bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
so it seems that the AMA MX series is now becoming littered with them overhyped, top heavy, hopped up trail bikes, and the numbers of lightweight, good turning 2-stroke, sweet handling, race bikes are dwindling, not surprizing since the thumpers are allowed much bigger cheater engines.

so, is it time to accept the inevitable? what would be a good name, MX1, MX2 like in Europe, or just call it the 250 and 450 class? or should we stick to 125 and 250 class?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
fender92883 said:
I've heard Full-size and Mid-size suggested before

LOL- just like the good ole American SUV (sport utility vehicle)- maybe marcus was right, race them on saturday (sport) and heard cattle on sunday (utility).

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
here is a pick of an SUV for the rest of the world that dont know what one is:

Attachments

• EPD04XLS_jb_roll.gif
    EPD04XLS_jb_roll.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 484

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yes matey, but dont forget the 10 rows of seats in the back for all the kids, big plush sofa like seats, DVD player and all the what nots. if a ferrari is the road going equivalent of a works 125, the SUV is the road going equivalent of the XR450F/crf or whatever they are called, big long and heavy with mushy suspension and are really top heavy when going around corners, bad handling etc etc- quite a good analogy! :) a

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
bclapham said:
so it seems that the AMA MX series is now becoming littered with them overhyped, top heavy, hopped up trail bikes, and the numbers of lightweight, good turning 2-stroke, sweet handling, race bikes are dwindling, not surprizing since the thumpers are allowed much bigger cheater engines.

so, is it time to accept the inevitable? what would be a good name, MX1, MX2 like in Europe, or just call it the 250 and 450 class? or should we stick to 125 and 250 class?
I think what you mmeant was this. See below, I reworked your paragraph.

So it seems that the AMA MX series is now becoming littered with over-powered, high-tech, Indy inspired thumpers, and the numbers of clapped out, oil mixing 2-stroke, smoke emitting, top end changin', race bikes of yester-year are dwindling, quite surprizing actually since the thumpers have 50 times the number of moving internals.

So, it time to accept the inevitable. What would be a good name, MX1, MX2 like in Europe, or just call it the 250 and 450 class? or should we stick to 125 and 250 class?

At least I think that is what you meant.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Call it the 250 and 450 class. Allow 144 cc 2-strokes in the 250 class and 250 cc 2-strokes in the 450 class. It used to be we would have to know the cc limit for 4-strokes in each class, might as well flip flop. Majority rules!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Thump said:
At least I think that is what you meant.

nope, sorry, maybe i didnt make myself clear enough- maybe i should have said something about these noisy contraptions that need twice as many cc's to make the same power.

I must admit though, Honda did a great job of making a bike for the ProPractice masses with the CRF- to their credit, MXA nailed that one. :thumb:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Actually they are allowed 2X the cc but they make more power. :moon:

Lets see what the guys are riding in the outdoor season. Yanno, mullets went out in the early 90's but some people still run it strong. 2-smokes are the mullet of the new millinium, like it or not.:thumb:

And tey are noisey so the so called "local racer" with their heads up their asses can hear them coming as they are getting lapped... :laugh:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Thump said:
And tey are noisey so the so called "local racer" with their heads up their asses can hear them coming as they are getting lapped... :laugh:

too true, but yes, i forgot that "lapped" isnt a word in the propractice vocabulary!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The AMA already has had a name for the classes. They do not call them 250 and 125 classes in the rule book. Page 17, section 2(a)1 puts the class descriptions like this...

Class 2:100cc - 125cc 2-strokes and 126cc - 250cc 4 strokes.
Class 3:126cc - 250cc 2-strokes and 251cc - 450cc 4strokes.

Check out http://www.ama-cycle.org/rulebooks/04amrules.pdf

There is no mention of the 125 class versue the 250 class. Those are marketing terms used in the media and by the organization as a result of tradition and repitition. The formal names are not that.

No need to come up with a new name. Just use the proper one instead of the one that has been markete.

Then again, I do not race at the pro level so I probably mis-read that b/c I'm too stupid to read anything besides practice times.

Ivan

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
bclapham said:
too true, but yes, i forgot that "lapped" isnt a word in the propractice vocabulary!
I beg to differ. I lapped the track several times.

You want to know what is really funny? When guys at the track ask me if I am racing the next weekend (trying to get an idea on their competition I guess) I tell them I have never raced. Then when I pass them on the track they look down at their bike as if something is wrong with it. Pull off and let me go... The next lap around they usually jump back in behind me and try to find the pride they lost the previous lap. Some do, but the ones that don't pull off again and look at their bike quizically trying to fool anyone that witnessed what just happened into thinking it was a mechanical issue. "Local racerheads" can't stand to get spanked by an average joe pro-practice guy.

Now I am certainly not saying I am a fast guy.... I only pass the guys that ride the beginner class... and that is on my good days. :thumb:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
they look down at their bike as if something is wrong with it
I use that for everything! Typically though, out of breath, arm pump (I get arm pump driving to the track), hand cramps, ham cramps, cotton mouth, stained my drawers (looking) at the last triple... you know, after a lap or two. But somehow, I always end-up smiling.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I think the rule ought to be "Be what you is."

If you is a 250 you race 250s. If you is down on power because you isn't smart enough to buy the high powered machine, you DESERVE to lose.

Kinda reminds me of that song by Rush, "Trees." Gotta cut down the mighty oak so the puny maples can get light.

Somebody call the WAAAAAmbulance for the 4 pokes.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Leave it as it is. Don't mess with tradition. I don't care how dumb it sounds in 2012 when they're racing 500cc vegetable-oil diesels in the 125 class and 750 cc "VODs" in the 250 class.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It does get confusing when talking of the 250s-you always have to state 2 or 4 stroke, we are seeing a small backlash agianst 4 strokes, the main gripes are , not starting, and when they break its costs a seasons budget to repair.If i had a 250f they needed a engine rebuild i would have to give up for the season-hi tech im not so sure, it takes twice the engine size to make it work and wont start and costs the earth to repair, you can keep your f1 technology if it means im not able to afford to race-thats not progress for the man on the street-but it lines the pockets of the bike makers.

Top Bottom