MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I love my Tech 8's but they need replacing. $300 is getting a little steep, so I'm considering the Tech 6's which are about a hundred bucks cheaper.

What are the differences between the two? Who's tried them both, and what do you think?

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I tried the switch to see if the Tech 6's would be lighter and feel more comfortable/ less restrictive. What I found was that they were not any more or less restrictive. They fit a bit looser in the ankle, which I didn't like, and that was after going down to the next size.

I didn't even ride with them long enough to fully break them in - they just didn't give me that good, comfortable boot feeling. Also, the ankle 'wore' on my a little funny.

I kept going back to my Tech 8's. I hate to break in a new set, but I think the extra money is worth it. Another factor was I didn't want to find myself in a doctor's office second guessing what might have been different had I been wearing a 'premiere' boot.

My opinion, after some actual testing, is pay the extra hundred bucks and get the Tech 8's. There seems to be no downside but the cost.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i actually think the tech 6's fit me the best i tried tech 8's and they were too fat for me. mx south has tech 6's on sale too for $179 that is where i got mine at.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've used (have) both, in fact I've been thru 3 pairs of Tech 8's, 2 pairs of Tech 6's. For comfort, Tech 6's. The 8's are heavy and thick in the ankles, the 6's light and have always provided enough protection.... Is the extra protection/bulk of the Tech 8 worth the extra dollars? Fortunately, I've never had to find out.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Smitdog is that your toe? What is that sticking out of the end, a nail? How could a different boot have prevented that? Inquiring minds want to know. :think:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
mxmatthew, Machine's site is http://www.machineracing.com The price listed on the site for Tech 8's is $549.99 Canadian. If you call they may have another deal if the pricing is different from their catalog. Also I know a local KTM dealer here ( http://www.gregscustom.com ) is selling out 03 Tech 8 stock for $399 Canadian but only while current stock lasts as they want to blow them out since there is some sort of change to the 04 model tech 8 boot. Greg's doesn't have any online shopping set up so you'd have to give them a call, but they are great folks to deal with.

Last edited:

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
Somehow I don't think that whatever is sticking out of that toe is a desired aftermarket accessory.. Man that is making my knees hurt just looking at it.

I have been using a pair of Tech 6's for about a year now and they have been good boots up to this point. Never have owned 8's, just can't bring myself to pay for em when 6's are so much cheaper. But you may look on E-Bay and see if there is a good used set of 8's on there. Friend of mine picked up some practically new (wore 2x) Tech 8's for $200 if memory serves me right.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
No, that's not my toe. And I believe that the pin is there to keep all the smashed up bones in place.

And as for the big toe nail, it's really an unnecessary, non-functional piece of equipment.

But think of the $125 the guy saved! :think:

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Thanks for all the comments. I've decided to go with the Tech 8's again. Not b/c I think they offer much more protection, but b/c I know they fit me right, and I think the quality, finish, and durability would be hard to beat.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Or is this really worth $125 to you? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think 125.00 is a great del for this? Did it come with the fancy pin, or was that a "Value added" feature the Dr. put in?  Wow ...ouch. My best to you if this is on your foot!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
Is the extra protection/bulk of the Tech 8 worth the extra dollars? Fortunately, I've never had to find out.

Thanks for posting that Okie. I'm considering new boots soon and I definately want something with the best ankle protection after snapping the shifter on a YZ250 off with my boots. Fortunately I did not break anything but it did show me that I want the most ankle protection possible.

Ivan

Ciqir

Nov 2, 2001
I hate to say it but I just busted a toe wearing Sidi SRS's. I clipped another rider right in the footpeg at speed and the hard plastic toe area broke in and whacked my toe.
Yes a Tech boot may have allowed damage too, but I think the more pliable area may also have absorbed some of that impact energy instead of snapping and bringing it all home. At the very least it puts them on about the same level in this regard.

The SRS's were a good boot for a couple of seasons albeit on the bulky side and without a lot of feel.

On top of it all, as modular as the SRS's are, Sidi can't sell me just a lower shell and won't fix it as crash damage is not covered under warranty. So much for being honest and straightforward. So last night I went limping around and trying on competitors boots, even after Sidi offered to sponsor me and give me a commensurate discount.
It's a real toss up for me at this point between Tech 6's and Fox Bubba's. In trying on boots I just had a hard time talking myself into another set of space boots (bulky).

Take it easy--

Ciqir

Nov 2, 2001
As a matter of fact Tech8's were the first boots I tried on this week. The Sidi's are physically a little thicker right through and just above the ankle. Wearing them however didn't leave me with the impression that the Sidi's were any more or less bulky than the Tech8's, and what you could feel through the boot was about the same.
Not that Tech8's have a reputation for a righteous break in, but take into consideration that this comparo was between used Sidi's and new Tech8's.

I settled on some Tech6's and found a local retailer that will match a magazine ad price, so I'll be picking those up tonight or tomorrow so I can ride Sunday.

Take it easy all--

Ciqir

Nov 2, 2001
Spent yesterday breaking in my new Tech6's around the house and rode about 35 miles of mostly singlgetrack today. First impression? I dig the tech6's in most every way. They are more comfortable, lighter, less noisy, easier to walk in, and really put me in touch with the pegs.

I broke them in by spray bottling an alchohol/water solution on the interior flex areas, then wearing them until they dry. The alchohol opens the pores in the leather as well as makes the moisture evaporate quicker. Did squats, lean forwards, and straight ankles throughout to aid getting flexy.

The soles on the SRS's are very thick and inflexible. The Tech6's not nearly so, and thus were easier to walk in as they actually flexed when walked. I might be giving away a little protection (maybe), but it seems to be offset and more by the comfort and flexibility.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my SRS's. If however the Tech6's show near the durability of them, they will be head and shoulders above in my opinion.

Cheers--

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I just ordered a new pair of Tech 8's from Southwestmototire.com for $260 USD including shipping. After 10 years my Tech 7s are being laid to rest....

Has anybody tried a orthotic in the Tech 8s? I run Superfeet orthotics (non-custom) in my Tech 7s and my ski boots and they make a huge difference for me.

Brian

Top Bottom