strip paint from stock pipe

how can i strip the paint from the stock pipe on my 04RM250? i was thinking about sandblasting it but not sure if that would leave marks or not.. thanks

a454elk

Mexicutioner
That may be your only option, but it won't matter if there are marks. With bare metal, you can sand them off, doesn't matter. That stuff is baked on so it's gonna be tough to remove.

kawdude

Subscriber
I removed paint on my pipe (any everything else) with Permatex Gasket remover. Bubbles the paint in 5-10 seconds. Might want to try that before sandblasting.

The baked on paint may make a difference but its worth a shot.

thanks, ill try some of the paint remover then go on to sandblasting if it doesnt work.. i love the works look (Y)

I have an 03 RM 250 and sandblasted the pipe. After I blasted it, I used
WD-40 and a Scotchbrite pad to clean it up. It looked great!

hey bro, do you have any pics of your bike where i can see the pipe? or just the bike..? email me tojcic@rogers.com

I used a 4' makita angle grinder with a softer wire brush on it. I liked it. keep wd40 to keep it from rusting tho.

aircraft stripper or automotive stripper. you can get it at the "depot" or auto paint store. i dont recommend it, not only does it prevent rust but it hold heat.
your best bet is to pick a clear vht finish when your done stripping it.
look at the pj1 site for vht paint.

I sandblasted mine and that was the stupidist thing...I couldn't get that special hot paint, even heat cured, to stand up like the stock stuff.

jOKa.....have you tried to strip your pipe yet....if so how'd it look?

anyone with pics, please e-mail me, i'm interested in trying it on my '02 RM250.

thanks.

e-mail: fzrwilly@yahoo.ca

hey dood, i sand blasted my 04RM250 pipe tonight as well as my friends 02CR125 pipe.. they turned out grainy after the sandblast but i took some really fine sandpaper too it and it came out to a works look in one section, so tomorrow im going to sand it all down and make it perfect/./ i just bought a digital camera tonight so i can take pictures after! just remind me by posting in this topic and ill get an email to check it and remember

i sanded it all today and to my surprise (doh) it was rusted in one spot in the morning.. i guess the snow in the floor matt went onto the pipe