Spark Plugs

I'm a new rider with a 2003 kdx220. I was wondering how often you guys foul spark plugs. I seem to foul at least one every 40mi, and they are covered with black buildup. Is this normal, or is there a problem with my bike. Also, I am sure the fuel mix is right (that's what i guessed the problem was at first, but the bike continues to foul plugs very often).

trsrdr

Subscriber
I rode with the "used" plug that was in my '97 220 for over 2 years and was riding at least 2 weekends a month on varied trails/woods. I finally decided to put a new plug this year when I started HS's, but really can't tell a big difference. I'm running stock jets, with the clip adjusted to second from top? (leaner) position, airbox lid is removed with an FMF Gnarly Rev pipe and stock silencer. Oh yeah, I'm running 32:1 with Mobil 1 synthetic 2-stroke oil and have quite a bit of spooge. I'll lean it more if it fouls plugs, but it runs very good so why mess with it?

They do indeed come out of the show room very rich. Mine seemed to be worse than most. I ate two plugs per ride. Then I rejetted it per the recommendations on this site (do a search) and haven't fould one since. Bike runs better too. Easy job, no need to procrastinate.

Braahp

Subscriber
Try a NGK BR8EG plug instaed of the ES. Cured my fouling blues. You may need to rejet but I didn't. Airbox lid removed or drilled, clip 2nd from top is what I run. I now change it about once a year but it really doesn't need it.

kawa06:

Check the thread stuck to the top of this forum...'every kdx rider should read...'

Go to CDave's justkdx page. Read up on how to make your bike run much better (and lose the plug fouling goings on).

Yep. A BR8EG is an excellent choice, not as expensive as the even finer wire plugs (evx and such), but a step up from the ES.

Read and learn, grasshopper. (how many people know where that even comes from.......damn, I'm old, 'eh?)

re: devo
Well, no. And I never heard of Mark Mothersbaugh, neither.

'snatch the pebble' fits, though! ;)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
OK, now you guys tells me what the difference is between the BR8EG and the ES. Tell me just how one will foul more than the other.

I'm all ears. :)

I'm surprised you don't know the difference (since you asked). One is a fat nickel, one ain't. ;)

What I said: 'A BR8EG is an excellent choice, not as expensive as the even finer wire plugs (evx and such), but a step up from the ES.'

Ok now...let's all look for the word foul.........

First one to find it raise your hand!!!

tic
tock
tic
tock
tic
tock

....anyone found it yet? No? Really??? :think: HHhhmmmmm.......

BUT the fact of the matter is (and completely by-the-way), it is so.

And of course, you know why, too.

A fine wire will fire when a fat wire won't. It is not a substitute for 1/2 way decent jetting. If you are running a plug fouling machine, a change of plug type is going to matter pretty much nada.

..but...you know that, too! ;)

So glad to be of service!

Cheers!

Braahp

Subscriber
Canyn I would have agrred with that until a few years ago when I first got my KDX and it was fouling plugs left and right. Before diving into jetting I tried the simple plug change and low and behold no fouling! I first went to a 7ES which didn't foul but I felt was running a tad hot so then switched to the 8EG with no changes whatsoever than just the plug and it cured it immediately. So what does that say.............the plug will make a difference. Did with mine.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
Originally posted by canyncarvr
...If you are running a plug fouling machine, a change of plug type is going to matter pretty much nada.

..but...you know that, too! ;) 
I know you knew I knew, and I knew you knowed. :)

If your machine is fouling plugs, don't go looking for a better plug. It IS NOT the root cause of your problem.

(although I've heard that those 4 strap Splitfires are da bomb!)