cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Hey,
Any tips on how I should prep my bike for winter storage? It'll be stored in northern Minnesota (burrrrr!) in a mini-storage, non-heated. In the past with my street bikes I've just taken the battery out, put stabil in the fuel, and ran the gas out of the carbs. Same go for a 01 KDX220r??? Minus the battery of course :think :think :think :think . Or should I drain the gas completely out of the tank, take out plug and put oil into cylinder and kick couple times, etc. I've heard of these things but never actually done them. Any advice is appreciated. This may be my last weekend of riding, getting into the 50's here
:(

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Well like many other things there are a 1000 different opinions.

For my vehicles that I store (including lawnmowers, tractors) I do the following:

1) Change all the fluids, drain and put in fresh.
- Coolant (unless it's real fresh)
- Tranny oil / crank case oil.
This sets me up for the next year ready to go.

2) Gas
- on 4 stroke machines I fill them to reduce the air in the tank, add some Sta-bil or other preservative and a splash of carb cleaner (i.e Gumout)
- 2 strokes, run it, shut the gas off, run the gas out of the carb, then drain the tank. I read somewhere that pre-mix and sta-bil don't get along that well.

3) Lube everything that can be lubed (chain, cables, etc.)

Winter time is a good time to strip it down and replace the bearings (wheels, frame, etc).

-MD

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I'm confused. "Store" your bike? And what is this "winter" you speak of? This Texas rider does not understand.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
lol, well I only 'store' it for a couple of months. Real men ride in the snow.

But I'll be damned if you can make me mow the lawn when it's below 32 degrees. I can't stand beer slushies. :)

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Tried that snow riding here last winter when a freak snowstorm dropped four inches on the Red River Cycle Park. I was buzzing around on a recently purchased YZ125 while my kids used a makeshift snowboard. Their hands were too cold to ride (they had good sense), but they still managed to lob a few snowballs at me as I passed by each time. I ducked to dodge a well-placed missile my daughter had thrown, and the next thing I knew I was waaay sideways in fourth gear, and couldn't bring it back. Mr. Ear, meet Mr. Icy Frozen Ground. No helmet, of course; I was just foolin' around. Rang my bell pretty good. This year I hope winter falls on a Thursday and I won't have to worry about it.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Hardy har har. I guess the only counter I have is that at least it's not 84646843494369998895983 degrees every day up here. How's that sweaty ass treatin ya?

And we're not inundated with country music.

Ohhh, I lost my dog, my wife, my caaaaarrrrr. Twang da twang twang.

;)

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
It doesn't really get that hot here, although a recent visitor told me this summer that if he had a house in Texas and a house in Hell, he'd sell the house in Texas and move to Hell.

Really, though, the summers are rough. This year we got out of here for three weeks in August, and that made things pretty bearable. The weather is great now, though. Can't wait for Friday.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Many a day in January I wished I was in Texas. Many a day in August I wished I was in Alaska. Grass is always greener.

Hey, we could be in Afghanistan :scream: :scream: :scream:

As for the topic, I'll probably go with lubing everything, running the gas out of the carb, draining the tank, and kissing her goodbye for about 5 months.

Seeya

Oh, as for draining the tank, is it as simple as disconnecting the hose from the carb, or do you have to take the seat and tank off, etc? I guess my noviceness is showing. Bought the bike new this year and have ridden it about 7 weekends. Like it so far, next summer it's time for some mods.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Yes, it's almost as simple as un hooking the hose to the carb. When you get to the end you need to shut the gas off and lay the bike over to get all the fuel into that side of the tank :)

Top Bottom