same type of deal, and me thinks they're both owned by the same family.

Met a guy and his young son at last year's Pine Cone who did stay at the EconLodge the night before. They had a good night's sleep, up until around midnight with the rave party started a few rooms away. I guess the music and drunks kept them up for a while, but the Kalkaski police put the hammer down and restored order to a town gone wild.... Trout Festival fever and all. FWIW, I always bring ear plugs when I travel.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
FYI, I'll be parking..er Becky will be parking the RV here:

http://kalkaskacampground.com/

Sparkey is gioing to be there too. I think they have some rental cabins there too. It looks like a nice quiet place.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
That is a really nice campground. We've stayed in the cabins. They're pretty rustic. I believe they have electricity and heat, but no bathrooms or running water. Two sets of bunk beds, you bring linens and blankets.

And I thought the UP would be representin' with the Zambon racer support RV rig!

pentonjd

Dec 13, 2001
Mike,
My boys and myself won't be able to attend the spring race. We are currently preparing to go the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals in Boulder Colorado. The boys are really disappointed that they can't ride in Saturday's race.

Hope to see all of you soon.

Jon

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I think that I'll make an appearance... :cool:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Tom Dixon said:
I think that I'll make an appearance... :cool:

Wow...can I get an autograph?!!!!!! :moon: As long as you dont think the drive will be to far for you that is!

See ya there Tom.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom