Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Just got back from the UP, and the Sandstormers put on a fun and challenging course. Thanks to all that helped. :cool:
I really has a hard time deciding if I was going, but in the end it was a great run.
Don

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
yeah

I heard they did a nice job and made it fun yet still challenging. Congrats on a class win, looks like I'll be chasing you from behind the rest of the season. :bang:

I'll be there next year though. :cool:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Whew! Glad that's over!

I think everyone went home tired and pleased with the event :cool:

Thanks to all who came and rode!

BIG THANKS to Smit-Dog for being such a help with the scoring program -- it worked really well and we had scores out in 1/2 hour!

Also thanks to f&s and the others who helped with the MiniMoose.

Sure missed Fred, ET and Nate; I'm sure that ET's graduation was super -- congratulations!

Lots of MTRs went home with the cool trophies we had this year -- I'll let Bill get the results put together and posted (I don't want to miss anyone).

BTW, we had 90 riders and I think I heard that 73 or 78 finished. Much better than previous years.

Thanks to trailboss Nick and enduro chairman Frank for a fine event this year!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
For all those that were discouraged from past LM events and vowed never to attend again really should give it another try next year no BS! Trail boss aka "fellow azzhole" Nick Z & comedian Frank made bingo on this one! :cool:

DW

PS. Nick - Frank & Magoo, you guyz coming down for the JP?..

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
A good time was had by all. The course was fun and challenging. Congrats to Smit-Dog 1st B-Senior and Don Marsh 1st SS.

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
MM :cool:
LM :cool:

Great racing in the UP!

- thanks for the lesson on Restarts. I needed it. :ugg:
Serves me right for buying one of those dang computers.

- thanks to the FES series and the time-keeping practice it provides - Mike zero'd the 1st loop and feels very accomplished.

We have learned a lot about racing at LM/MM.

A special thanks to CW for helping me with the Watchdog.

bbarel - should we ride the minute at JP?

:)

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
To Nick Magoo and all the other sandstormers for putting on a truly remarkable event! :cool:
I do not believe anyone complained! (except me for not thinking to check the vent tube.) :bang:
A special thanks to Bill Griffin for allowing this "whore" a bike to ride :)
And to the sweep crew that got me out of there.
I will be pleased to add you all again at next years sanctioning meeting.

Thanks to All the workers for a beautiful day in the U.P.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Kudos to the Sandstormers - we all had a great weekend in the UP.
All clubs need to learn from prior events and I think you guys nailed it!

The Mini Moose followed the traditional loop format, but you provided more miles on the 18mph loop. I did not hear anyone asking for more miles. MTR was well represented at the check # 3 and # 7. We had a check you could walk to from the staging area and we had 12 people at the final check. Many of them (including a couple of AA riders) had never worked a check before - another positive outcome for the FES!

I was a bit nervous about my first "A" attempt at the Loose Moose. I had our group to the riders meeting an hour early - sorry guys. The first section was a good challenge for everyone. The A/AA section was INTENSE!!! Very challenging trail and no chance to take a breathe while moving down the trail. Big Jack was very encouraging at the out check. It was very obvious when we merged back together with the other riders. It felt like the trail was 10 feet wide - it was not, but I found third gear!
We knew trailboss Nick was going to play some tricks. We did not dare leave the first gas early....no in check...gotcha. The sectionwas in the plains, but it was all new trail. Ken C. had a big part of this section, but could not be there this weekend. They called it Charlotte's web and it was a good mixture of moon rocks and plains. You had to concentrate on the moon rocks, but had a chance to breathe in the plains. Unfortunately, my concentration was lost on one moon rock, I missed the arrow painted on the rock and slid down a cliff backwards. Found myself between downed trees and 5 foot cliff. Worked to get the bike headed down hill, started it and jumped the downed trees. I got back on the trail, but I must have damaged the bike because it quit soon after this adventure.
My day ended riding double on KTM 250 with Trailboss Nick hauling my azz out of the woods.
My DNF did not dampen the experience. I plan to return next year. Nick may be handing the trail boss reigns to someone else, but I must congratulate the club on making the enduro experience a good one for the families on Saturday and all level of riders on Sunday. We look forward to another weekend of events next year.

We should consider ourselves blessed with our enduro series. Each event is challenging in its own way and requires the rider to prepare his bike and his body differently for the event. Thanks for the UP Sandstormers for TWO quality enduros!

Jun 23, 2006
I'd like to thank everyone that made this event possible. You did a great job! I'm looking forward to racing it again in 2008. I'll be back every year that this event happens.

:cool:

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
This race was so cool! :) I actually finished the B race, I was tricked into riding, instead of the C race. Which was fine by me, I really enjoyed the obstacles and I never needed any assistance.:yeehaw: I may even ride the B next year! Don't get me wrong I'm not fast, but I made it through. :cool:

BTW does anyone know anything about the guys taking our pictures on the trail and where we can get copies of those pictures?

SEAN

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
fatherandson said:
Unfortunately, my concentration was lost on one moon rock, I missed the arrow painted on the rock and slid down a cliff backwards. Found myself between downed trees and 5 foot cliff. Worked to get the bike headed down hill, started it and jumped the downed trees. I got back on the trail, but I must have damaged the bike because it quit soon after this adventure.
My day ended riding double on KTM 250 with Trailboss Nick hauling my azz out of the woods.
Well T-bone you faired well! I'm REALLY glad your heap hung in there until all the tough sections were completed! By the way from there on it was all French Fries & Cherry Pies to the checkered flag. :nener:

PS. Nick tells the story better :laugh:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Kind of a long post for a guy who did not ride the whole event....

The picture guy will send you a copy of the proof and ask that you purchase a full size version. Magoo will know how to get ahold of him.

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
duckboy said:
BTW does anyone know anything about the guys taking our pictures on the trail and where we can get copies of those pictures?
SEAN
Tom Buchkoe was taking the pictures, and will be sending out proofs for you to look at with an offer to buy a larger pic if you want.

He said he has some really good ones!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
A couple of highlights from this weekend....

a good friend and fellow KTM four stroke rider - Aaron Wright - took a step to the dark side. After the mini Moose, he took his long time girl friend to the beach of Lake Superior and proposed to her. She was very excited, but did not like the idea of getting married at Jack Pine 2008. I told her that LMC had a minister within the membership.

Alan Randt proved again that old guys are fast in the woods. He was second overall and was the first bike through everything - he rode row # 1. Tell me there was not a 2-3 point difference from row 1 to row 22. His great ride also did not allow the buckeyes to have the first two podium spots in the overall standings. Who knows maybe AR will be racing more D14 events this year. Watch out A seniors!

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
We all knew that Mr. Randt could still ride at a district AA level when he petitioned the AMA to be allowed down a class. Not saying anything bad about Alan, but I think he just wanted a few rides under his belt in his current class in order to get some conditioning and feel back without having to push ultra hard ending up injured. If I am correct in my assumption, can't fault him for making a decision like that! How old is DW anyway? I heard sixty somewhere. Oh wait, those were his knees.... ;)

Top Bottom