Tech 8 vs Tech 6

MXFastGuy

Lifetime Sponsor
I love my Tech 8's but they need replacing. $300 is getting a little steep, so I'm considering the Tech 6's which are about a hundred bucks cheaper.

What are the differences between the two? Who's tried them both, and what do you think?

what I think is that the price of the 8's is complete BS up here in Canada eh. $700-$800 for a pair of boots, yea right.

I tried the switch to see if the Tech 6's would be lighter and feel more comfortable/ less restrictive. What I found was that they were not any more or less restrictive. They fit a bit looser in the ankle, which I didn't like, and that was after going down to the next size.

I didn't even ride with them long enough to fully break them in - they just didn't give me that good, comfortable boot feeling. Also, the ankle 'wore' on my a little funny.

I kept going back to my Tech 8's. I hate to break in a new set, but I think the extra money is worth it. Another factor was I didn't want to find myself in a doctor's office second guessing what might have been different had I been wearing a 'premiere' boot.

My opinion, after some actual testing, is pay the extra hundred bucks and get the Tech 8's. There seems to be no downside but the cost.

i actually think the tech 6's fit me the best i tried tech 8's and they were too fat for me. mx south has tech 6's on sale too for $179 that is where i got mine at.

mxmathew
Machine racing has tech 8's for $500 Canadian, in their winter 2004 catalog.

I've used (have) both, in fact I've been thru 3 pairs of Tech 8's, 2 pairs of Tech 6's. For comfort, Tech 6's. The 8's are heavy and thick in the ankles, the 6's light and have always provided enough protection.... Is the extra protection/bulk of the Tech 8 worth the extra dollars? Fortunately, I've never had to find out.

Smitdog is that your toe? What is that sticking out of the end, a nail? How could a different boot have prevented that? Inquiring minds want to know. :think:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
mxmatthew, Machine's site is http://www.machineracing.com The price listed on the site for Tech 8's is $549.99 Canadian. If you call they may have another deal if the pricing is different from their catalog. Also I know a local KTM dealer here ( http://www.gregscustom.com ) is selling out 03 Tech 8 stock for $399 Canadian but only while current stock lasts as they want to blow them out since there is some sort of change to the 04 model tech 8 boot. Greg's doesn't have any online shopping set up so you'd have to give them a call, but they are great folks to deal with.

Last edited:

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
Somehow I don't think that whatever is sticking out of that toe is a desired aftermarket accessory.. Man that is making my knees hurt just looking at it.

I have been using a pair of Tech 6's for about a year now and they have been good boots up to this point. Never have owned 8's, just can't bring myself to pay for em when 6's are so much cheaper. But you may look on E-Bay and see if there is a good used set of 8's on there. Friend of mine picked up some practically new (wore 2x) Tech 8's for $200 if memory serves me right.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
No, that's not my toe. And I believe that the pin is there to keep all the smashed up bones in place.

And as for the big toe nail, it's really an unnecessary, non-functional piece of equipment.

But think of the $125 the guy saved! :think:

MXFastGuy

Lifetime Sponsor
Thanks for all the comments. I've decided to go with the Tech 8's again. Not b/c I think they offer much more protection, but b/c I know they fit me right, and I think the quality, finish, and durability would be hard to beat.