kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
OKIE, Im getting a sneaky suspecion that you don't like 2-strokes :laugh: . Whats the problem bro? Did you have a bad experience with your 80 when you were just a lad. All a 250 needs to wax a 450 is 50 more ccs, then you would be singing a different tune.

Quote By OKIE:
Hey whatever though. Be sure to keep that 2S, cause they won't be any new ones soon. Rather that's good or bad... you decide.

I think its pretty obvious that no more 2-strokes would be a bad thing. even if you don't like 2-strokes, certain kinds of bikes becoming extinct mostly because of government intervention is not something you should be glad about.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Not really... I've had both, liked both and wouldn't rule-out having another 2-Stroke by any means. (I do however prefer the electric power of a 4-Stroke) I just find the discussion interesting.

There's a change coming and not a damn thing we can do about it and frankly, there never was. WAY too many $$ behind the legislation for us to fight it, EVEN IF enough of us actually got together.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
Theres a way to stick it to the MAN :moon:

Don't buy 4-strokes!!!!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
So what about all the new people to the sport? when you can only buy 4 strokes, you want to take them to a dealer and let them rape you to do work on it? want to learn how to maintain your mini F1 engine yourself? tell me how many people want to buy 4 strokes that are 3 years old? never was like that with the 2 strokes, the 4 strokes are different and do have advantages and disadvantages, for the future of our sport i feel we will see this isnt a great thing, people are already scared of the stories they hear, it will be a richer mans sport in the future.

Sorry but thats how i see it, the people who gain are the makers and dealers.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
marcusgunby said:
, it will be a richer mans sport in the future..

Too true and very sad IMO- look at the price difference between a 125 and a 250F- at least $500-700 MSRP

now the 125 isnt competative, anyone wanting to buy a bike for little Jonny to race has to bring even more bling to the table. when he wads up and ruins the pipe there is another $600 instead of the usual $150-200

as for the future of the sport, i dont think its a good thing, the noise is just too much- recently we had a track here at the Pomona fairgrounds, they had to go through numerous checks and most stock thumpers failed the sound yet most 2 strokes were fine, even with shorty silencers. well, they got the place open but it didnt last long, the deep thumper sound travelled well to the nearby houses. it doesnt help when mags come out with classics such as "it is a known fact that more noise equals more power" during a review of a thumper pipe

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
marcusgunby said:
tell me how many people want to buy 4 strokes that are 3 years old? never was like that with the 2 strokes

I think that is a very good point.

I love my 4-stroke and am not sure I could ride a 2-stroke as fast as I do my diesel. I've been tempted to try a GG300 as that would be the only 2-stroke I would ever buy... simply b/c the dealer treats me so well and that is the only GG I like.

However, I would not buy a used 4-stroke. I could get one in great shape from the GG dealer b/c they sell all of Randy Hawkins practice bikes but I am not sure what was done.

I think that says something... if it was a 2-stroke of Randy Hawkins I probably would buy it, replace the rings and go. But with a 250F there is no way I would buy it b/c I know he would have revved the piss out of it so I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I replaced the crank as well.

But, that may be the manufacturers goal? Freeze up the used market? Hmmm...

Ivan

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yes, more good points- right now you cant give a 2 stroke away- everyone wants thumpers, but even more interesting are the financing deals- most are getting new bikes, that said the resale on thumpers is still good.

i was talking to Jody last saturday, his opinion was that once a thumper has two seasons its like a ticking time bomb. then if you hot rod them, call it a season instead! all of those extra moving parts cost more to produce and it only takes one small part to take down the whole motor. during the conversation, a friend of mine that races pro said that he would race a 2 stroke but they are so hard to sell on.

myself, i would not touch a used thumper with a barge pole! but then, i never want a used bike ever again anyhow, LOL.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Nope that was a advance okie, slower(for the same size engine) and heaviers noisier bikes are not a advance-its more like your 4 smoke is the steam version really:)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
marcusgunby said:
-its more like your 4 smoke is the steam version really:)
:worship:

When I was talking to John Beasly, the owner of Budds Creek awhile back, one of the reasons he had to cut out the weekly practice sessions was because of the noise of the 4 bangers. Since everyone is on one and most riders have a racing exhaust, he got too many complaints. :(

So just how are we better off now? The bikes cost more to maintain and to hop-up. They are louder and that can close riding areas. They average 2 qt's of oil on every oil change and that needs to be done often. Ever wonder where all that oil is ending up?? I doubt it's all being re-cycled. They don't burn as much oil as a 2smoke but they do use oil.

In the latest Transworld mag all 3 testers had their best average lap times on the Service Honda CR 500 over the CRF450! They did comment that the CR was more effort to ride, but so what, I thought this sport was supposed to be tough!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
At Last Somethimg Me Bruce And Steve Agree On :) :)

4 strokes must have std silencers here in the championship events.Many tracks are struggling with noise, funny thing is this weekend people said they could here me coming as mine sounds so different now we have so few 2 strokes. :aj:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
steve125 said:
I knew after a thousand threads or so, it was bound to happen :yeehaw: :thumb:

no, its because we all race- and these top heavy hopped up trail bike are good for nothing other practise riding! :thumb:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
truespode said:
Hey.... I race!!!

I even run an MX on Saturday and HS on Sunday (depending on the scheduling but I've done two of those so far this season).

Ivan

Good man Ivan, now theres some spirit, i think we should let you off!!!:) i wish i could race both days also, but not enough time.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I went through the 4t phase for a couple of years. But the expense of the bike compared to the 2t and the weight convinced me to go back to the 2t. Now I did get the closest thing to a 4t that I could get. I went back to a KTM 300 EXC. Another benefit was that as much as I fall, it sure was easier to pick up after about the fifth crash.

But I can honestly say that I was not faster or slower on either the 4stroke or 2stroke. Unless the energy after picking up the heavier bike diminished my speed. But after so many falls, it really is a moot point now isn't it :) ?

Another point for maintenance and repairs: When it comes to replacing piston and rings. I can do it just about as fast as a valve adjustment on the 4t and you don't have to do it nearly as often.

I think they are both fine motorcycles, but right now for my money and riding preferences I will have to stay on the smoker.

Top Bottom